Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jdanna
Topic Author

Guided setup stuck

Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:07 am

I just got my netflix player, and i plug it in and it just sits on "press select to begin" with the light on the front periodically flashing

pressing select, or any other button on the remote does nothing
ive tried changing the batteries in the remote, what else could i be doing wrong?
Last edited by jdanna on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdanna
Topic Author

Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:30 am

also if i stick the remote in front of a cell phone camera that can see the IR LED, it looks like the LED is constantly ON until i press a button, then it turns off

dont know if that helps at all
i was really looking forward to this thing working too :/

opiate

Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:04 pm

What kind of TV do you have?
If it's a LCD make sure your back light setting is turned up all the way. If it's a Sharp LCD turn the OPC function OFF.
These functions depending on the setting can interfere with the remote commands from the roku.

I would be curious to review the FCC certification on this box/remote. By trade I am an EMC engineer and it would be interesting to look at the emission plots.

ROKU Devs... has this product been UL certified? I do not see a stamp nor an FCC Id. Is this available? Just out of curiosity I would like to look at it. If I have a number it is available to the public on the FCC.gov website.

jdanna
Topic Author

Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Actually i think ive figured it out

The light is flashing cause the remote control is ALWAYS sending out stuff
I didnt have sound turned on before, the box is going "ding ding ding ding" over and over and it stops when i cover up the remote or take out the batteries.

none of the buttons are physically stuck

im on hold waiting for customer service now, im 99% sure i need a new remote.
i wish i had a code i could use to get my sony tv remote or my comcast STB remote to control it, that would at least hold me over until i get a new one

my anticipated hold time has been 10 minutes for the past 30 minutes
i have a feeling everybodys gone home

jdanna
Topic Author

Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:45 pm

while i was waiting on hold for 45 minutes, i got impatient, grabbed a screwdriver and ripped the remote apart.

cleaned all the contacts, and got it thru setup and everything works.
the left arrow was acting up a bit so i took it all apart again, cleaned a bit more and made sure the button pad was posistioned exactly right, and now everything is great.

So far i love it - im getting great quality streams, SD and HD, and its working perfectly

But this junky made in china remote is absolute rubbish.