Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

wideasleep1

Re: Multiple accounts for a channel

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:43 pm

RokuJulia wrote:
Hi Folks,

You are correct. Right now there is only suppot for one Pandora Channel at a time and it can only be associated with one Pandora account on your Roku player. We understand that there will be several channels for which a household would have multiple accounts and like easy access to those accounts. We are definitely thinking about how we can best address this and hope to do that sometime in the future. Thanks for your ideas.

As has been suggested, a log-in page with pre-defined users (set up in advance) would be my preferred method. Pandora could remain logged in to the last user's account (as some users are much more frequently logged in than others), but easily swappable to another user with a few quick button presses. Would this primarily be a Roku task, or a Pandora task? Thanks for posting, Julia! :)
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

markwill
Topic Author

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:48 pm

wideasleep1 wrote:
As has been suggested, a log-in page with pre-defined users (set up in advance) would be my preferred method. Pandora could remain logged in to the last user's account (as some users are much more frequently logged in than others), but easily swappable to another user with a few quick button presses. Would this primarily be a Roku task, or a Pandora task? Thanks for posting, Julia! :)

I would much prefer to see this implemented as a Roku concept. This way, once I have created my profile and entered the accounts for the various channels I never have to think about it again, assuming I select my profile on startup (esoecially if, as you say, it remembers the last profile used). If I am the primary (most frequent) user then I'll just turn it on and be done. If one if my kids comes along and wants to use it then they just select some "Change profiile"-like feature and they get all their own accounts across the various channels.

If this is all done at the Pandora level then all that "complexity" has to be mirrored across all channels, which seems more cumbersome.

Two cents (and thanks for listening Roku).

Thanks.

Mark

wideasleep1

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:57 pm

markwill wrote:
wideasleep1 wrote:

I would much prefer to see this implemented as a Roku concept. This way, once I have created my profile and entered the accounts for the various channels I never have to think about it again, assuming I select my profile on startup (esoecially if, as you say, it remembers the last profile used). If I am the primary (most frequent) user then I'll just turn it on and be done. If one if my kids comes along and wants to use it then they just select some "Change profiile"-like feature and they get all their own accounts across the various channels.

If this is all done at the Pandora level then all that "complexity" has to be mirrored across all channels, which seems more cumbersome.

Two cents (and thanks for listening Roku).

Thanks.

Mark

Yep, I think we're on the same page, so to speak. I was just curious who is burdened with the GUI task, and if it would benefit us to go to the Pandora fora to seek our changes. Tim and crew over there are quite responsive, but I'd hate to trouble them if it's really Roku's thing. :)
Then as it was, then again it will be

An' though the course may change sometimes,

rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

markwill
Topic Author

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:35 pm

I received my HD-XR today (thanks Roku!). Very nice.

I set up Pandora and the first comment from my family was "That's great, but I want to listen to my stuff". So, they are stuck with mine - for now - but the multiple account feature discussed on this thread would make a world of difference...

Thanks.

Mark

jpinsl

Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:00 pm

On the Pandora setup page on the Roku, there's a "generate another code" option. Could you use that to re-associate Roku with a difference Pandora account? I don't have multiple accounts so I can't test it.

Clunky, but might work until an update arrives.

EHLOVader

Re: Multiple accounts for Pandora (any channel, in fact).

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:38 pm

I may have found a solution for you Pandora Listeners who have since been fighting with the rest of your family over who gets the rights to the Roku.

For any Roku developers that may be listening, this is by no means a reason to stop any pending or future development of this channel, I would still very much like to see it become more than it is

HINT :wink: HINT :wink: HINT :wink: HINT wrote:
  • Browse stations without stopping music
  • View and vote on past played songs
  • Multiple accounts and fast switching
  • Browsing other accounts
  • Sharing and searching stations

So here it is, multiple users' stations on one Pandora account for Roku.

1. First create an account at Pandora which is not associated with anyone, just for use in the Roku.
  2. Go to your profile, of the NEW account. On their site too, not in the player.
    ( an address like this http://www.pandora.com/people/[pandora username] )
  3. Select from the Share drop down 'Find a shared station'.
  4. In the search box type in the REAL account's email address. ( I think username might work here too )
  5. Pick the stations you would like to see listed on the Roku.
    Tip: wrote:
    If you haven't already make a single station with all of the artists you like (See Pandora FAQ about Adding variety), or play your QuickMix from that channel to add a mix of your stations (as configured on the other REAL account). It will appear in the list on Roku as "[Profile Name]'s QuickMix"
  6. Now pair your Roku with this NEW account, if you hadn't already to see your various account's stations all side by side in perfect harmony.

Limitations & Perks:
  • No voting, you don't get to vote on these shared stations, but all you really wanted to do was listen anyway right?
  • If you had free accounts, the play time on the Roku shouldn't count against your 40 hours a month. (But on this one account you will still only have 40 hours) Removed once I found out Roku has none 8)
  • If you all have a Lady Gaga radio station, and you all add it, they will become indiscernible from each other. Try renaming your stations to something a bit more unique. Don't worry it is ok to be different.
  • If you added QuickMix's they will update their configuration to match what it currently is back in your REAL account.
  • Station names won't change to match your REAL account's name. You also can't change station names, if you are viewing them as shared.

Hope this helps, and holds you over until Roku starts making their stations as advanced as the independent developers have :cough:Mediafly:cough:cough:

electromage

Re: Multiple accounts for Pandora (any channel, in fact).

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:49 pm

Alright, seriously guys? Over a year later, and I can't change my Pandora account without a FACTORY RESET? That's ridiculous... it's a trivial process on my PC, and Blackberry and Android phones... why is it so difficult here? I set this device up with my account for a demo, and now my mom has her own Pandora account that she wants to link. So I have to reset the device, re-register it, re-add all of the custom channels, re-link the subscription-based channels...

How about making Pandora forget it's linked account when you remove it and re-add it? I think that's un-necessary, but it should at least be easy to implement... anyone?