Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

opiate
Topic Author

No Complaints about the ROKU box....

Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:36 pm

But PLEASE - o - PLEASE consider some music channels...
A single channel that within that channel the user can select a specific genre (80's, 70's, Classic Rock, Trance, etc..)
An easy drop to the "ROKU" screen saver would suffice to those concerned about burn in.
Understood that Roku has the soundbridge, but could it be considered that ROKU could throw a bone without the extensive selection their soundbridge has? Would this be difficult??

This is just a HUGE wish for the ROKU. Up to now the ROKU has exceeded any expectation and it is becoming a "one stop shop" for entertainment. For my family, a music channel would put that cherry on top.

Great job to the guys at ROKU!! Keep up the excellent work!!

Cheers!!

Opi

DoomsDay

Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:26 pm

I seriously doubt you will ever see that from them. It would compete with their soundbridge and I doubt they will want to take money away from that. Im not saying it isn't possible, with the sdk kit, someone might come up with a way to do it, but I highly doubt that roku would.

eri3k

Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:17 pm

DoomsDay wrote:
It would compete with their soundbridge and I doubt they will want to take money away from that.

SoundBridge has pretty much been cut loose as a product line:
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... 882#121882

If adding music channels would make the DVP a better value proposition to consumers (thereby increasing sales), I don't think Roku would hesitate to cannibalize the market of a product that has never made money for them.
Ever dream of controlling your Roku player through a series of tubes? Now you can!

DoomsDay

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:18 am

eri3k wrote:
DoomsDay wrote:
It would compete with their soundbridge and I doubt they will want to take money away from that.

SoundBridge has pretty much been cut loose as a product line:
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... 882#121882

If adding music channels would make the DVP a better value proposition to consumers (thereby increasing sales), I don't think Roku would hesitate to cannibalize the market of a product that has never made money for them.

Interesting thread. Shame about the soundbridge being discontinued. However, with that being said, I still dont see it happening. Heck, the box CAN do 1080 but they still wont fix it so that the nice (huge thread on this board alone) people that can't view 720p can get HD. I feel like the guy that started that thread on the soundbridge. We still have not gotten any response... hey, maybe the DVP is going to be discontinued to....

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:11 am

All I gotta say is that if the Roku DVP gets discontinued, so goes the life of a modern electronic device. The average technology lifespan for something like the Roku is 3 years, and then there's usually an upgrade in store. Look at Apple- they release a new iPod once or twice a year, and within 2 years, you've forgotten what they did in the past.

The DVP/Netflix Player (or whatever you'd like to call it) is going to be 2 years old next year, and I'm sure a new Roku box will be introduced by then. As the new box will be faster and fuller-featured, more people will eventually migrate to it if it's a better product.

This is probably the reason why Roku isn't updating the core "workings" of the player, and instead focusing on adding 3rd party channels that will probably be compatible with their new DVP when it comes out.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

kc8pql

Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:03 am

Given that these boxes were selling at an average of over 45,000 units a month for the first six months after introduction, I doubt it will be discontinued any time soon. I haven't see any total figures lately, but judging from the constant stream of newcomers on the forum, it doesn't seem to have slowed any.

jeffrok

Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:33 am

No, but I'm sure that in a year or two, a new Roku DVP box will co-exist with the N1000 box.. Just as the Nintendo and Super Nintendo co-existed, and the Playstation and PS2 did, and so on..

The success of the first one will make people want the second one, which is why they're probably a little slow/neglecting to implement certain features in the N1000. Why enable 1080i on the N1000, when the (fictional) N2000 can do 1080p?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

eri3k

Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:59 am

jeffrok wrote:
No, but I'm sure that in a year or two, a new Roku DVP box will co-exist with the N1000 box.. Just as the Nintendo and Super Nintendo co-existed, and the Playstation and PS2 did, and so on...

So you're saying that the next version of the Roku Player will work with my Game Genie? Sweet! I'm going to go dig it out of storage right now...
Ever dream of controlling your Roku player through a series of tubes? Now you can!

jeffrok

Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:03 pm

Not only Game Genie, but also the ability to play games with full-motion video and audio clips. It's gonna be pretty awesome. :o
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

eri3k

Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:10 pm

Ah, yes. I seem to recall that they released some pictures of the new version.

billc124

Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:15 pm

eri3k wrote:

So, obviously, the new model will be the N2600 right?

chrisakavern

Re: No Complaints about the ROKU box....

Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:55 pm

opiate wrote:
But PLEASE - o - PLEASE consider some music channels...
A single channel that within that channel the user can select a specific genre (80's, 70's, Classic Rock, Trance, etc..)
An easy drop to the "ROKU" screen saver would suffice to those concerned about burn in.

Maybe they should work out a deal with www.977music.com and create a "977music channel", they already stream on the internet and have an entire selection of channels. I am sure that they would be up for it!!

ProdigiousJuggalo

Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:07 pm

billc124 wrote:
eri3k wrote:

So, obviously, the new model will be the N2600 right?

Awesome pic!

I can't wait to get one of these! :wink:

Yup,
Prodigious Juggalo

mkiker2089

Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:22 pm

Where did the wood grain roku come from? It reminds me so much of my old Atari that I suddenly feel compelled to get one.

jeffrok

Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:30 pm

Mkiker-

Photoshop?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.