Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dcxbox
Topic Author

netflix just struck a deal with starz for starz play

Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:12 pm

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - DVD rental company Netflix Inc said on Tuesday it has reached a deal to provide about 2,500 titles from Starz Entertainment LLC's broadband subscription service to the Netflix's Web streaming service.

Terms were not disclosed.

The deal marks a major milestone for Netflix in its efforts to license newer content for its "Watch Instantly" streaming service, which offers viewing from a library of over 12,000 titles, most of which are older releases.

Netflix and other fledgling online video providers have been struggling to obtain subscription rights for digital delivery from Hollywood studios, particularly for newer release films.

In this case, Starz, a unit of Liberty Media Corp, made an investment in rights to offer subscription movies across all electronic delivery platforms for its "Starz Play" broadband service and is now selling the service through affiliate partnerships such as Netflix. It reached a similar deal with Verizon Communications.

The additional Starz films will be included on the Netflix "Watch Instantly" service at no additional charge to subscribers with unlimited subscription plans, starting at $8.99 a month. Subscribers will also have an opportunity to watch a live feed of the Starz TV network on their PCs.

The first of the Starz titles -- about 1,000 -- are available immediately at the Netflix Web site and more titles will be added in coming weeks, the companies said in a release.

"The coupling of Starz Play with our growing library of streaming content is an important step forward for both companies and for consumer choice," said Ted Sarandos, chief content officer for Netflix.

"Our deal reflects the creative ways we are working with content partners to expand the profile and the number of choices our subscribers can watch instantly over the Internet, in addition to the 100,000 titles we offer on DVD through the mail," he said

Netflix also said that as part of the deal it will offer a Starz Play-only subscription for $7.99 a month.

Starz said the deal marks a significant step in its efforts to reach affiliate deals for its broadband service.

http://www.reuters.com/article/industry ... ZR20081001

i hope roku is able to get starz to add the live starz stream to the roku box for netflix subscribers :)

celving

Re: netflix just struck a deal with starz for starz play

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:00 am

dcxbox wrote:
i hope roku is able to get starz to add the live starz stream to the roku box for netflix subscribers :)

Why would you want the live feed? The Netflix catalog will have all the same titles, can be paused, and starts whenever you want.

dcxbox
Topic Author

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:32 am

celving wrote:
dcxbox wrote:

Why would you want the live feed? The Netflix catalog will have all the same titles, can be paused, and starts whenever you want.

not every thing thats on the on demand service is on the live feed though.

teddman

STARZ CONTENT NOW LIVE

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:43 am

The Starz content just went live:

http://www.netflix.com/BrowseSelection?sgid=gev

They have TONS of new releases now! This seriously upgrades their catalog and makes the Roku a better value than ever...

sensrhps

Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:38 am

Holy Moley!! I just filled my Instant Watch Queue to capacity. Time to prune the older flicks to make room for the new stuff. Great move to Netflix. And Roku gets a 4 thumbs up for easily bridging the gap between the internet and TV!

shelleyp

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:20 am

Netflix is de boss.

I have become a clicking fool this morning. So many movies, so little time. Also feeling very smug to have purchased second Roku box before the rush.

jtk

Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:35 am

Yes, this is great news. I was considering getting rid of the Roku box because of the content, but then CSI and some other good shows showed up. This just makes it better. Just wish I could get the UFC on it...

Has anybody watched the Starz content yet? I heard elsewhere that the quality was not as good as the other Watch Instantly content (note that I have not had a chance to check it out for myself yet).

davedave

Live Starz TV Channel on Roku

Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:55 am

How will the Roku box support the Live Starz TV Channel? There doesn't seem to be any way to add it to your netflix queue -- appears you can only view it via a PC. And even that isn't working for me right now.

dcxbox
Topic Author

Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:49 am

so how is the stars play quality on tv? anyone try yet, i read in a post at hacking netflix that its way below netflix watch it now quality

teddman

Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:24 pm

dcxbox wrote:
so how is the stars play quality on tv? anyone try yet, i read in a post at hacking netflix that its way below netflix watch it now quality
That post is completely wrong as far as I can tell... I've watched a smattering of movies both new and old from the new Starz selections, and as far as I can tell the quality is consistent with the regular Netflix Watch Instantly catalog. Just fine.

The only difference you'll notice is a brief Starzplay logo at the beginning that lasts a few seconds.

lovemytoys

Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:41 pm

I agree, I looked at two films - one old and one new and feel the quality is equal to the regular Neflix.

Great job Netflix!!!

RebelElvis10

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:21 pm

Wow! I am very pleased with Netflix. And hopefully soon Roku will have some more content providers as well! Get the best of both worlds.

dcxbox
Topic Author

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:41 pm

i just wish netflix would work a deal out with the wwe for wwe 24/7
on demand that they have on cable and the wwe 24/7 legacy service they have on wwe.com and combine the 2 with same quality as the cable on demand one, and maybe add current wwe tv programming raw smackdown and ecw , those could be streamed a day after they air on tv.

wwe would be a huge partner for netflix, since well they get the highest tv ratings on cable

i would also love netflix to work with hbo and showtime

hbo because of feature films and original tv content

and showtime since they are getting out of major movies
and starting to focus on only showtime originals

and both have boxing and showtime has mma

NDbentley

Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:52 pm

I just wish they would offer HD contents. What are they waiting for?

mjarchdelux

Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:08 pm

celving wrote:
dcxbox wrote:

Hopefully this would be the first of many different live feeds (not just movie channels), like say cbs and disney/abc, among whatever other networks/studios they can aquire.