Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dcxbox
Topic Author

HD netflix streaming coming to xbox 360, Roku.......

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:27 pm

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/10/29/hd ... 360-first/

"It's something you can't get on the Roku. Nor on LG's BD300. Nor on Samsung's P2500 / P2550 Blu-ray players. Nor through Netflix's own "Watch Instantly" portal. It's high-def Netflix streaming, and it's coming first to Microsoft's Xbox 360. Yes friends, when the all new dashboard hits on November 19th, with it will come HD Netflix streaming for Xbox Live Gold members. You should know that this is only a "soft launch" with about 300 titles available for now, and the litany of details you're surely craving simply aren't available at present time. At any rate, we'd say things just got a lot more interesting in the world of digital downloads, but there's really no need. The real question is: when will everyone else follow suit, and how quickly can we expect current Netflix streamers to get the HD upgrade?"

i guess it must be coming to the roku and others maybe end of 08 or early 09

well atleast the good news is HD streaming is coming very soon.

BLU STEAL

Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:25 am

why should xbox get it before roku. I purchased my roku on release date and supported from day one. Xbox just recently started streming netflix and they get to beat us to the punch. Not very happy about this.

DaveMcLain

Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:10 am

Could it be that it was just reported first and that both of them will start streaming HD content at or around the same time?

shelleyp

Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:13 am

DaveMcLain wrote:
Could it be that it was just reported first and that both of them will start streaming HD content at or around the same time?

I would hope so. I would hate to think that early adopters of Netflix boxes would be shafted.

shelleyp

Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:16 am

PS I would really expect someone from Roku to address this one.

This is something we've been promised from Roku, "when Netflix rolls out the HD capability". Roku supposedly has the capability.

I would expect someone from Roku to either confirm access to HD content, or let us know why Netflix has decided to only favor one box over another, and basically shaft their customers.

BLU STEAL

Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:45 am

from what ive read on engadget they say xbox only will roll out hd streaming

bitshifter1001

Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:53 am

Im guessing MS paid Netflix for exclusive access to streamable HD content. I have a 360 in addition to my Roku player so this doesn't affect me as much. Hopefully Netflix HD will come to the Roku player soon.

shelleyp

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:35 am

bitshifter1001 wrote:
Im guessing MS paid Netflix for exclusive access to streamable HD content. I have a 360 in addition to my Roku player so this doesn't affect me as much. Hopefully Netflix HD will come to the Roku player soon.

Frankly, I don't care what the deal is. We were specifically told that when HD content was available at Netflix, we'd have access to it in the Roku.

Lee.K

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:47 am

Is it possible that for now at least, they need to use the XBox's hard disk to buffer HD video? Maybe they'll be measuring how much buffering is necessary for uninterrupted playback and fine tuning their streams. Just a guess.

In any case, wouldn't you rather they get it right with some limited testing instead of everyone posting online how lousy it is if it doesn't work right?

shelleyp

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:52 am

Lee.K wrote:
Is it possible that for now at least, they need to use the XBox's hard disk to buffer HD video? Maybe they'll be measuring how much buffering is necessary for uninterrupted playback and fine tuning their streams. Just a guess.

In any case, wouldn't you rather they get it right with some limited testing instead of everyone posting online how lousy it is if it doesn't work right?

I don't want it to seem like I'm the only person not happy about this here -- maybe I am, though.

Roku had Netflix investment from the very beginning. The company has said, when Netflix streamed HD, it was "ready" to provide access to HD streaming. If the box can't handle the HD stream now, it won't be able to in the future, because the caching buffer isn't going to change. At least not for us Roku gen 1.0 owners.

Roku has promised new content, outside of Netflix. Has not delivered. Roku has promised a public SDK so others could deliver content. Has not delivered. Now, we're faced with the possibility it won't be delivering HD content, either.

I happen to believe that no matter how much I like a device, if the company doesn't deliver on promises, you hold it accountable. Because you're not getting the service you were "promised".

jtk

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:57 am

Currently I'm not happy or mad about this... there is still time for Roku to announce HD before the Xbox gets it.

But if it comes out that HD is Xbox exclusive, my Roku box will be going on Ebay immediately. I bought the Roku now with the idea that the service was going to grow (HD streaming, more content)... I like the idea and I wanted to support it.

But no HD= no deal for me. (sorry, removed the xbox blu-ray rumor)

Let's hope that the gadget sites have it wrong and HD will actually be coming to all the streaming devices.

spocko

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:07 am

The EngadgetHD article doesn't provide any reference or source for their info, so I think it should be treated as a rumor until there is some kind of official announcement.

DoomsDay

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:08 am

shelleyp wrote:
Lee.K wrote:

I don't want it to seem like I'm the only person not happy about this here -- maybe I am, though.

Roku had Netflix investment from the very beginning. The company has said, when Netflix streamed HD, it was "ready" to provide access to HD streaming. If the box can't handle the HD stream now, it won't be able to in the future, because the caching buffer isn't going to change. At least not for us Roku gen 1.0 owners.

Roku has promised new content, outside of Netflix. Has not delivered. Roku has promised a public SDK so others could deliver content. Has not delivered. Now, we're faced with the possibility it won't be delivering HD content, either.

I happen to believe that no matter how much I like a device, if the company doesn't deliver on promises, you hold it accountable. Because you're not getting the service you were "promised".

Well, the way I see it, we were promised all those things above but not in any specific time line. Just because the roku box came out first does not mean its going to be first in getting HD. It would be nice, but it was never promised to be first. I am sure we will get all the above in due time, your just going to have to be patient.

Klaus

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:42 am

Looks like we Roku viewers are getting screwed :x
Maybe that's part of the reason why speeds went down--reallocating servers for XBOX -HD

Klaus

shelleyp

Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:18 am

From http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_busi ... r-now.html:
In addition, while some have speculated that the current Roku box can't do HD streaming, and is the reason why Netflix does not offer HD video quality, this is not the case. Roku confirmed for me this morning that the current version of their Roku box is currently capable of streaming HD quality video. The lack of an HD offering by Netflix via the Roku box is not due to any technical limitation of the Roku hardware. While Netflix won't say what their time line is for adding HD quality video via Roku and their watch now service, they did comment to say that their HD rollout would be modest to start. To me, that makes sense. Netlfix is kicking off streaming to the XBOX 360 next month, has just added Mac support for the watch now service, thanks to Silverlight, and is adding more content from the likes of Starz and CBS to their library. Netflix will bring the HD content, but all in due time.

So, it is true, it has been confirmed, and Netflix has decided to roll out the HD content to the XBox holders, rather than we, the early adopters. The people who took a chance on all of this, and have been early supporters of the concept.

This is what Netflix thinks of all of us.

I won't recommend Netflix, I won't recommend a Roku box. I had been at my sites, as a great Christmas present, but if Netflix thinks that the Roku users are second class citizens, forget it.