Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

HRS
Topic Author

Successive stream requests improve number of "dots"

Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:26 am

I've noticed this behavior several times lately:

I start a HD stream, but the debugger says "can't play a 1.5 MB stream on a 1.5 MB network." So, I get only three dots.

I immediately restart the stream and it improves to four dots.

I restart again and I get four dots + HD. The title then plays through at this quality level.

It almost seems like "something" in the chain is saying "give him a slow stream and see if he's satisfied; if he complains, raise the quality a notch."

(My Internet connection is very stable and always tests out at > 5 MBPS.)
Roku, v 2.0, fed via wi-fi signal from Netgear WGR614v9 router, using WPA security. Measured bandwidth (AT&T DSL) consistently over 5.1 mBit/sec.

nowhereman

Re: Successive stream requests improve number of "dots&

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:32 am

HRS wrote:
I've noticed this behavior several times lately:

I start a HD stream, but the debugger says "can't play a 1.5 MB stream on a 1.5 MB network." So, I get only three dots.

I immediately restart the stream and it improves to four dots.

I restart again and I get four dots + HD. The title then plays through at this quality level.

It almost seems like "something" in the chain is saying "give him a slow stream and see if he's satisfied; if he complains, raise the quality a notch."

(My Internet connection is very stable and always tests out at > 5 MBPS.)

It was officially suggested by Roku at some point that if you get a crappy stream you should let it play for a few minutes then try again. Something to do with the way the box measures your connection and selects which stream to grab.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix