Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

earldiltz

Re: Green Screen over HDMI

Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:13 am

Here is my solution to the green screen problem with my Phillips tv, I have a Phillips up-converting dvd player and if I turn it on and let it switch over to its hdmi port and then switch manually to my roku hdmi port with my tv remote it works every time. I don't know if that will work with other hdmi devices but it works for me and it beats unplugging the hdmi cable every time.

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 am

deppeler wrote:
dbrand666 wrote:
This issue has been around for a long time. The only thing I've found that works is using the component output instead of hdmi.

Does that give you 1080p or just 720p?

HDMI is the only thing that will give you 1080p

deppeler

Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:31 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
deppeler wrote:
dbrand666 wrote:
This issue has been around for a long time. The only thing I've found that works is using the component output instead of hdmi.

Does that give you 1080p or just 720p?

HDMI is the only thing that will give you 1080p

Ok, and seeing the my (newish) tv does only 1080/24p that means I'll never get 1080p through the Roku.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:21 pm

deppeler wrote:
Ok, and seeing the my (newish) tv does only 1080/24p that means I'll never get 1080p through the Roku.

There's almost no 1080P content being streamed to the Roku yet anyway. I see your posts in a lot of topics about it, but I'm wondering why it's such a big deal.

deppeler

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:06 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
deppeler wrote:

There's almost no 1080P content being streamed to the Roku yet anyway. I see your posts in a lot of topics about it, but I'm wondering why it's such a big deal.

It all came about because I tried to play 1080p content and couldn't...then I thought there was something wrong with my Roku (seeing that others could play those streams).

mokeiko

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:38 pm

I just got my first geen screen last night. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem and quite frankly, I was happy with my new roku up until now. Looking forward to an update to fix this problem. As mentioned from another post, I turned off my TV and turned it back on and that fixed the problem. Disconnecting the power from the Roku and re-connecting it back didnt fix the green screen although it has worked for other people. YMMV.

mokeiko

cubbyboy57

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:08 pm

I have had my ROKU for about a year and never had this problem until the update that installed HULU Plus came out. I am not an expert but I suspect they had to add some extra DRM as on the internet it seems this is related to the "do not copy" protection of the HDMI interface. I can't turn off my TV (only goes into "sleep" mode) which I am guessing is the 'problem', I have to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable (composite is not an option as it is in use by another device). Seems like a simple fix would be to add a command in the "sleep" or "wakeup" routine that would reset the connection on the ROKU side or add a combo of remote presses (the remote works fine while the display is locked up). Or even the ability to software restart the ROKU would be fine with me (it boots quickly!)

Utrph77004

Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:23 pm

Add me to the list of this on going thread. Come on Roku. This has been going on for over 1.5 years! What does it take to fix this problem?

After inactivity, the screen goes green using HDMI. Unplug the HDMI cable and replug, and all is well. (This is muc faster than power cycling, but that works too.)

Can an engineer write a subroutine to disconnect video after inactivity and then reconnect once it receives remote activity? Doesn't seem that hard.

I have a Phillips 47" 1080p capable HDTV.

schwally

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:34 pm

Add me to the list. Is there any way to add a pole of current users to create a database/number? Maybe a poll or something like how many have had the green screen how many have not?

cmaronmurphy

Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Yeah, I like that idea - keep track of the mass scale on which this occurs. To be fair to ROKU, this is, indeed, and HDMI HDCP issue for which there is probably no guaranteed fix within their power. However, a good first step may be to implement a setting which allows one to turn off HDMI Control. This is a feature popping up in most A/V receivers, Blu-ray players, etc. Despite it being "always on", issuing a first command from the wake state certainly has an affect on the HDMI connection with the TV - in affect a hand-shake request. HDMI is turning out to be as inconsistent as Bluetooth in many ways. BUT it looks amazing and has a great GUI.

hiker951

Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:27 pm

Add me to the "green screen after prolonged inactivity (e.g. overnight)" club. My experiences are similar to many of those described here. I learned that I could disconnect and reconnect the HDMI at the Roku to get it working again. This seems to fix the problem quickly but is still a significant nuisance. Since my Roku XD/S (purchased in December 2010 so that I conclude this is still a problem for new boxes) is connected through an HDMI switch, next time I plan to try simply switching away from the Roku followed by switching back.

Even if Roku can't fix the issue easily, it seems that they could at least put something about it in the user guide and/or the"Ask a Question" on the support page. I didn't find anything in the user guide. I just searched for "green" at http://support.roku.com/home and found the text quoted below which does not seem to be directly related to the inactivity green screen.

If you see a blue or green screen, try this:

On both your Roku player and your TV or receiver, unplug each end of the connectors and plug them back in again, pushing them firmly, all the way in. Try viewing the video again. Sometimes, the blue or green screens are the result of a loose connector.

If you continue to see only a blue or green screen, your TV or receiver may not support HDCP (a copy-protect method) over HDMI. This is generally true for older TV models that have early HDMI implementations that do not follow current standards. Try connecting your player with another cable, such as a component cable."

alexape

Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:29 pm

ROKU Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Green :mrgreen:

bklevins

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:17 am

I solved this problem by changing the screen saver from the default "Roku" to the digital clock.
Bill

cmaronmurphy

Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:27 pm

So long ROKU I've had enough... Too bad, as the product is a good one. However, I and my clients can no longer afford to be bothered by this issue. AppleTV has now become our standard for Netflix delivery - 1080P or no, if I or my clients have to be rebooting systems or unplugging cables, I'll lose customers.

ldnguyen45

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:00 pm

Got my green screen 3 days ago. I thought I was the only one with bad luck until I stumbled upon this read. Wow! Amazing how long this problem has existed and nothing has been done about it. I've emailed tech support back and forth for 3 days and have been given the usual runaround talk. Unfortunately, the random fix solutions that were provided in this thread at best, worked randomly for me. Most of the time, I just get the green screen still. I guess I'll use the component cables until I get frustrated enough to throw my Roku XD out the window! :evil: :twisted: :evil: