Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

markwill
Topic Author

Multiple accounts for Pandora (any channel, in fact).

Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:00 pm

I don't have my Roku HD-XR (got lucky with the $65 deal so it's on its way) and haven't located anything to answer this in these forums...

Does the Pandara support on the Roku support multiple accounts? For example, when I navigate to the Pandora "channel" can the Ruku prompt me for which account I want to use and hence which stations/playlists to use?

Extrapolating a little, what about other channels - does the Roku generally support multiple accounts, to allow for personalisation?

The best solution that springs to mind is - optionally - when I start up the Roku I select one of several offered "profiles", each associated with the credentials for the carious channels.

Anyway, interested to know if this multiple account scenario (which seems pretty common to me) is well supported by the Roku HD-XR.

Thanks.

Mark

markwill
Topic Author

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:36 pm

Anyone? Does the device support more than one registered account per channel?

Thanks.

Mark

KennyJ

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:39 pm

Currently the only channel that supports multiple accounts is Mediafly.

markwill
Topic Author

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:52 pm

KennyJ wrote:

Thanks Kenny. That's a real drag. I would have thought that having multiple accounts for, say, Pandora within a household is a pretty common scenario so I hope that this is something that Roku can consider in future upgrades.

Thanks.

Mark

KennyJ

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:54 pm

markwill wrote:
KennyJ wrote:

Thanks Kenny. That's a real drag. I would have thought that having multiple accounts for, say, Pandora within a household is a pretty common scenario so I hope that this is something that Roku can consider in future upgrades.

Thanks.

Mark

I certainly think it's possible to do. I actually find it more annoying that Facebook doesn't have it.

These channels will almost certainly be updated -- and they can update the channels without needing to push out a firmware upgrade, so we may see some enhancements in the future.

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:54 pm

You can put multiple stations in Pandora, so it can be customized that way. You just have to have one account, with a station for each user.

KennyJ

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:57 pm

philsoft wrote:
You can put multiple stations in Pandora, so it can be customized that way. You just have to have one account, with a station for each user.

That's a fine solution for new users -- but not for families where each person has already built and refined their stations over time on separate accounts.

Luckily my wife always just shared my account, so it's not a big deal for us.

markwill
Topic Author

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:59 pm

philsoft wrote:

Thank you. I may be missing something (my experience of Pandora spans to a whopping 3 days :-)).

My family and I each have one account each for Pandora. For each, we have multiple stations. So, for example, I have five or six stations associated with my own account and my kids have their own set of stations too.

Is the proposal that we might have one station per person? Although I can see how that works this seems to bypass many of the personalisation benefits of Pandora stations, bookmarks, etc.

As I say, unless I am missing something...

Thanks.

Mark

philsoft

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:59 pm

KennyJ wrote:
philsoft wrote:

That's a fine solution for new users -- but not for families where each person has already built and refined their stations over time on separate accounts.

Luckily my wife always just shared my account, so it's not a big deal for us.

Yeah, I sympathize, but for now it is the only real alternative.

philsoft

Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:01 pm

markwill wrote:
philsoft wrote:

Thank you. I may be missing something (my experience of Pandora spans to a whopping 3 days :-)).

My family and I each have one account each for Pandora. For each, we have multiple stations. So, for example, I have five or six stations associated with my own account and my kids have their own set of stations too.

Is the proposal that we might have one station per person? Although I can see how that works this seems to bypass many of the personalisation benefits of Pandora stations, bookmarks, etc.

As I say, unless I am missing something...

Thanks.

Mark

I'm not sure what the max number of stations would be.

markwill
Topic Author

Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:10 pm

Thanks. I guess my point is that it would "work" - but it's not at all optimum and I hope that Roku considers true support for multiple accounts. The issues would seem to extend beyond just support for a significant number of channels - Pandora has bookmarks, records my likes/dislikes and generally just builds up a personalized set of characteristics for the music I like. Sharing a single "family" account negates all this functionality.

Without having experienced the Roku box yet (on its way) the preferred UI would be to be prompted for a profile to use (if more than one exists) and have each profile be accociated with a set of accounts (for each of channels). Thus, when I turn on the Roku I might see "Mark" as one of the profiles and, on selecting that, my Pandora account (and those for other accounts) are used when I navigate to channels.

Thanks.

Mark

KennyJ

Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:12 pm

Mark,

I agree... Give it time, I think we'll see these channels updated as time goes by (hopefully).

philsoft

Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:15 pm

markwill wrote:
Thanks. I guess my point is that it would "work" - but it's not at all optimum and I hope that Roku considers true support for multiple accounts. The issues would seem to extend beyond just support for a significant number of channels - Pandora has bookmarks, records my likes/dislikes and generally just builds up a personalized set of characteristics for the music I like. Sharing a single "family" account negates all this functionality.

Without having experienced the Roku box yet (on its way) the preferred UI would be to be prompted for a profile to use (if more than one exists) and have each profile be accociated with a set of accounts (for each of channels). Thus, when I turn on the Roku I might see "Mark" as one of the profiles and, on selecting that, my Pandora account (and those for other accounts) are used when I navigate to channels.

Thanks.

Mark

That sounds like something they might require a paid account for, if they ever implement it.

markwill
Topic Author

Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:19 pm

KennyJ wrote:
Mark,

I agree... Give it time, I think we'll see these channels updated as time goes by (hopefully).

Thanks Kenny. Just to clarify, the solution I am proposing seems to be independent of any channel - the authentication with the channel would be unchanged, with the "profiles" being a Roku-specific feature way to look up which credentials should be used.

Thanks.

Mark

RokuJulia

Multiple accounts for a channel

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi Folks,

You are correct. Right now there is only suppot for one Pandora Channel at a time and it can only be associated with one Pandora account on your Roku player. We understand that there will be several channels for which a household would have multiple accounts and like easy access to those accounts. We are definitely thinking about how we can best address this and hope to do that sometime in the future. Thanks for your ideas.