Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

philly_phenom

Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:53 pm

You are correct - I misread & assumed the post was about supporting 1080i content - not upscaling 720p to 1080i.

For upscaling, the PS3 does the best job I've seen, but that has a monster CPU & GPU that produces enough warmth to heat your house when upscaling DVD's

I can't imagine getting that sort of processing power for $100...

chasarms

Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:23 am

I called it a "downconversion" only because the process requires converting 720 lines to 540. Like, brunson, I appreciated the phenom's informative post.

For all of those out there that have a 1080i set, why don't you go the route of an A/V receiver? It's not cheap, but it's also a GREAT upgrade for your viewing experience. Surround sound is the bomb.

I have my all of my video devices switching through the receiver via HDMI and have HDMI out to the display. But you could do the same thing with component.

The new A/V receivers are really nice and offer a lot of functionality.

rich584

Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:14 am

philly_phenom wrote:
Obviously, 1080p is the best we have now, but outside of Bluray, there's really no current method to transmit 1080p at a bitrate that would allow clear pictures & crisp motion.

DirecTv has a Video on Demand feature that allows you to choose 1080p movies. Hard to tell the difference between their VOD and BD disks.

Rich

robertm

Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:11 pm

sscherr wrote:
Are any of the new channels that are going to be offered by Netflix 1080i? Any chance that there could be a 1080i upgrade in light of the new channels?

There are still many of us who will not buy Roku unless it can convert to 1080i since we have older HDTV's.

Scott

I was in this same boat but Roku offers so much for so little I just chose to live with it until recently. I own 3 roku boxes and even when I was stuck on sd on some of my TVs it was still a great.

halane34

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:58 pm

Si no se nos ha dicho si sería conversión ascendente. Sin embargo, doesnt incluso tiene que hacer eso. Puedo ver películas en mi DVR que son 720p y que muestran en su formato nativo. es decir, la pantalla está en 1080i pero el espectáculo 720p está jugando con una caja de todos a su alrededor. De no ser convertidas en absoluto. Aunque no sería la mejor solución, al menos poder ver el 720p arroyos.

BoloMKXXVIII

Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:08 am

What I would really like to see (maybe with external storage on the XR) is the ability to download HD programs to local storage. Even if it took 3 hours to download an hour long show, it could do it while I am asleep or at work. I pay for the bandwidth, I might as well use as much of it as I can. I do this now with HD content on Miro. Once you get used to "time shifting" it is no big deal.

liv2cod

Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:01 pm

chasarms wrote:
For all of those out there that have a 1080i set, why don't you go the route of an A/V receiver? It's not cheap, but it's also a GREAT upgrade for your viewing experience. Surround sound is the bomb.

I have my all of my video devices switching through the receiver via HDMI and have HDMI out to the display. But you could do the same thing with component.

Yes, they are really great. However, A/V receivers don't convert 720p to 1080i. I looked into a $2000 Onkyo receiver, for example, that features upconversion -- only when you read the manual they only convert from 480i/p to 720p or 1080i. I'm glad I saved my money.

But there is an alternative. Dump the Roku box and get a Blu-ray player with Netflix streaming. They manage to upconvert the 720p signal to 1080i, but you'll need HDMI because they don't offer upconversion on component video outputs.

Confused yet? Me too.

liv2cod

Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Atom wrote:
If you are like me and have a non-HDCP compliant HD TV and have been wondering when you will be able to watch HD movies from any source the short answer is... forget about it. And, even if you are able to find an HDCP stripping box, there is a good chance that it will eventually stop working. Here is an explanation.http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/hdcp-strippers.html

That guide is old. There IS a solution -- not cheap, but a solution. Google the "HD Fury" device -- it is a converter that contains a licensed, legal HDMI and HDCP chip and converts it to component or RGB signals for a legacy TV. Costs $100-200 depending on options and version.

(But it still does not help my problem because my TV won't take anything but 1080i on component.)

bc3tech

Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:36 pm

liv2cod wrote:
chasarms wrote:

Yes, they are really great. However, A/V receivers don't convert 720p to 1080i. I looked into a $2000 Onkyo receiver, for example, that features upconversion -- only when you read the manual they only convert from 480i/p to 720p or 1080i. I'm glad I saved my money.

But there is an alternative. Dump the Roku box and get a Blu-ray player with Netflix streaming. They manage to upconvert the 720p signal to 1080i, but you'll need HDMI because they don't offer upconversion on component video outputs.

Confused yet? Me too.
hm. i just bought an onkyo 7.2 receiver and am converting my roku's component output up to 1080i just fine. the key here is component output. HDMI input would pass its resolution through w/o upscaling, but inputs from composite or component sources are eligible and upscale to 1080i w/o issue.

unclebob

Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:56 pm

brunson wrote:
Whether it's an up conversion or a down conversion, it doesn't matter because the tiny little microprocessor in their $99 set top box HAS NOWHERE NEAR THE COMPUTING POWER TO DO IT. Not on a live stream, not in real time.

If you want 1080i, talk to the content providers about supplying it. When it's offered at the source *then* Roku can make it play.

Well said; in fact, far better than I said it in this thread back in February, because at that time I had no awareness that folks here were laboring under the mistaken notion that an "upconversion" of the 720p data could be accomplished in the admittedly marvelous but nevertheless underpowerwd Roku stb.

So, can it be agreed here that....

1. Roku cannot implement a 1080 fix until a provider offers a 1080 stream.

2. No Roku rep is likely to participate in this thread, since the only thing they could do is point to their content-providing partners, who would not consider this a favor.

BrentN

BcTec Onkyo Help

Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:15 am

I have an onkyo reciver and an Mitz legacy tv and could not make it work.
How are you making it work BCtec, my onkyo only down converts.

pokerman11

Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:09 pm

I don't know if this is an option for everybody that has 1080i vs 720 issues on their Roku, , but the way I solved it on one of my TVs is to use my xbox 360 and not my roku box.

Yes you then need xbox live but the xbox outputs in 720, 1080i or 1080p - the limiting factor will be the downloaded signal. Xbox live has netflix, and most of the same of not more channals than on roku. The downside is that xbox live is $49/year

Darknyt

Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:34 pm

I finally solved this problem.

I got a WDTV Live and just use playon to stream Netflix now.

Because Roku wouldn't get off their lazy ass and fix this, they now lost a customer permanently.

Stop pretending that Roku couldn't fix this if they wanted to. My WDTV Live has zero issues moving 720p or 1080p to my 1080i component.

Maybe it requires new hardware on their part, so what - how long has it been out now? I know the cost is not prohibitive unit-wise as I paid $99 for my WDTV Live.

EDIT - OMFG!! I have ignored Roku for so long, I didn't even realize they had new boxes out IN WHICH THEY HAVE CONTINUED TO IGNORE THIS COMPLETELY SIMPLE PROBLEM.

They have had plenty of chances now to fix this and proven that they have zero interest or competence - again - THIS CAN BE IMPLEMENTED IN A $100 BOX JUST FINE IF THEY WANT TO.

They don't want and they don't care. F'em. I'm never looking back.

Darknyt

Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:43 pm

brunson wrote:

snip

However it sidesteps the salient point of chasarms' post, which reiterated what I posted earlier in the thread and what I wish the latecomers to this conversation would understand: Whether it's an up conversion or a down conversion, it doesn't matter because the tiny little microprocessor in their $99 set top box HAS NOWHERE NEAR THE COMPUTING POWER TO DO IT. Not on a live stream, not in real time.

snip

If you want 1080i, talk to the content providers about supplying it. When it's offered at the source *then* Roku can make it play.

WRONG

Other boxes do it this just fine (AND for less $$$). It's up to Roku to include a "tiny little microprocessor" that will do it. They have chosen not to. Other manufacturers have decided they will support 720/1080p content playing in 1080i because I am seeing it on my $99 box.

Perfectly doable - just not by these guys apparently.

KennyJ

Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:46 pm

Darknyt wrote:
I finally solved this problem.

I got a WDTV Live and just use playon to stream Netflix now.

Hope you're happy with the crappy computer streams. They're also not going to be in HD.