Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DoomsDay

Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:17 pm

dcxbox wrote:
so how is the stars play quality on tv? anyone try yet, i read in a post at hacking netflix that its way below netflix watch it now quality

I watched 1 starz film so far and the quality is exactly the same as netflix. Looked great and played well.

Bron

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:34 pm

Woo Hoo! I was already pretty happy with the content for the price, this and the other new deals just sign validate what they have been saying and my belief that they would follow through.

I think this gives Netflix a big lead in the race to move to the 'new era' of content delivery. Everyone else will be playing catchup. And Roku is also well positioned and have a place in history with the Roku NP box (not to mention their other products and the earlier ReplayTV ventures of Wood and others.)

I already have more content than I can possibly watch. This really exacerbates that problem. But not a bad problem to have. ;)

MCWHAMMER

Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:38 am

I've never had the Starz channel, but I found this partnering to be a great thing for Netflix. I have already added 45 of their new movies to my Queue, most of which were already in my regular queue, or I had planned to see eventually. Now to play catch up, I reduced my Netflix subscription to 1 at a time, because I've got a lot of work to do.

Awesome. I didn't think the promises of Partners were going to come to fruition.
http://www.listia.com/?r=40548 - The Free eBay
http://twitter.com/MattChance

dlcrouch

Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:32 am

i promised myself i'd wait until Netflix had more new content before i ordered the player.
This iw what i was waiting on. Just ordered mine last night.

shelleyp

Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:41 am

I glanced through half a dozen selections and found the quality to be comparable to other Netflix offerings.

The newer movies, such as Surfs Up, et al, are better quality, probably because they're made in the digital age. But this is the same with other movies Netflix has had -- depends on how well the item is digitalized, it's age, etc. Again, no different than other Netflix offerings.

It would be nice to get HD, but I think it was more important to focus on fresh content than higher resolution.

No, this was a smart deal on Netflix's part, and a good deal for us.

wonderbird

New StarZ content helps a lot...

Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:02 pm

I was already happy with the value offered by the Roku / Netflix Player option but am happy to see the new Starz content that recently became available. I am still looking forward to seeing what other content outside of netflix becomes available on the player. (as alluded to several months ago)

To anyone trying to figure out if a Roku box is worth it... I've already bought 3 of them and do not regret it in the least... (With a few rather minor glitches now and then I am still quite impressed by the offering - even after 4+ months have gone by...)

Bron

Re: New StarZ content helps a lot...

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:32 pm

wonderbird wrote:
I was already happy with the value offered by the Roku / Netflix Player option but am happy to see the new Starz content that recently became available. I am still looking forward to seeing what other content outside of netflix becomes available on the player. (as alluded to several months ago)

To anyone trying to figure out if a Roku box is worth it... I've already bought 3 of them and do not regret it in the least... (With a few rather minor glitches now and then I am still quite impressed by the offering - even after 4+ months have gone by...)

Agreed!

This has got to be one of the best deal's going. I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my subscription and adding more boxes because it's really such a good deal and I like it so much it would be convenient to have in other rooms of the house. Far more convenient and enjoyable than watching on a laptop to me.

It's one of the best entertainment values going. I'm having a blast and already watching a lot more stuff with more variety and fun. Cable was getting to be a real PITA. Far better quality via Netflix/Roku and no flower commercial interrruptions every 10 minutes or so Not to mention the watch when I want, no need to schedule recordings, and so on.

This is the cat's meow!

PirateKatz

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:46 am

I guess this is probably a really dumb question but how does one find the new Starz content? I haven't noticed anything different on the Netflix webpage.

Robert99

Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:14 am

PirateKatz wrote:
I guess this is probably a really dumb question but how does one find the new Starz content? I haven't noticed anything different on the Netflix webpage.

Well the content seems to show up as "New Arrivals" just like any other "Watch Instantly" NetFlix content does when first released. So you don't really need to do anything special to find the Starz offerings. However, if you want to see just the Starz content, you can apparently do that too by picking:

"Watch Instantly" tab => "Genres" dropdown => "Starz Play"

NOTE: I agree with others who have posted that the live Starz channel seems to only be available via the computer at this time (not via the NetFlix Player). However, all the "on demand" Starz offerings do indeed seem to be available via our NetFlix Player boxes. In fact, I was watching a few different Starz offerings last night. For example, anyone else remember the very funny and well done (if B-movie titled) "Earth Girls Are Easy"?

markhood

Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:51 pm

I've only had a chance to try streaming one Starz movie to my Netflix Player so far, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

The 1st odd thing is that I have the player set up so that it always streams at 3 stars of quality, but Across The Universe always overrides this and gives me 2 stars.

The 2nd problem is that the player then sits there buffering forever and never starts playing the movie. This happens no matter what I set up on the debug screen (automatic, 1, 2, 3, or 4 stars, with and without the debug information). The buffering indicator remains a black bar without any red.

All other non-Starz streams I tried continue to work normally but Across The Universe just won't play. I haven't had a chance to try another Starz movie yet (my wife got tired of my experiments :) ). Anybody else have similar issues with Starz?

Bron

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:31 pm

Robert99 - Yes, a classic! ;)

Markhood - I'm just trying "Across the Universe" now and I'm getting 4 dots (what I get with everything) and no apparent problems so far. I've tried several other Starz titles and they have all worked fine.

Sorry, I know this is probably just annoying to hear someone else say 'works great' when you're having problems. But I just wanted to let you know it does seem to work OK -at least for me.

I wonder if Netflix serves up titles from more than one server, regionally? Would be nice to know how they're setup, because I see a lot of problems that I suspect are more server based than Roku based.

What router do you have? Some routers seem to have some issues as well.

Bron

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:00 pm

Speaking of Starz content - they feature the fabulous title "The Professional". Here's the description, but the movie is far better than it sounds. Powerful and gripping, it blew me away the first time I saw it (have watched it many times since). Probably Reno's best film. Highly recommended!

"Leon (Jean Reno) is the top hit man in New York -- also known as a "cleaner." When his next-door neighbors are wiped out by a loose-cannon DEA agent (Gary Oldman), Leon becomes the unwilling custodian of 12-year-old Mathilda (Natalie Portman). Before long, Mathilda's thoughts turn to revenge, and she considers following in Leon's footsteps. Gritty and unflinching, The Professional packs a powerful punch."

Bron

Good news or bad news?

Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:11 pm

markhood wrote:
I've only had a chance to try streaming one Starz movie to my Netflix Player so far, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

The 1st odd thing is that I have the player set up so that it always streams at 3 stars of quality, but Across The Universe always overrides this and gives me 2 stars.

The 2nd problem is that the player then sits there buffering forever and never starts playing the movie. This happens no matter what I set up on the debug screen (automatic, 1, 2, 3, or 4 stars, with and without the debug information). The buffering indicator remains a black bar without any red.

All other non-Starz streams I tried continue to work normally but Across The Universe just won't play. I haven't had a chance to try another Starz movie yet (my wife got tired of my experiments :) ). Anybody else have similar issues with Starz?

Well, it happened to me, too! I let the ATU movie play while doing other things and eventually it rebuffered, showed 2 dots, and hung there. Now all the Straz content I have is playing with 2 dot quality and ATU still won't play. So, definitely a glitch with their Starz content or server.

Bron

Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:13 pm

OK, now it has gone away and everything is playing normally again.

Weird! Must have been a server problem at Netflix end...or possibly a net problem. But since this is all new content and just up, most likely just an implementation glitch. They'll probably get it straight before too long.

Bet all this new content is proving very, very popular!

shelleyp

Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:05 am

Be forewarned that the Starz shows are also now getting expiration dates -- some as early as next week.