Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Bob H
Topic Author

Only get fuzzy lines when I hook up with Component video

Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:46 pm

Just received a Roku Netflix box as a present. My 5 year old TV already has its complement of Composite connection filled. The only remaining connection is for Component video, so I hooked up the Roku with Component video cables, but all I get is wavy lines.

The help desk said that maybe my problem is that my TV does not support 480p which he implied that the Netflix Roku requires.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

shelleyp

Re: Only get fuzzy lines when I hook up with Component video

Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:31 pm

Bob H wrote:
Just received a Roku Netflix box as a present. My 5 year old TV already has its complement of Composite connection filled. The only remaining connection is for Component video, so I hooked up the Roku with Component video cables, but all I get is wavy lines.

The help desk said that maybe my problem is that my TV does not support 480p which he implied that the Netflix Roku requires.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

My roommate has an older TV, which also doesn't support 480p. I bought him a composite switch, (Amazon http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SVID410I ... 000E17CK6/, though there are others), which worked well.

Others may have other workarounds, but this was simple, quick, and also allows for multiple devices.

eri3k

Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:32 pm

As a test, hook the player up to one of the composite inputs on your TV. Are you able to get a clean picture from the composite output on the Roku?

The customer support was correct that there is no 480i mode over component. One of the Roku QA engineers describes the modes available in this post:
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?p=106133&highlight=#106133

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Only get fuzzy lines when I hook up with Component video

Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:09 pm

Bob H wrote:

Can anyone help?

Thanks

What brand and model of TV is it?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Bob H
Topic Author

TV Model

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:48 pm

The TV is a Sony FD Trinition WEGA Model # KV-32FV26.

Bob H
Topic Author

I was able to get it to work with the composite video

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:52 pm

Not a great solution as this composite video port was alread allocated to my DVD. If I use this also for the Roku, then I would need a separate switch for the inputs and my component port will still be unused.

jeffrok

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:36 am

I looked up your TV online and it doesn't support 480p, as the help desk told you. If you hook it up using composite video or S-Video, you can use the Roku box with your TV. If you use composite, you'll need a switchbox (available for about $15-$20 at Walmart or Target).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

eri3k

Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:28 am

Sorry, Bob, but it sounds like you may be SOL.

At this point it looks like your options are:

1. See if you can take one of the devices currently occupying a composite connection and pass your antenna or cable signal through it. For example use a coax cable to connect the RF out on your VCR or DVR that is currently using composite to the VHF/UHF input on your TV.

2. Invest in the cables and A/V switcher to have all components connected at the same time. In addition to increasing your sunk cost, there is a loss of convenience associated with this solution.

3. Manually swap out the connections each time you want to use a device that is not connected. I suspect this would get old very quickly.

4. Bite the bullet and decide that one of the devices just doesn't make the cut. The Roku is about the right size for a paperweight, but this application hardly shows off the player's full potential.

jeffrok

Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:17 am

Or bite the bullet and buy a 30-40" plasma/LCD from Walmart. They have them for well under $1,000 now and that old Wega of yours is probably going on 9 years old.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

Bob H
Topic Author

Thanks all!

Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:15 pm

My short term solution is a splitter. Longer term, a new TV.