Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

bob.teatow

Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:41 am

In answer to the forum topic: "Duuh... do you hear stereo sound on Netflix movies? Hello-oh!"

As mentioned on other Topics/threads, we need Roku to make a public release of the SDK/protocols so anyone and any organization is free to make new apps and services available on the Roku.

If this is is contrary to their business interests ($$$ !!) they ought to explain it, and release a limited SDK that only works on home networks - so at least we can watch our home videos and private collections of MP3s on our Rokus.

vinnyv07

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:24 pm

I am a Sirius sub with one lifetime radio and one I pay for per month. I can not at this point ever go back to listening to terr radio in my car with a ton of commercials. I think it is the best money I have spent in a long while. I was able to get the lifetime for 400 bucks about three years ago and it has paid off big time. The streaming comes free now for lifetime subs and it would be great to listen through Roku. Go ahead ROKU....make it happen!

djwilso

Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:50 pm

XM is available in Windows Media Center, and it's very cool.

The video portion of the equation is the part where it shows you which artist, album, and track are playing. It would follow that there would be onscreen links to purchase the tracks from the Amazon MP3 store or something along those lines. Money to be made I would think.

The XM Vista sidebar gadget allows all kinds of lookups and track purchases from Amazon as I described above. It is also very cool and that's what I use to listen on my computer now.

The same or similar functionality on the Roku would be something I would use every day.

ahajduk

Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:28 am

RokuAnthony wrote:
Yes, the video player could do internet radio (or pandora or whatever).

We internally debate whether customers would appreciate music on it. You would have to turn on your TV to select the music. What do you think?

I think an emphatic Yes! this is a feature I would like to see. Having to turn on the TV is not a big deal. This is no different than what I have to do to listen to music through my Satellite TV receiver (which I am trying to get rid of and the Roku is helping me get closer and closer to this goal). If you can work into it that the screen saver is the Artist - Song Title and maybe album cover that would be awesome as well.

alanmc

Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:36 am

@ ahajduk

With internet radio, the information that will be available would be restricted to that provided as meta data by each individual station (many stations do not broadcast any meta data).

ahajduk

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:02 am

@alanmc

True, but Last.fm and Pandora (which I think were mentioned in earlier posts) do send this information. All I am saying is if possible include this info, if not put the bouncing Roku screen saver up in place of the song info or blank the screen or some visualizer effects.

alanmc

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:45 am

@ ahajduk

Being somewhat pedantic about this, Last.fm, Live365, Pandora and Iceberg Radio are not in real terms internet radio stations but are to be considered as "Streaming Services" . . . .

To give you an insight on what goes on here in the UK:- subscription radio services have fallen on deaf ears, and whilst TV broadcasters all offer several hundred radio stations, uploaded* surveys from our TVs have found that very few people listen to them, but prefer to use their DAB (HD) radios for this purpose, some also combine FM & internet radio (see http://www.pure.com/products/product.as ... t=VL-60896). AM radio is 'dead' here.

* most of our TVs are connected to our phone-lines to enable interactive services . . . . and the broadcasters can then use this facility to upload data from our TVs. Yes, "Big Brother" is watching us.

dclark61

Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:19 am

RokuAnthony wrote:

We internally debate whether customers would appreciate music on it. You would have to turn on your TV to select the music. What do you think?

No doubt about it, this would be a great thing. And I'm betting you'll sell a LOT of boxes when people hear about it.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:41 am

RokuAnthony wrote:

I may not be typical, but I currently turn on the computer, an extender, and the TV to stream NPR because my OTA signal is often poor.

billc124

Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:48 am

I would rather they focus on the video content since I am looking to cut my cable, the audio stuff would be nice, but I can do that via a number of other methods like with the PC I have hooked up to my TV. Sirius/XM is going to begin charging extra for internet streaming and I won't pay extra for that since I can get my streaming audio fix by other means. If it remains free with my subscription for my car, then I would use it, but only if it were to remain free.

alanmc

Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:18 am

To me the whole concept of switching-on a video device (TV) in order to listen to a purely audio source is totally alien.
In my home we keep just one battery/mains radio for any “emergencyâ€

billc124

Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:45 am

[quote="alanmc"]To me the whole concept of switching-on a video device (TV) in order to listen to a purely audio source is totally alien.
In my home we keep just one battery/mains radio for any “emergencyâ€

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:55 am

alanmc wrote:
IMHO nothing could be more pathetic than sitting in my lounge listening to music whilst having to stare at a large screen watching a screen-saver or visualizations

I don't stare at a large screen. I read the newspaper, but then I'm probably a bit older than most of you. I got my first TV in 1954.

dkinch

Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:58 pm

RokuAnthony wrote:

It would be a wonderful addition adding even more entertainment value. We presently enjoy Internet radio (Sirius, Slacker, and Pandora via Logitech Squeezebox). However, it could provide functionality similar to AppleTV with the option for cover art display.

KennyJ

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:12 pm

alanmc wrote:
IMHO nothing could be more pathetic than sitting in my lounge listening to music whilst having to stare at a large screen watching a screen-saver or visualizations

I usually only listen to music in my car or at work. However, there are sometimes I like to listen at home and we don't currently have a radio in our front room. Which means, I either listen to a CD via the DVD player or use our cable (Actually FIOS) music stations. My FIOS box also lets me stream my own mp3s from my computer.

So, turning on my TV at home is usually what happens when we want to to listen to music in the living room. We don't usually stare at the screen though.