Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

khillski47
Topic Author

Netflix PLayer Christmas out of the box failure.

Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:26 am

Excitedly removed the player from the box. Hooked up the wires to the TV, plugged in the power supply and NADA. Player has fast blinking status light. TV says no signal. Check wires to make sure OK. They look good, do the 30 Second reset thing and NADA. Try the power on and off thing and NADA. Unplug the wires from the Netflix player and plug them into the DVD player. TV finds the DVD player immediately. Check the instruction manuals to see if it gives a clue what the fast blinker means and NADA. Check support site looking for troubleshooting clues as to what the fast blinker means and NADA. Bad product, bad manual and bad support site. What a bummer!!!!!!!!!! Entire family was looking forward to watching a good movie. Had the same problem with another product last Christmas. It took weeks to get it fixed. Hope that is not the case here. Don't understand why a company would ship a defective product and aggravate potential customers. I guess QC programs are also a thing of the past
Ken

The Old Man

Re: Netflix PLayer Christmas out of the box failure.

Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:14 pm

khillski47 wrote:
"...Don't understand why a company would ship a defective product and aggravate potential customers. I guess QC programs are also a thing of the past

To ruin your day. Was it successful?

Have you tried the free phone support? It's toll free to India.

dominjon

Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:00 pm

Are you using the included composite cables? If so, can you borrow or obtain some component cables and try those. My composite video doesn't work, and I have a sneaky feeling there was a bad batch.

John in Tennessee

You didn't mention but..........

Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:13 pm

or if you did I missed it. Did you hook it to the router or network?

khillski47
Topic Author

Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:31 pm

OK. Forgot to say plugged unit into router via network cable. No action so unplugged cable from netflix box and plugged it into laptop. Instant connnection to Internet. Got ahold of Roku support after not too bad 25 minute wait. Physically went through all the steps again with support person with same result, NADA. Roku is shipping us a replacement unit. It has not yet arrived. I hope the new one works.
BTW, companies have been known to ship bad product to make revenue targets and then let the warantee department sort it out. They still get to record the sale. I hope that is not the case with ROKU but I always seem to experience out of the box failures only at year end over the Christmas holidays. It has made me gunshy of internet orderering electronics at yearend. I usually now wait until Feb before ordering. The ROKU box was a gift from my son who was very disappointed we could not use it during his visit.