Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

HRS
Topic Author

I'm guessing Netflix ran short on HD connections last night

Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:59 am

Last night I tried to watch an HD stream from Netflix; this has worked pretty well since the 1.5 firmware.

With debugging on, the Roku box said "playing 1.5 mb stream on 3.7 mb network." Since the magic number for an HD stream seems to be 2.6 mb, it appears the Netflix server farm was maxed-out on HD connections. Let's hope this is only a temporary limitation.
Roku, v 2.0, fed via wi-fi signal from Netgear WGR614v9 router, using WPA security. Measured bandwidth (AT&T DSL) consistently over 5.1 mBit/sec.

NDbentley

Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:46 am

When was the new firmware release?
I tried to update mine a minute ago and it still said
1.01 build 00229

I want MY HD :(

spumoni

Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:52 am

NDbentley wrote:
1.01 build 00229

One of the Roku guys posted a message about a tweak to their upgrade servers... request the upgrade 3 times within 30 seconds and you will get the upgrade automatically. Otherwise, you have to wait for your serial number to come up for Roku to push the upgrade to you.

HRS
Topic Author

Never mind!! (See below)

Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:30 am

I was watching Star Trek, season one, episode two, The series is billed as an HD title.

But, of the twenty-odd episodes in that series, all are in HD, except episode two. So....never mind. Otherwise, HD is working fine today.
Roku, v 2.0, fed via wi-fi signal from Netgear WGR614v9 router, using WPA security. Measured bandwidth (AT&T DSL) consistently over 5.1 mBit/sec.

NDbentley

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:00 am

spumoni wrote:
NDbentley wrote:
1.01 build 00229

One of the Roku guys posted a message about a tweak to their upgrade servers... request the upgrade 3 times within 30 seconds and you will get the upgrade automatically. Otherwise, you have to wait for your serial number to come up for Roku to push the upgrade to you.

I found the article and updated it successfully thanks.
Kind of disappointed with HD PQ though.
Maybe because I'm so used to bluray quality.

Does anybody know the time frame when
Roku will release a firmware for other content providers
other than Netflix? Like Hulu ect...

HRS
Topic Author

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:09 am

I have a Blu-ray player as well. Yes, Netflix HD is hardly Blu-ray quality (at no more than about 1/10 the bitrate of even a single-layer BD), but it's not really too bad, all things considered, and significantly better than a four-dot SD Netflix title.

NDbentley

Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:39 pm

My Bad. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
After firmware was updated I didn't go back and change the setting to
HDTV. I left it at 16:9
After I changed it the picture was much better, a lot better than I expected almost the same as Network broadcast quality.
Now I can't wait for other HD content from other providers to show up.
I hope Netflix hurry up with more HD movies.