Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

pluskey
Topic Author

Standby or power down

Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:06 am

I searched the feature requests, but didn't find this suggestion. If it is there, my search parameters didn't find it.

I would like to see a way to stand by, or power down, the player to save electricity when it is not in use. I know the player doesn't use much power, but every little bit counts.

This could be accessed from the home menu, or as part of the existing screen saver function, entering standby after some selectable amount of time in screen saver.

Power up could be accomplished by pressing the home button from standby.

Thanks for the consideration

elorimer

Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:46 am

Since I never use the Roku box except through my receiver, I have the Roku's power supply plugged into the switched outlet on the receiver.

I'm guessing the amount of power the box requires to watch for an IR signal to wake up is just about the amount of power it actually is using in an always-on mode, so a hardware switch is the next step.

Robert99

Re: Standby or power down

Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:54 pm

pluskey wrote:
I would like to see a way to stand by, or power down, the player to save electricity when it is not in use. I know the player doesn't use much power, but every little bit counts.

This has been discussed in these forums before.

The bottom line is that while it's true that "every little bit helps", it's also true that the player only uses about 5 watts of power even when playing movies! And 5 watts is not only small (for a video device), it's actually smaller than some other video equipment uses just to keep the remote control receiver working. i.e. the NetFlix Player uses less power when fully powered up, than some video equipment uses when "shut off" (and just waiting for remote control commands).

OTOH many people have asked for a "power down" mode that turns off the video feeds when the player is just sitting at the "screen saver" option. But the idea with that isn't to save power (although it might save a watt or two, if it were done), but rather to assist automated video switches to know when you aren't using the NetFlix Player (and therefore automatically switch to one of your other video/audio devices). As it stands now the NetFlix Player doesn't work well with such auto-switches, because the Player always has it's vedio/Audio outputs turned on.

WolfWitch

No real need.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:58 am

The Netflix Player runs off a power brick, so there really isn't any way to turn it "off", without unplugging the brick or plugging it into a power strip/switched outlet.

It would probably make users more comfortable (even though it would be completely useless from a power-saving standpoint) to have a [Power] button that turns the front LED and video output off. As has already been said- it would also be very useful for people who use video switches/systems that toggle based on input signal, which many displays and receivers using HDMI do.

IronHelix

Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:37 pm

I second the need for a power off function.
Using a power brick doesn't mean it won't save power, most modern power bricks are switching power supplies (as opposed to simple linear transformers). Switchers will use less power if less load is placed on them, whereas linears will continuously use the same amount of power regardless of if a load is applied or not.

My main reason though is as stated the video output issue. The TV I have will auto power on if an input is detected, then power off when it goes away. I'd love to be able to power off the Roku, which should involve turning off the LED but more importantly turning off the video outputs. This might save a watt or two, but I'm not too worried about that.

I'd suggest one of the following-
in the 'up menu' (that lets you switch to settings) add 3rd Power Off entry, if selected the only menu option is Power Off Roku? and pressing select puts it in sleep. Then pushing any button wakes it up.
Or you could have holding the HOME button for 5 seconds power it off
Or you could add an option at the end of the now playing list for "Power Off".

srf21c

Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:37 pm

Another vote for a video output poweroff function. My gateway 24" LCD automatically switches over to play the roku screensaver via the component inputs when my computer video output goes into sleep mode.

It would be nice if the roku would switch off the video outputs so my monitor could continue sleeping.

schmidtj

Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:17 am

Since the 1.5 firmware update the LED on the front of my Roku actually turns off after a period of inactivity. It's HDMI attached. I don't know if it actually goes to sleep but the LED behavior is different after 1.5

spewak

Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:29 am

schmidtj wrote:
Since the 1.5 firmware update the LED on the front of my Roku actually turns off after a period of inactivity. It's HDMI attached. I don't know if it actually goes to sleep but the LED behavior is different after 1.5

*DITTO*

elorimer

Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:55 am

LED off but screensaver on.