Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

opiate
Topic Author

Firmware Rollback

Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:00 am

Is there anyway to revert back to a previous Firmware Version?
Originally when I bought the Roku I have enjoyed several hours of un-interupted/great picture quality movies. Since the latest firmware upgrade to "HD" I have not been able to load 50% of the movies I try and watch. The movies I am able to watch are constantly being re-buffered. ALWAYS 4 dots/HD quality. I have 2 boxes. 1 wired 1 wireless. The BOTH worked without a hitch pre frimware update. I was part of the beta testing and I did not experience any of this (I voted NOT to release the beat version, ITS NOT READY). I have a few people that have been interested in the ROKU/NetFLix and I have cheered ROKU for coming out with such an excellent product. I am at the point of advising my friends to Wait until the bugs are worked out.
However...if there is a way to revert to the previous firmware PLEASE let me know so I can begin watching movies reliably again... :(

booyah5

Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:25 am

Not that I'm aware, but have you gone to the debug menu screen (homex5, rewx3, ffwx2) and set it to load lower speed/quality streams?

Last night my boyfriend and I watched "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and it kept reloading - jumping from 3 dots to 2 to 3 dots with no audio until I forced it at 2 dots. It was a bit grainy, but since he doesn't have a fat pipe, we had little choice. It worked.

opiate
Topic Author

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:41 pm

booyah:

Yes I have tried that...it doesn't matter what setting I force the stream. It either locks up at "retrieving" and boots me back to the movie selection screen after 5 min of that, or it continuously re buffers. When i set at the lowest setting it will default to higher than what i set, but to no avail, re buffer. As I said b4, I NEVER had an issue with the ROKU prior to the latest firmware update. This could make quite a few new "hopefulls" get extremely discouraged with the service. I wish they could have seen it when I did. Pre- firmware update my wife and I watched HEROS season 1-3 in 480p and were amazed at the picture quality! I have not seen a movie that matched the quality of those episodes...even in "HD".

I hope ROKU realizes an issue is in it's midst and takes care of it before their name gets rubbed thru the mud by commercial reviewers.

Open minded ROKU fan...
Opi

wideasleep1

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:45 pm

This is exactly what I feared, and agreed with you that it was too early to flip the HD switch. We lost that election! :lol:
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

nathug

Re: Firmware Rollback

Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:28 pm

opiate wrote:
Is there anyway to revert back to a previous Firmware Version?
Originally when I bought the Roku I have enjoyed several hours of un-interupted/great picture quality movies. Since the latest firmware upgrade to "HD" I have not been able to load 50% of the movies I try and watch. The movies I am able to watch are constantly being re-buffered. ALWAYS 4 dots/HD quality. I have 2 boxes. 1 wired 1 wireless. The BOTH worked without a hitch pre frimware update. I was part of the beta testing and I did not experience any of this (I voted NOT to release the beat version, ITS NOT READY). I have a few people that have been interested in the ROKU/NetFLix and I have cheered ROKU for coming out with such an excellent product. I am at the point of advising my friends to Wait until the bugs are worked out.
However...if there is a way to revert to the previous firmware PLEASE let me know so I can begin watching movies reliably again... :(

You understand that there is no point to release a rollback, as Netflix will be the ones turning off the old streams not Roku.

Right now Netflix is causing all the headaches not Roku. Take it from me, as I was a Beta tester for this latest release.

When will you all get that!! Its been said many times already!!

Nate

RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:13 pm

If you're seeing frequent rebuffers, it would be interesting to select "play main profile streams" on the bit rate override screen, and see if you continue to have the problem.

--Mark

TaylorH

Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:19 am

Unfortunately the 1.01 software is not really backward compatible with the settings. It's possible to put someone back, but it would require a factory reset after that. It's not pretty.

I think the better approach is to use the MP selection as suggest and we try to actually fix the cause of the problem and release it.

I've noted a few complaints of re buffering, so we'll be looking in to why and how to prevent it.
Former Roku employee

Mark12547

Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:28 pm

RokuTaylor wrote:
I've noted a few complaints of re buffering, so we'll be looking in to why and how to prevent it.

Has the size of the buffer shrunk? On the old streams, it would take way longer after starting a program for the 2.2Mbps stream to finish filling the buffer (as judged by the flashing lights on my router) than it takes for the 1.5Mbps stream.