Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

redline9000
Topic Author

Strange problem with "Class of Nuke 'Em High"

Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:23 pm

I have the 1.5 firmware in my Roku box. The box is connected to a 35" standard definition Sony TV via S-Video.

So far, I have had wonderful results with the new firmware except for one title, "Class of Nuke 'Em High". When viewing this title, the image is displayed on a diagonal starting from the top right corner of the screen to the bottom left. This diagonal stripe is about 1/3 the width of the picture with the rest of the picture displayed in two additional stripes on either side of the main stripe.

At first I though this was some strange sync issue between the Roku and my TV, but I noticed that when I used the FF or RW buttons to display the forward and back frames, the display was normal but the images in the small frame windows were also diagonal. Then, even stranger, the "current" frame (the center one) corrected itself as I watched and did not press any other buttons on the remote.

I tried pausing and restarting, even going back to the home menu and restarting, with no success in getting a corrected picture during playback.

Something seems to be wrong with this film, as the other 3 I have watched since the upgrade have been fine.

Can anyone else confirm or deny this issue?

Thanks,
-don-

Mark12547

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:36 am

Confirmed. On the 4-dot (non-HD) 1.5Mbps stream, this movie's video is unwatchable. (I am using composite video to feed my old TV since my TV understands only 480i.)

Switching to "default profile streams", the 2.5Mbps stream (4-dot, non-HD) looks normal.

You can switch between "default profile streams" and "advanced profile streams" on the debug screen. To get there, press home 5 times, rewind 3 times, fast forward 2 times, using about 1/2 second between presses. (It may take several tries to get there. Remember: rewind and fast forward are the bottom row of buttons, not the buttons on the side of Select.)

On the debug screen, "default profile streams" is a selection near the bottom of the screen. If you change the streams used, the next time in that line will read "advanced profile streams" since it is displaying what it will switch to if you select that item, not what the current setting is.

However, it still remains that the 1.5Mbps stream is either bad or the Box is misinterpreting it. The thumbnail file looks like it is probably correct. (The thumbnails are a separate file from the actual content.)

PS: steam problems can also be reported in this thread: Sticky: Report All Movie and Audio sync Problems Here

I have gone ahead and posted that. That thread is monitored by Roku, which does additional research (which may result in working on a fix in their code or going back to Netflix to let them know the stream itself is bad).

redline9000
Topic Author

Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:54 pm

Mark12547 wrote:
Confirmed. On the 4-dot (non-HD) 1.5Mbps stream, this movie's video is unwatchable. (I am using composite video to feed my old TV since my TV understands only 480i.)

Switching to "default profile streams", the 2.5Mbps stream (4-dot, non-HD) looks normal.

Thanks for the help. Switching to the default profile streams fixed it for me also.

-don-