Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

carol1124
Topic Author

Netflix survey

Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:51 am

Hi,

I received an interesting e-mail from Netflix yesterday. They wanted to know about the quality of my viewing of a movie that I had watched on my Roku box the previous night. I'm used to receiving e-mails from them about when I had received a disc in the mail but this was a first. It appears that they are trying to solve the streaming video quality issue. There were three choices for response to the survey. I chose the reponse that I had poor quality since I'm still receiving 2 dots rather than the four that I had been used to. I don't have the update yet so don't know if that will affect anything.

tamooreindy

Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:14 am

I found out my cable ISP was the cause of the streaming problem. I installed DSL and everything works fine now. I can go back and forth. Through Comcast 1 dot, then I switch to ATT DSL and get 4 dots. Today I called and canceled my Comcast service.

pillot

Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:44 am

I've received the same survey, I have not gotten the software upgrade yet.

nathug

Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:12 am

pillot wrote:
I've received the same survey, I have not gotten the software upgrade yet.

Try forcing the upgrade. One of the Roku guys has said if you try and force it 3 times, the server will grant you the upgrade on the 3rd try.

See if it works.

Nate

pillot

Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:17 am

Will try tonight. Thanks :D

carol1124
Topic Author

Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:58 am

Hi,

I received my update last week and now have great video quality again!!
Mostly 4 dots with the ocassional 3 dots. I've watched about 10 movies since last week with no problems. (Holidays, you know!). Sometimes during heavy viewing hours, the box has to restart but I'm blaming that on Time Warner cable or Net flix - not the box.

thehomelessguy

Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:02 am

carol1124

I think you are correct to blame TWC. In fact, seeing as TWC has already admitted to blatant "packet shaping" (even in non-abusive users) it wouldn't surprise me if they are intentionally screwing with online video as well. Which is why everyone who is loving their Roku boxes should donate a buck or two to a "net neutrality" organization of their choice. The cable companies/internet providers would like nothing more than to see online video fail. After all, it cuts into their bottom-line, I personally canceled my cable this year and rely on netflix and roku for my TV viewing needs. Despite what you may see on the news, net neutrality really is about the future of online video (everything else is a distraction).

Incidentally I own 2 roku boxes that I have viewed over 100+ hours of content on. One of my boxes gets a poor wireless signal (its in the basement, so I've had to lock it at "2 dots") but the other box has never connected with less than 4 dots and both have never locked up or re-buffered no matter what time of the day (then again I do have the FIOS 15/5 plan). The only issue I have had was when I got my first box (in October) it took an inordinate amount of time to successfully access my netflix instant cue. However, since then, they have been fine.

I am giving one of these boxes to my family tomorrow as a belated Christmas gift (and replacing it with a new one). That way I know for sure they are getting a functioning unit. They have TWC so it'll provide a bit of a "test" to see if it is really is the cable companies who are dropping the ball (intentionally or not).

carol1124
Topic Author

Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:29 am

Thanks. If you cancelled your cable, how are you getting your high speed internet?

Scottheb

Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:09 am

Thats great for you to be able to replace your cable modem with DSL but some us don't have that luxury. I don't have cable (yes I only have rabbit ears) but use a cable modem and I don't have a home phone either (only a cell).

spumoni

Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:52 am

carol1124 wrote:
Thanks. If you cancelled your cable, how are you getting your high speed internet?

I think he meant that he cancelled his cable TV subscription... but retained cable INTERNET access. At least that was how I read it.

wideasleep1

Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:43 pm

spumoni wrote:
carol1124 wrote:

I think he meant that he cancelled his cable TV subscription... but retained cable INTERNET access. At least that was how I read it.

He mentioned he had FIOS in another thread. ;)
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!