Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

euckersw
Topic Author

Echo?

Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:02 pm

I just got my Netflix Player for Christmas and upon hooking it up to my Sony receiver I've noticed an echo in the speech of each movie I've watched. It's really kind of annoying. I get the same echo whether I have it in 2 channel, Dolby Pro Logic, or Dolby Pro Logic II Movie. Anybody else have this issue, and if so, any reason for it or any fix? Thank you in advance.

nowhereman

Re: Echo?

Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:23 pm

euckersw wrote:
I just got my Netflix Player for Christmas and upon hooking it up to my Sony receiver I've noticed an echo in the speech of each movie I've watched. It's really kind of annoying. I get the same echo whether I have it in 2 channel, Dolby Pro Logic, or Dolby Pro Logic II Movie. Anybody else have this issue, and if so, any reason for it or any fix? Thank you in advance.

Just a shot in the dark. Is your player connected to your TV via HDMI? If so, the audio is going to the TV over that connection as well as the video. And if the audio is going to both your receiver and your TV, that might be why you're hearing the echo. Try turning the volume on the TV all the way down.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix

kumasuki

Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:24 pm

Try disabling downstream sampling on the receiver.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box

euckersw
Topic Author

Re: Echo?

Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:29 pm

nowhereman wrote:
euckersw wrote:

Just a shot in the dark. Is your player connected to your TV via HDMI? If so, the audio is going to the TV over that connection as well as the video. And if the audio is going to both your receiver and your TV, that might be why you're hearing the echo. Try turning the volume on the TV all the way down.

You're a genius! I am a little embarrassed to admit that this is exactly the problem (d'oh!). I hadn't even considered it, as I usually have the TV's speakers turned off, but had recently turned them on for some Wii playing. Thank you so much!