Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

muaddib009

connecting 2 tv's

Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:46 am

I am using the HDMI and optical outputs connected to my AV reciever inputs for my main Big screen tv.
I would like to also connect my bedroom television.
My question is:
Is it possible to use more than one set of the ouput connectors on the Roku box at a time.
Possibly use the composite or even component outputs to serve bedroom tv, while the HDMI/optical serves the living room?
Thanks

PirateKatz

Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:23 am

I was wondering the same thing.

Given the distance between my bedroom and the living room, I came to the conclusion that it is far simpler and cheaper to just buy a second Roku box. By the time you start adding more cables and an IR transmitter for the remote, it just didn't seem worth the effort.

I already use AVCast to pipe my Tivo throughout the house through the existing coax cables. It's not a bad system but unfortunately, it does not support HD. I'm debating on whether or not to just install a second MediaCaster to also pipe the Roku through the entire house. A lot of it depends on the likelihood of me buying an HD TV for the bedroom...

muaddib009

Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:47 am

Yea, with a long distance, it seems another box might be your best bet.

The two locations I'm dealing with share a wall though, so one box should be enough.
.....just curious how the connections would work out.
I'll try it tonight and find out that way I guess.

Mark12547

Re: connecting 2 tv's

Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:21 pm

muaddib009 wrote:
Is it possible to use more than one set of the ouput connectors on the Roku box at a time. Possibly use the composite or even component outputs to serve bedroom tv, while the HDMI/optical serves the living room?
Thanks

It's been stated that the Roku Netflix Box presents signals on all outputs at the same time. I don't know how true that is for HD signals, but if the box works fine for each TV individually with different outputs from the box without reconfiguring the box, it should work feeding both devices at the same time.

The biggest problem I would anticipate is the remote. The remote generates an infrared signal that requires line-of-sight to the box, so the biggest challenge would be controlling the box when the one watching the program is in another room.

--Mark
Wondering if people will start making house of mirrors to accommodate the remote.

muaddib009

Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:25 pm

Thanks Mark.
Yes I will try it tonight....luckily, the two sets I'll be using have a common wall and I will be able to setup a couple small mirrors to allow usage of remote in second room, which will save money on modulator or whatever I'd need to handle it. (extra equipment)

kumasuki

Re: connecting 2 tv's

Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:34 pm

Mark12547 wrote:
It's been stated that the Roku Netflix Box presents signals on all outputs at the same time.

Signal transmission does occur simultaneously on all outputs - however, only of a single selection - in other words, you CAN NOT have 2 different movies playing at the same time (whatever is showing on one TV has to be showing on the other)
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box

muaddib009

Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:40 pm

cool that works for me....Thanks!