Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

krypto
Topic Author

Any hope of an official response from Roku?

Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:53 pm

I am trying to decide if I should return the Roku.

I bought it for my parents as a xmas gift, they like it....BUT

No 1080i - will that happen in a future update?

No Closed Captioning - will that happen in an update?

I was really hoping for an official word from Roku.

They like the box, but my Mom is hard of hearing. They can live without 1080i (but want it)..but without CC it's a no go.

If there is a possibilty of these two features being added they will keep the box.

Thanks

nowhereman

Re: Any hope of an official response from Roku?

Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:16 pm

Roku has said that the box is capable of displaying closed captioning. The problem is that Netflix does not encode closed captions in their streams. So that is probably something to take up with Netflix.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=17347
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix

QuantumIguana

Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:17 pm

The Roku may be updated for 1080i support down the road, but the closed captioning issue is a Netflix problem, not a Roku problem. The Roku box is capable of handling whatever method Netflix uses for closed captioning, but until Netflix figures out what they want to do, it won't be resolved.

My hearing is just fine, but I would like closed captioning for times when the room is loud (kids screaming, adults screaming, people screaming in general :) )

wideasleep1

Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:31 pm

'Official' is a difficult expectation to meet, since Roku (as well as most companies, in fact) are intentionally quiet about their plans. Hopefully the member responses here are sufficient enough for you, since I think that's the most you can expect, and I think the answers are accurate. I hope your folks keep the box, as I can't imagine life without it now..and have no interest in BluRay/XBOX alternatives.
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

-LD

Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:41 pm

Looks like you should have read up on the capabilities before purchasing.

RWatson

Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:49 pm

The latest update, which you probably don't have (yet), includes 720P HD signal, at least through a HDMI cable. (I have two boxes, one updated, the other not yet). You will be quite happy with the 720 (which most ABC stations in the country use for HD). I am delighted with it. KEEP THE BOX!