Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

yegor
Topic Author

SD Quality is as Good as HD?

Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:43 pm

The Dish Network HD programing I had at 1080i seams worse to me than Roku's 720p.
My TV always displays 720p signal, doesn't matter I watch HD or SD from Netflix.
Also, Dish's SD channels were horrible on my SONY 46" LCD, where Roku's SD content
has very good quality: it's as good as I can't see any difference comparing to the HD.

Does Netflix broadcast everything at 720p?

nowhereman

Re: SD Quality is as Good as HD?

Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:04 pm

yegor wrote:
The Dish Network HD programing I had at 1080i seams worse to me than Roku's 720p.
My TV always displays 720p signal, doesn't matter I watch HD or SD from Netflix.
Also, Dish's SD channels were horrible on my SONY 46" LCD, where Roku's SD content
has very good quality: it's as good as I can't see any difference comparing to the HD.

Does Netflix broadcast everything at 720p?

Netflix streams come in 480 (SD) and 720 (HD). I can't link to it since it's in a private forum, but during the beta cycle one of the Roku guys stated that the box upconverts SD streams to 720p.

So the answer to your question is no, Netflix does not send everything out at 720p, but the box does upconvert lower quality streams.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix

yegor
Topic Author

Re: SD Quality is as Good as HD?

Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:16 pm

Netflix streams come in 480 (SD) and 720 (HD). I can't link to it since it's in a private forum, but during the beta cycle one of the Roku guys stated that the box upconverts SD streams to 720p.

So the answer to your question is no, Netflix does not send everything out at 720p, but the box does upconvert lower quality streams.

OK, now t makes sense. Thanks for the reply!