Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

not an audio sync problem?

Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:18 pm

I have Liar Liar in my movie queue, and when I watch it on my Roku box, the video stutters at the beginning during the Universal "globe" screen.. After that stutter, all the audio is off by a couple seconds.

However, when I view the movie on my PC, it doesn't have that stutter to it. Is this a different stream than what's being sent to my Roku? If so, can I force the other stream to it for just this movie?

Can anyone else out there verify that with the latest firmware, they're having this same stutter/sync issue with Liar Liar?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Giljorak

Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:24 pm

Yes the same thing happens to me.

The universal logo hiccups a couple of times and the audio is out of sync.

I have the 1.5 firmware.
There are 11 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary, those that don't, & those that think they do.

:shock: Proud member of America's most distrusted minority.:idea:

nowhereman

Re: not an audio sync problem?

Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:27 pm

jeffrok wrote:
I have Liar Liar in my movie queue, and when I watch it on my Roku box, the video stutters at the beginning during the Universal "globe" screen.. After that stutter, all the audio is off by a couple seconds.

However, when I view the movie on my PC, it doesn't have that stutter to it. Is this a different stream than what's being sent to my Roku? If so, can I force the other stream to it for just this movie?

Can anyone else out there verify that with the latest firmware, they're having this same stutter/sync issue with Liar Liar?

I'm not near my box to confirm your issue, but you're almost certainly dealing with 2 different streams. Your PC is probably getting the old main profile stream and the box as of the 1.5 update only plays the new advanced profile streams.

One thing you can do is go into the "secret screen" on your player and you will see an option to force it to play the older streams.

the key sequence for the secret screen is...
HOME (5 times) - REWIND (3 times) - FAST FORWARD (2 times)
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix

RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:42 pm

The old main profile stream works fine. It's the advanced profile stream that has this problem.

Whether this is a Netflix issue or a Roku issue will take some investigation, which we will verify as soon as we can.

mjz

Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:40 pm

Oh no ... Twilight zone season one - all out of sync. What to do???
audio lags video by 20 or more seconds.

Jazz1

Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:45 pm

snip

One thing you can do is go into the "secret screen" on your player and you will see an option to force it to play the older streams.

HOME (5 times) - REWIND (3 times) - FAST FORWARD (2 times)[/quote]

Okay, I have the problem, and got to the secret screen. What option should I choose exactly. I'm not seeing "older streams" so I assume one of the selections represents that option? But what options "XXXX" is it?

Thanks, worked great until I did the 1.5 update. This is really disappointing as I've got a temporarily bedridden spouse that sure could use the movie therapy.

Jazz1

Didn't Do Secret Screen Fix-But Now Working

Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:45 pm

I don't know what changed overnight, but I'm getting good sych between action and dialog on today's choices made by other family members.

I have not yet checked the troublesome NCIS Season 6 as I haven't been able to with family members using the service today. One change I do see is that I've gone down one dot from 4 to 3 dots in quality. Was my Roku biting off more than it could chew with these newer streams. I don't have an HD TV. I have a pretty fast "premium" cable Internet "Max" Mediacom account. Of course it does yo-yo in speed. Maybe everyone else in the neighborhood is buying Roku/Netflix boxes ;)

Anyway, I hope there is a long term fix for this because people will adopt and drop this service if they don't get consistent quality when there are tried and true alternatives like cable and DirectTV alternatives. Having a vast library of movies and t.v. shows is great, but only if the viewing experience is watchable.

jeffrok
Topic Author

Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:05 pm

nowhereman wrote:
jeffrok wrote:

I'm not near my box to confirm your issue, but you're almost certainly dealing with 2 different streams. Your PC is probably getting the old main profile stream and the box as of the 1.5 update only plays the new advanced profile streams.

HOME (5 times) - REWIND (3 times) - FAST FORWARD (2 times)

Yep- the main profile stream is working fine-- verified it last night.. It's too bad Netflix is rushing these advanced streams out without quality control- the good advanced profile streams look and load much better (in my opinion!)
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

Jazz1

Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:28 pm

snip[/quote]

Yep- the main profile stream is working fine-- verified it last night.. It's too bad Netflix is rushing these advanced streams out without quality control- the good advanced profile streams look and load much better (in my opinion!)[/quote]

So basically are there are two separate libraries? The new 1.5 library movies are somehow "ripped" with flaws? So this may not be an end user issue then, but one in the hands of the content provider Netflix?

I don't have a t.v. that does HD, so do these new streams offer me anything? I thought maybe I read in the forum they take less bandwidth and give higher quality.

Sorry for the newbie questions, I've tried to glean what I can from the forums.

jeffrok
Topic Author

Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:39 pm

You may want to stick to the main profile streams if you don't have HD (for now).. Those seem to be the most consistently "ripped" copies.. Yeah- the way I understand it is there's different copies of movies.. Main profile (the "old" type- that you see when you do Instantly View on Netflix.com) and the advanced profile stream- which are the newer HD capable streams.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

nowhereman

Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:16 pm

jeffrok wrote:
You may want to stick to the main profile streams if you don't have HD (for now).. Those seem to be the most consistently "ripped" copies.. Yeah- the way I understand it is there's different copies of movies.. Main profile (the "old" type- that you see when you do Instantly View on Netflix.com) and the advanced profile stream- which are the newer HD capable streams.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

that's right. there are two completely different sets of streams. the advanced profile streams deliver better quality at lower bit rates. a 4-dot main profile SD stream is something like 2.2 mbps while a 4-dot advanced profile SD stream is only 1.5 mbps. unfortunately netflix's quality control has been lacking in the creation of the advanced profile streams.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix