Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

susanart03
Topic Author

can't get set-up screen

Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:05 pm

I am trying to set up my new Roku. I have plugged it in to the power outlet, and have connected it to the TV. The Roku is showing a blinking white light. I got a message on the TV (briefly) that said "You have new hardware connected to your TV. Do you want to use it?" but neither the TV nor the Roku remote seemed to select the answer, which went away with no further actions allowed. No set up screen has appeared at all.

How do I get a set up screen so I can start playing with this toy? I've tried unplugging the box from the TV and reconnecting, and pointing the Roku remote at the box and hitting "select," but neither has worked.

wideasleep1

Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:19 pm

Howdy Susan!
What connection are you using to the tv? Is the TV 'tuned' to the connection you are using? (ie. use TV's menu to select the active port you are hooked up to).
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

susanart03
Topic Author

Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:41 pm

Aha!! I hoped it would be something that simple. That did indeed fix that part of it. Now, however.... the box sees the wireless network and connects to it, even accepting the password. However, it says it can't get an internet connection. My Mac is on that network and gets the internet (via TWC). So why won't the Roku get the internet?

wideasleep1

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:52 pm

Progress is good, regardless of pace! :)

What router do you use, and is it performing DHCP duties?

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

susanart03
Topic Author

Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:20 pm

I'm using an Airport Express. And, um.... sorry, but I don't know what DHCP is. (My tech knowledge is spotty at best.) The Mac and an HP printer are both on the network. I will say, though, that a Dell laptop does the same thing-- on the network, not on the internet, if that tells you anything.

wideasleep1

Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:35 pm

DHCP is simply a server on the router that hands out IP addresses/leases..the fact the NP is not getting one leads me to suspect the Airport is not seeing, or preventing the acks required to allocate an addy. I don't have an Apple anything, so I'll defer to an Apple Airport user..we have plenty here, so don't fret. :)