Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

kristinar
Topic Author

Left out of the HD party?

Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:47 pm

Sadness! Found out I'm limited to my 2.7 Mbps DSL (tried to upgrade, but they said I was 200 feet too far from the CO). So, apart from switching to cable, which I don't want to do, am I not going to enjoy the new HD content that's recently become available?

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:25 pm

HD requires 2.6mbps, and if you're maxing out at 2.7mbps you probably won't get HD. But- you should be able to get the stream just below HD which looks pretty good itself with the newest firmware.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

kumasuki

Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:58 pm

2.7 Mbps is sufficient for viewing upconverted content (which the latest firmware now supports) at 720p quality.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box

kristinar
Topic Author

Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:05 pm

So, should I force a quality level to always get upconverted 720p?

nathug

Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:10 pm

kristinar wrote:
So, should I force a quality level to always get upconverted 720p?

No, just leave it on auto to get the best quality your network can handle.

Nate

dvo01

Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:59 pm

Can you get the upscaled 720P output via composite or s-video? Or do you need to use the component or HDMI connections?

booyah5

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:39 am

As far as I know:
dvo01 wrote:
Can you get the upscaled 720P output via composite or s-video?
No.

dvo01 wrote:
Or do you need to use the component or HDMI connections?
Yes.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:55 am

This is true of any video source, not just the Netflix box- you need at least component cables or HDMI cables to get 720P.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

mitch520

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:13 am

I'm using a S Video cable and the quality is good, clear picture. I hooked a HDMI cable up to see if there was any difference in the picture and I couldn't notice any. Only have 2 HDMI inputs on the TV and I use them for Direct TV receiver and the other one for the DVD player. I would have to get a switch, my audio video receiver doesn't have any HDMI inputs. Using the HDMI cable the audio would only come out of the TV speakers, using the S Video cable the audio comes out all 5 speakers.

DoomsDay

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:18 am

mitch520 wrote:
I'm using a S Video cable and the quality is good, clear picture. I hooked a HDMI cable up to see if there was any difference in the picture and I couldn't notice any. Only have 2 HDMI inputs on the TV and I use them for Direct TV receiver and the other one for the DVD player. I would have to get a switch, my audio video receiver doesn't have any HDMI inputs. Using the HDMI cable the audio would only come out of the TV speakers, using the S Video cable the audio comes out all 5 speakers.

There should be a very noticable difference between using HDMI and S-video for the picture quality but that could also be determined by the stream that you are getting, if your getting a lower end stream then it would not help as much. As for using the HDMI, if you want sound to come out of your receiver then you need to run the rca audio cables (or optical if your receiver supports it) over to it. All video and audio are always on with all the connections so if you dont run everything through your receiver, then you will have to rig it up like that in order for it to work.

RWatson

Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:28 pm

I have the new HD software, connected to HD with HDMI cable, the TV thinks it is getting a 720 picture and looks great, even with standard files.
But, I think you should force your connection. I have a 1.5 meg connection (Covad fixed wireless) but I force my unit to four stars. It is slow loading but rarely, if ever, pauses. Try it!
I also tried a HD movie from the list (Vote for Me). It looked great even though I couldn't be absolutely sure I was getting the HD file from NetFlix. My TV is a 62" Samsung and this new software seems VERY worthwhile, even with my pokey (relatively speaking but very reliable) connection.

Bron

Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:43 pm

mitch520 wrote:

Both the composite and S-Video output are very, very good on the Roku - about as good as it gets for standard def content. Depending on the size of your screen, the difference may be more or less noticeable, but you should notice a difference. That said, even the composite quality is very watchable. I, too, currently need a switch and am so lazy that I've got mine on composite most of the time and it bothers me not at all. Of course, I'm watching on a 32 inch HDTV, so it's not as big a deal. On a larger screen, I'm sure I'd be less satisfied.

Now that I have the HD update, I will be switching to component -- but I'm in no big hurry, given the shortage of good HD content currently. Because I know that once I switch, I'll be jonesing for HD more and more...and now I'm quite content with SD, so why stir things up? ;)

Besides, there should be some great sales on HD sets this spring! :D

mitch520

Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:28 pm

I receive 4 dots, I have a 70 LCD

dvo01

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:52 am

Can anyone give an explanation of the upconverting of the SD image by the Roku box? What streams is the upconverting available for? I generally get the 1.5 Mbps stream and have the box connected to the TV using s-video. The difference between Component and S-video is pretty minimal so I'm thinking that the upconversion via component for an SD image only happens at the highest stream rates. Does that sound right?

I'm looking at this because my component input on my TV is taken by my HD cable box and my HDMI is taken by the DVD player. I have the Roku normally hooked up through s-video which has been rock solid on SD with 1.5 streams. If I thought I could get consistent upconversion I might get a component or HDMI switch but may hold off and see what the prices for the new streaming capable Blu-ray players come in at this summer.

mitch520

Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:38 pm

I would have got the streaming Blu Ray player but they are not wireless!