Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Pickle
Topic Author

I've tried all the Network Tricks - Stream fails and reboots

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:18 pm

Hi,

I'm a software engineer and I've tried just about everything on two different brand routers. I get the list of movies fine, but try to play one and wham! In summary, I've tried:

- Opening up ports 53-8443 for the device (heck, I was desperate!) both for UDP and TCP (really, I didn't care at that point how much sense this made)
- Deactivating and factory reseting the device
- No QoS restrictions
- No double NAT
- Good solid FIOS high speed connection 5/2
- Good connectivity (I've used VPNs and much else with no problem)
- DNS is fine (I can tracert movie-whatever-it-is.netflix.com (I forget the name name, but it was fine)
- Four green lights and my instant queue shows up with pictures, but try to download a movie and it reboots (obnoxious). No debug codes or messages, just failure and reboot!
- Tried deactivating and reseting the device and then reactivating.
- Tried with a wired connection
Need I go on?

Please help! I am ready to scream to the world that the Roku is being totally hyped, but I don't want to believe that. This is ridiculous, however.

Thanks in advance for anybody's help!
Paul

eri3k

Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:10 am

Sorry to hear that you are having a tough time with your player, Paul. Although it's no consolation to you, my experience - and probably that of most users - is that the Netflix Player is as close to plug-and-play as it gets. If you are having this much difficulty you might want to contact customer support, get an RMA for this unit, and have them ship you a replacement.

Before you go down that path, there are still a few things to explore. Have you tried updating the firmware (under Settings > player info)? How many different titles have you tried to play? When you try to play a title, do you get the black "retrieving [title]" screen with buffer status and picture quality indicators at the bottom? If you do see the retrieval screen, does the buffer begin to fill? At any point do you get an error message? What results do you see when you enable playback debugging?

Pickle
Topic Author

Thanks, Here's Further Information

Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:54 am

Hi RoadRanger and eri3k,

I first tried my Linksys WRT54GS V4 and then my Dlink DI-624 Rev C. The DLink I switched to the D-Link because I wanted to try another router. The firmware is at 2.43DDM (2005). The latest on the DLink site is 276 (2006), but I can't upgrade to it. It is rejected. I must have a slightly different version, which makes sense since the label says rev C3, but the website only talks about C. Still, I think these facts might be a distraction, since this thing supposedly is using straightforward stuff and it failed on both routers.

Also, I went to the Dlink because has Static DHCP, which I used to make sure I could open the Roku's ports without affecting a couple other PCs that are on the network.

I tried several different movies over several hours today (both routers) and some with the Linksys last night.

I always get my queue of movies displayed with pictures. When I hit play I get "retrieving [the title]" but after about a minute or so the unit reboots. If the indicator visually shows you the buffer filling, then I never see that. It remains empty until reboot.

I did try to update the software. It was already at the latest version (1.01 build 229) at least it claimed there were no updates.

I'll try the debugging command, but I wanted to get back to you since I'm sick as a dog and can't sleep anyway (sure would be nice to have some Roku movies to look at! :-) ).

I'll try "instant watch" on a PC and get back to you. In the interim, I'm sure open to suggestions!

Thanks again,
Paul

Pickle
Topic Author

Results of Instant Watch on PC and Debug

Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:09 am

Hi RoadRanger and eri3k again (and anybody else who cares to help, of course),

I tried the instant watch on my desktop through the DLink router and it worked fine. On the Roku, the buffer indicator definitely remains empty. I don't think I saw any messages even though I set the debug on, but I may have turned away for a sec. However, given that it worked on my PC, I think that removes the router or network as a consideration, doesn't it? Does the ActiveX control installed in IE use the same protocols and ports?

I was really excited about this purchase. This is so frustrating, but I appreciate your trying to help me. Any other ideas?

Thanks again,
Paul

Pickle
Topic Author

Double Checked. No messages on Roku...

Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:11 am

...even with debug turned on.

eri3k

Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:13 am

This is just a guess, but it sounds like a Roku firmware/hardware problem rather than anything to do with your network configuration since you were able to activate your player and retrieve your queue. A few possibilities come to mind (this is pure speculation unconstrained by knowledge or understanding): malformed retrieval requests, a problem with buffer memory allocation, a faulty codec, bad juju. . . Because your factory reset firmware is the current version, there is no way to update and no way to roll back and reinstall.

If you meet the requirements for the beta, I suggest you give it a shot. The instructions to apply are here. Enrolling in the beta would give you a chance to upgrade your firmware and see if that is source of the problem. At the very least, James may have some advice for you. Good luck.

Erik

Pickle
Topic Author

Thanks

Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:23 am

I don't have an HDTV so the Roku really was a big deal to me. However, maybe they would let me try the update anyway. I have a pretty good 27" Toshiba that supports a pretty good component video image.

I'll let you know.

I also asked for an RMA just to keep things moving.

Thanks,
Paul

DoomsDay

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:48 am

Just to try, have you tried bypassing your router and plugging directly into the modem and see if that works?

Pickle
Topic Author

I did, but I may not have reset the DHCP server properly

Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi,

I think I"m giving up on this box. I hope that they send me an RMA.

Even if it worked without my routers, it doesn't really solve my problem and if you amortize the cost of all my personal time on top of the $99 for the box, this thing is costing me a fortune! :-)

Thanks,
Paul

DoomsDay

Re: I did, but I may not have reset the DHCP server properly

Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:38 pm

Pickle wrote:
Hi,

I think I"m giving up on this box. I hope that they send me an RMA.

Even if it worked without my routers, it doesn't really solve my problem and if you amortize the cost of all my personal time on top of the $99 for the box, this thing is costing me a fortune! :-)

Thanks,
Paul

Well thats kind of the point aint it. If you do try it and it does work without your routers, then you know its got to be something between your router and your modem config. I don't blame you for wanting an RMA but as an engineer, you know its a valid troubleshooting step and should be tried. If I am not mistaken, There are several posts around dealing with fios and I remember one talking about a "secret" screen on the fios modem that something had to be changed to make theirs work. Dont know if you have tried that but its worth a shot.

Pickle
Topic Author

Yes, but...

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:47 pm

Yes, but I am not using the FIOS router. I tried two different routers and if there is a problem with FIOS then why does instant watch work in a browser for me. That leads me to think that FIOS isn't the problem. Don't you agree?

I'm an engineer, too, BTW but right now as a customer who has done much more than most customers are ever asked to do, it is time I think for Roku to pony up some courtesy and let me try a new box before I hit my head up against the wall some more.

Thanks,
Paul

givathugahug

Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:40 am

Just so you know I have a FiOS 20/20 connection and I have no problems with my Roku, but then I have it connected to a different router on a subnet on my network rather than straight to the Actiontec itself. Either way though this shows there are no problem with the type of connection.

Pickle
Topic Author

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi all,

I got my RMA. At first, the experience promised to be disappointing. First was lose of time. You have to call support, I gather, as email support just gives you the toll free number and tells you to call that number (after you lose 2 days waiting for the reply to the email).

When I called I got an Indian call center. At first, it seemed that I would have to go through that painful Indian Call Center type of script. You know, the ones where you have to verify that you plugged in the device, etc. before they will give you an RMA. But, fortunately, I used this forum to document that I was ready and very deserving of an RMA. Even more fortunately, they were willing to go "off script" and skip the nonsense.

The moral of the story is that if you are technical, it helps to document everything that you've done in the forum and put that in your RMA request if you don't want to go through that tedious, soul-destroying type of process that such call centers inflict on customers.

I must say my support person was easy to understand (good accent mediation lessons clearly although she had to talk very slowly in order to achieve the clarity).

I'll report on how the second box works out when I get it. Another nice thing is that they were willing to trust me by sending out a replacement without waiting for the first box. So, overall, I must say that the basic support levels have been pretty good. This forum has been fantastic. BTW, eri3k, I have a friend who lives in Walnut Creek. You don't happen to know any Berkeley professors, do you?

- Paul

Uulamets

Re: I've tried all the Network Tricks - Stream fails and reb

Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:09 pm

Pickle wrote:

- Four green lights and my instant queue shows up with pictures, but try to download a movie and it reboots (obnoxious). No debug codes or messages, just failure and reboot!

Just a bit of solidarity since you have already put in for an RMA. I got a roku shortly after they first came out, and the first box that I got had pretty much the same trouble your box showed. I could register and see my queue, but it would reboot when it tried to download a movie. I went through much of the same debugging on my own that you tried, and didn't find any trouble on my end.

The good news is that the next box that I got through RMA worked perfectly.

My experience with Roku phone support was a little different though. The person I talked to was either in the US or had an excellent mastery of the accent. He was also pretty knowledgeable, and after I explained everything that I had tried, it was pretty easy to get an RMA. I only wish that I had tried the RMA route sooner.

Pickle
Topic Author

Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:40 pm

You were lucky. My person was definitely from India and although the usual accent problems had been largely mediated, she was very scripted until I validated my own expertise. I'm glad that they were flexible regarding technically proficient customers, but I pity the customer who places themselves completely in the hands of "the process," if you know what I mean.

Another plus seems to be that they are shipping 2-day, which is nice.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience. I hoe mine is similar. What version and build do you have, by the way?

Regards,
Paul