Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

solitaryman422
Topic Author

MAKING DESKTOP WIRELESS FOR NETFLIX

Sun May 17, 2009 11:12 am

I use Netflix & have been reading about streaming movies directly to my TV, But do not have wireless connection on my desktop. How would I make my desktop wireless so I can stream netflix to my TVto in the living room while my pc is in my bed room??
Ira S. Cohen

billc124

Sun May 17, 2009 11:39 am

You can't. Do you own a Roku DVP?

solitaryman422
Topic Author

Sun May 17, 2009 12:35 pm

NO, WHY; & what I read about it; I believe I would also need to make my desktop wireless??
Ira S. Cohen

billc124

Sun May 17, 2009 1:03 pm

You either need to hook your desktop computer to your TV, via a very long cable (since you want to have your computer in the other room) which makes controlling the PC impossible and your TV may not support it or buy a Roku DVP and a wireless router. There isn't really an easy or any way to get Netflix on your TV with a desktop computer that is not physically connected to your TV.

solitaryman422
Topic Author

THANK YOU

Sun May 17, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanks for the info. If I buy a Roku DVP & a wireless router, how would netflix get to my tv & could I have it go through my home theatre B-4 it goes to the tv? I'm sorry, I don't exactly know about this Roku. I have been reading about this wireless Samsung DVD player that will stream netflix & I saw it @ Best Buy??? You don't have to take the time to reply if I am bothering you... solitaryman422
Ira S. Cohen

DoomsDay

Sun May 17, 2009 1:41 pm

Maybe this can help. A wireless router still has wired connections on it also. You can keep your desktop connected via a wired connection and the rest of the wireless items you want can be connected via wireless as long as they are wireless devices.
Below is a diagram that may help in understanding how it could be hooked up with multiple devices. Notice that the wireless router does have regular ethernet ports so that you can connect some things like your desktop to it via wired. Not all wireless routers have ethernet ports so you just have to make sure when you purchase one that it does have ethernet ports on it as well. Anyway, hope this may help a little.

Also to answer your above question, yes you can use the roku box through your home theater system. keep in mind that the samsung player you saw still requires the exact same thing in terms of a wireless router in order to connect up to netflix.

eri3k

Sun May 17, 2009 2:07 pm

DoomsDay wrote:
keep in mind that the samsung player you saw still requires the exact same thing in terms of a wireless router in order to connect up to netflix.

Almost all of the Blu-ray players that stream Netflix require that you run a cable from your router to the player. To my knowledge, there are only two models of Samsung Blu-ray players that have the option of using a wireless connection.

If you are looking to stream Netflix wirelessly, the Roku DVP is by far the best value.
Ever dream of controlling your Roku player through a series of tubes? Now you can!