Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

portlandsurfcaster
Topic Author

Now I'm happy with Roku Netflix player.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:15 pm

Finally!!!!! I figured out how to be happy with Roku Netflix

After all the problems I have had with this player I figured out how to make it better..... I gave my Roku player to my sister in-law. No more watching a movie and have it stop to re-buffer 10 times...No more "loading please wait"...... No more lock up's of device.... No more auto boots of device while starting movies...... I will miss it (not).

I am going back to playing movies through home theater pc. I never had any problems watching this way.

wideasleep1

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:43 pm

Sometimes new tech won't meet your needs...it happens to all of us. :) Good luck!
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

opiate

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:46 pm

I guess I am not the only one....

See my post "FIRMWARE ROLLBACK"

This is exactly what is going to happen to a product that has such possibilities. People give up and will never come back nor will they endorse the product. C'mon Roku...there is an issue and this firmware should NOT have been released to the public...I understand you set a time line "promising" HD content, but if it isn't reliable, fix it and release when it's ready.

Happy new years all!!

Opi

gruenbe

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:54 pm

rofl

nathug

Re: Now I'm happy with Roku Netflix player.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:31 pm

portlandsurfcaster wrote:
Finally!!!!! I figured out how to be happy with Roku Netflix

After all the problems I have had with this player I figured out how to make it better..... I gave my Roku player to my sister in-law. No more watching a movie and have it stop to re-buffer 10 times...No more "loading please wait"...... No more lock up's of device.... No more auto boots of device while starting movies...... I will miss it (not).

I am going back to playing movies through home theater pc. I never had any problems watching this way.

Did you actually get the new upgrade?

Did you wait until Netflix sorted their issues out?

Do you have a internet connection thats up to the task of HD?

Are you impatient?

With out telling people what you did to rectify any issues you had, I would recommend that the forum disregard and delete this thread!!

Nate

portlandsurfcaster
Topic Author

Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:11 pm

1. (Did you actually get the new upgrade?)

Yes I got the upgrade.

2. (Did you wait until Netflix sorted their issues out? )

Not really.... but bought a product that is advertised to work for watching Netflix movies.... plug and play!

3. (Do you have a internet connection thats up to the task of HD?)

Yes I have TWC 8mps... always test above 4mps and usually 7mps. Get problems watching everything.... not just HD

4. (Are you impatient? )

very likely!

5. (With out telling people what you did to rectify any issues you had, I would recommend that the forum disregard and delete this thread!!

I have tries all the "tricks" mentioned on this forum (secret settings, wired instead of wireless, open ports, turn off firewall, etc.......) If you feel that this thread needs to be closed then go for it. Sorry I just call it as I see it........ sometimes good, sometimes bad, just honest!!

kumasuki

Re: Now I'm happy with Roku Netflix player.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:47 pm

portlandsurfcaster wrote:
..... I gave my Roku player to my sister in-law. .

Out of curiosity - has the box performed any differently for your sister-in-law?? Maybe the unit should have been RMA'ed.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box

QuantumIguana

Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:10 pm

The Roku box works great, it's the best $100 I ever spent.

-LD

Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:13 pm

This is the oddest "solution". Unless you hate your sister-in-law, then I suppose it makes sense.

wideasleep1

Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:03 am

-LD wrote:
This is the oddest "solution". Unless you hate your sister-in-law, then I suppose it makes sense.

I suspect the SIL doesn't live in Portland or Hillsboro, where we seem to have (or 'had') a sizeable collection of folks with cable bandwidth issues.

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

-LD

Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:31 pm

The Northwest has had all kinds of issues in the past week or two because of weather and other bad timing.

Comcast had some internal problems combined with a lot of weather and power outage issues.

I live in Spokane an it's affected us here as well.

PirateKatz

Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:14 pm

Did you really give your sister in law a device that may be broken and should be swapped out (RMA) for a new one?

QuantumIguana

Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:28 pm

Did the Roku box work for your sister-in-law? If it works for her, it's not the Roku box.

thehomelessguy

TWC "packet shaping"

Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:36 am

Reading the Roku forums it appears that most of the people reporting their boxes being awful have Time Warner Cable. Google "TWC traffic shaping" to get an idea of why you might be experiencing problems. Over the past year there have been reports of everyone from WoW players to users attempting to access online video being thwarted by Time Warner's questionable efforts. Incidentally, bandwidth test will still show TWC providing a 8 mbit connection. It is only when you try to sustain a large amount of bandwidth usage that you get smacked down. I am installing a Roku box later this week as a belated gift to my sister (who has TWC RR) that I have already setup and can verify as working just fine. So I'll be able to see for if this happens for myself.

The only other thing I'd recommend trying is setting the box to a lower quality setting (search the forums to see how to access the hidden menu). I currently own two Roku boxes. One of these is in my workout room in my basement. Despite showing 30-40% wireless signal strength there is a high degree of packet loss with my wireless router. So while the Roku will initially detect a fast connection, it eventually finds itself having to buffer excessively. Setting this box to a perfectly acceptable "2 dots" solved this problem.

I should point out that my other Roku box (the one upstairs by the router) works perfectly. I use the thing a ton (I don't even have cable anymore). I have easily watched over 100 hours on that box without it buffering once (then again I do have Verizon's FIOS which has been excellent so far).

wideasleep1

Re: TWC "packet shaping"

Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:37 pm

thehomelessguy wrote:
Reading the Roku forums it appears that most of the people reporting their boxes being awful have Time Warner Cable. Google "TWC traffic shaping" to get an idea of why you might be experiencing problems. Over the past year there have been reports of everyone from WoW players to users attempting to access online video being thwarted by Time Warner's questionable efforts. Incidentally, bandwidth test will still show TWC providing a 8 mbit connection. It is only when you try to sustain a large amount of bandwidth usage that you get smacked down. I am installing a Roku box later this week as a belated gift to my sister (who has TWC RR) that I have already setup and can verify as working just fine. So I'll be able to see for if this happens for myself.

The only other thing I'd recommend trying is setting the box to a lower quality setting (search the forums to see how to access the hidden menu). I currently own two Roku boxes. One of these is in my workout room in my basement. Despite showing 30-40% wireless signal strength there is a high degree of packet loss with my wireless router. So while the Roku will initially detect a fast connection, it eventually finds itself having to buffer excessively. Setting this box to a perfectly acceptable "2 dots" solved this problem.

I should point out that my other Roku box (the one upstairs by the router) works perfectly. I use the thing a ton (I don't even have cable anymore). I have easily watched over 100 hours on that box without it buffering once (then again I do have Verizon's FIOS which has been excellent so far).

Thanks for this post...it confirmed my suspicions and reinforced why I'd NEVER choose cable at a HSI option. :|