Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jeffws
Topic Author

Occasionally, remote does not work

Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:48 pm

Rarely, my player doesn't respond to the remote, even when I go right up to the player with it. The player is new, batteries are good, and I remove and replace the batteries. Eventually it will start working again.
Jeff

zwei

Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:41 pm

I have run into this three times over the past week when trying to wake up the box. Two of those times I got really close to the box with the remote and it worked. The other time I had to pull the plug and re-power the box.

I've never had the box not respond to the remote once it was awake ...so maybe it's some sleep bug? I don't remember it happening before the 1.5 update ...but then again I only had the box 3-4 days before I got the new firmware.

wideasleep1

Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:09 pm

Typically, this issue can be traced to infrared interference of some sort. One troubleshooying method is to remove every remote control from the room, into another part of the house, and see if the issue persists.
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

zwei

Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:08 pm

Mine is not wanting to wake up almost every time I try now. I have to put the remote ~2 inches in front of the device and click it to get it to work. After that it works just fine. I can't see how it's interference if it works fine after it wakes up.

opiate

Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:08 pm

If you do a search on this forum you will find posts with similar problems. I had the same issues and my interference was being caused on BOTH my LCD TV's. If I had the OPC setting on (LCD Sharp) the remote would only work 2" from box. Turn OPC off, remote gets incredible distance. My other TV (LCD, westinghouse) does not have the OPC function. This tv the BACK LIGHT settings were causing the interference. Not the Brightness but the back light. Adjust your settings and more than likely you will find similar findings.

elorimer

Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:55 am

zwei wrote:
Mine is not wanting to wake up almost every time I try now. I have to put the remote ~2 inches in front of the device and click it to get it to work. After that it works just fine. I can't see how it's interference if it works fine after it wakes up.

In addition to backlighting (I understand inverter-type ballasts for the fluorescent tubes in LCDs control brightness by pulsing the tubes at a frequency that can confuse remote receivers), it is suggested that interference can come from LCDs as they warm up. It may be that you are turning on the Roku box and the TV at the same time?

zwei

Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:36 am

I'll try turning on the Roku first from now on. If I run into trouble again I'll turn the TV off and see if I can turn it on. If so, I know that's the problem. Thanks!