Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

kajguy03
Topic Author

What Happened To My Roku: Always Low Quality Now

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:05 am

I used to LOVE my Roku. However, ever since about 1 month ago, it now consistently only retrieves movies at the lowest quality (one dot), whereas before it was usually at highest quality (four dots).

I am using the same wifi connection and the Roku tells me the signal from my Netgear Rangemax Router is "excellent". The Roku software version is 1.01 and when I check for updates, it says it is up to date.

So, what is wrong? The quality of the downloaded films is almost unwatchable.

My internet download speed is 9881 kbps.

Any thoughts on what is causing this dreadful "low quality" problem and how to resolve it?

-- Chris
Last edited by kajguy03 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt-Boy

Update

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:12 am

There is an update to version 1.5 so make sure you get that.

There are still some issues after the update. I, and others apparently, are having problems with the video rebuffering often. Still experimenting.

If you haven't seen it elsewhere, the "hidden" menu where you can force it to 4 dots if you want to is accessed by hitting Home 5 times and then rewind 3 times and then fast forward 2 times. It takes a few tries as the timing has to be right.

RebelElvis10

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:36 am

What helped me was resetting the Roku player. I didn't just plug it and unplug it, but actually did the reset thing on the back of it. That helped tremendously. Hope this helps you!

kajguy03
Topic Author

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:49 am

Thanks for the help. I just confirmed with my internet provide that my download speed is 10 mbps, which is the highest they offer. So, that is not the problem. I will follow the advice suggested above and report back. Thank you and have a Happy New Year!!!

-- Chris

kajguy03
Topic Author

Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:52 pm

Forcing the Roku to update to version 1.5 appears to have cleared the low quality problem, however, it is now rebuffering more than normal and the quality is fluctuating between 3 and 4.

wideasleep1

Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:18 pm

Who is your internet provider?
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

kajguy03
Topic Author

Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:22 pm

My ISP is Time Warner Cable. I talked with their Tech Support this morning and was told the 10 mbps was the highest speed they offered.

-- Chris

wideasleep1

Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:32 pm

kajguy03 wrote:
My ISP is Time Warner Cable. I talked with their Tech Support this morning and was told the 10 mbps was the highest speed they offered.

-- Chris

It's not so much the high speed (speed tests will always look deceptively fast) but the suspision of traffic shaping is quite high, and TWC singularly has a burden of evidence it is doing so. Users here report fine performance with Watch Instantly (and their respective servers) on their computers vs. Roku NP (and their different servers), so this initially made it more difficult to 'prove'. However, enough users here suffering bandwidth issues (symptoms include stalls/rebuffering, low stream speed selection, slow load times,etc) lean heavily towards TWC, a common denominator. Google 'TWC traffic shaping' to reveal links like:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r184684 ... l-RR-Users

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r200896 ... ic-shaping

I think the best you can do is manually dial in the speed that is most watchable and consistent, short of pitching a fit with TWC or going with another provider. :|
Then as it was, then again it will be

An' though the course may change sometimes,

rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!