Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Lady_756
Topic Author

Won't scan network

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:20 am

I unhooked my Roku yesterday after moving in a new tv into my bedroom. Now the Roku refuses to scan for networks. I reset the Roku, reset my router and nothing works. I pick wireless and it briefly flashes scan networks but the screen remains blank even though my wireless network is available.

Can anyone help?

bzo

Same problem

Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:56 pm

I'm getting the same problem here. Only thing to add is that we had a power outage today. Didn't fry the Roku (or any other electronics in the house), but when I went to set it up again I just get the blank screen when it should be scanning for wireless networks.

Tried rebooting the Roku via software, via power cycle, and via reset button. Same results. Tried fiddling with wifi settings (removing all security, trying different security, etc). Same result. In the past the Roku has picked up several of our neighbors wifi networks as well; now it doesn't display anything on that screen.

The wired network screen seems to work fine, but I don't have a network cable long enough to consummate the testing. May be my only remaining option, though.

phledd

Roku wireless setup window is blank

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:36 pm

I have the exact same problem; there was a power cut to the house and the power was off for about 24 hours. Everything (imac, macbook pro, printer, router, airport) have all come back online and are functioning normally, but the roku can't find the wireless signal. I reset everything, but when I came to the wireless setup screen, there was NOTHING; the row of selections that should be there was blank. I've
1) turned everything off and back on in the right sequence (router, airport, computer then the peripherals; printer, roku) and I've
2) performed the factory reset that the ROKU help desk suggested (40 seconds; unplugged 10 seconds) it has absolutely NO effect.

seahorsejl

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:40 pm

Just a simple suggestion, are you all sure your wireless router is set to broadcast it's SSID? Some people (like me) turn this off to prevent other people from easily seeing my wireless network. So in my case, I need to manually enter the SSID of my network into the Roku configuration screen.

phledd

still no luck

Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestion; I took a look at the Mac Address Access Control in my Airport Utility; it was not set to restrict control in any way.

Now where is this Roku configuration screen you mentioned? I can't get to any sort of configuration screen on the box, because the wireless network is blank (that's the first step in setting up the roku box).

bingo

Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:55 pm

This happened to me also but putting a check mark in the "allow broadcast ssid" box on my router and then doing a reboot allowed the roku to once again see my wireless network. You should then be able to manually type in your ssid on the roku and any incryption that you use. It worked for me.

kimlerj

Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:34 pm

Any answers to this? Mine is doing the same thing. I move it and now it doesn't work. It briefly shows the "scanning networks" but then just goes blank. Doesn't even show the "not shown"
I contacted their help but they just said to do the reboot thing. Didn't help.

TITNTUFF

Not scanning wireless network

Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:55 am

We had a power outage for a few minutes, all my devices came back up and ran wirelessly except the Roku.
I have powered off, reset, and tried to resetup the Roku. It refuses to see my wireless network or my neighbors. It usually shows three area networks but isn't showing any.
When I try to setup the connection and choose wireless, the screen to select my network doesn't show any networks, nor does it show the notwork not visible choice.
If I run a wired connection it will play movies.
Does anyone know how to test the wireless transmitter/receiver?
I am thinking the recent firmware update might be the problem, but no new updates are available.

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:35 am

Your router needs to be set to broadcast SSID

TITNTUFF

Router Setup

Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:56 am

My router is set to show SSID, with mac address filtered.
The Roku mac address is in the router.
But the Roku doesn't show my router, or any others in the neighborhood which are visible. Also, the setup screen where I should choose my network, or choose network not shown is blank, except for the explanation at the bottom. It is as if the wireless network side has been disabled.

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:00 am

Yeah, doesn't sound good. Make sure to turn off any firewall in the router. Other than that, I am out of ideas.

TITNTUFF

Thanks

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:10 am

Well, Thanks for the replies.
If you come up with other thoughts let us know. I'll keep trying and post results as they happen.

robertm

Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:10 pm

Try moving the roku box as far as possible from the TV, other electronics and anything with a motor in it then try again.

alexthegrey

sending a replacement

Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:29 pm

I'm having the same problem. I disconnected my Roku after I got my Netflix disk for my PS3, only to get the message days later that they added more channels to the Roku. I tried to reconnect my Roku and it wouldn't scan/recognize any networks (my laptop, iphone, PS3, PSP all get the signal plus my neighbors signals). Sometimes it would flash the scanning networks for a half second, then disappear. After spending an hour with support, changing wireless router settings, resetting the Roku player and moving it closer to my router, nothing worked. They told me it was defective and told me to send it in for a replacement. By the way, worked fine when I used a wired connection.

TITNTUFF

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:40 am

How many of the people with problems had recently updated the firmware?
How many of the people with problems had the problem after the Roku was powered down after the upgrade, instead of after a reset?
I am thinking the firmware update and then a power off and power on cycle is knocking out the wireless side.
my .02
Other devices with firmware updates have had side effects not anticipated by the programmers. Maybe a fix could be found.