Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
DeftOne
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:25 am

dellsweig wrote:
Have not seen the latest version so this point may be mute but

Are there separate base folders/paths for music and video (and photos?)

No, there aren't. I just re-arranged the folders/files on my hard-drive to separate things out for the time-being.

\Media\Music\<Artist>\<Album>\<Song>
\Media\Video\<Movie>

So, in this setup \Media is the base directory I used in the config.

Doesn't really matter to me if el.wubo adds another directory in the config for video and/or photos. I can just re-arrange the folders/files on my computer to compensate.
 
dellsweig
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:29 am

DeftOne wrote:
dellsweig wrote:
Have not seen the latest version so this point may be mute but

Are there separate base folders/paths for music and video (and photos?)

No, there aren't. I just re-arranged the folders/files on my hard-drive to separate things out for the time-being.

\Media\Music\<Artist>\<Album>\<Song>
\Media\Video\<Movie>

So, in this setup \Media is the base directory I used in the config.

Doesn't really matter to me if el.wubo adds another directory in the config for video and/or photos. I can just re-arrange the folders/files on my computer to compensate.


Personally I would rather have different base folders as my different media types are on different drives on my file server.
 
DeftOne
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:32 am

dellsweig wrote:
Personally I would rather have different base folders as my different media types are on different drives on my file server.

Good point. I never thought of that scenario, since I've got all my media on one drive. Different base directories for each media type would give the most flexibility, for sure.
 
scrager
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:31 am

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:36 am

I'm not trying to speak for wubo, but I see some problems with a shuffle method.

This channel is designed to be incredibly simple. Basically you tell the server a directory you want to look at, the server gives the roku a list from the current directory. You select a file to play and it plays. With music, files play sequentially.

A shuffle feature will require either
A) Server reads multiple directories to get a list of all files, randomizes them, sends list to roku.
B) database that maintains list of all files that can be queried and return a random order list.

A will cause a heavy load on the server and will not scale well at all.
B will be more complex and require more setup and some way to maintain the database. B would probably not be suitable for mass distribution in the way that this simple channel is.

For those looking for a search feature, you'll have the same sort of complexities. There is no central list of media to search on, so search will either require a database (complex) or require a lot of local reads (not scalable).

Playlists would probably be a little simpler. You could define a file format to point to media you want in the list. The server can then read that file and generate a list of the media in it. This would probably be easier to do than shuffle or search, but it is also more complex than the simple directory structure that this channel is reading.


I have some ideas for a more complex channel/server combination, and I will probably start down that path, but I don't think it will be distributable to the masses due to the server setup and maintenance required.
 
hammerpocket
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:43 pm

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:06 pm

Just an FYI: I don't know how many people are aware that most -- if not all -- YouTube videos are available in h264-encoded mp4 files. (That's how devices without Flash, like the iPhone, are able to access YouTube.) There is an extension for Firefox called Download Helper (there may be others) that make it easy to download the mp4 file from a YouTube page. If you simply change the file extension to m4v, these files will play nicely through the Roku using this My Music/My Media app.
 
canaws
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:45 pm

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:26 pm

For el.wubo...

1. You are awesome for this!

2. Would flac support be hard to implement?

Thanks
Roku 3 (4230X) / 42" Sharp LED 1080p HDTV / RadioShack Amplified Indoor Antenna
Roku SE (2710X) / 25" Sharp SDTV / GE Indoor Antenna
ATT Uverse 18.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG589 Gateway
 
scrager
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:31 am

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:37 pm

flac would be virtually impossible since the Roku developers would have to implement it on the Roku. Roku has a limited set of file formats that it can play.

Another option would be to transcode your flac in to MP3. Again, very difficult and possibly beyond the scope of this simple channel.
 
srankin
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:53 am

5.1 Audio

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:41 pm

FYI

Handbrake's AC3 Passthru for 5.1 Dolby Digital surround plays on the roku just fine.

cheers,

Sam
 
canaws
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:45 pm

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:52 pm

scrager wrote:
flac would be virtually impossible since the Roku developers would have to implement it on the Roku. Roku has a limited set of file formats that it can play.

Another option would be to transcode your flac in to MP3. Again, very difficult and possibly beyond the scope of this simple channel.


Gotcha. Thanks!
Roku 3 (4230X) / 42" Sharp LED 1080p HDTV / RadioShack Amplified Indoor Antenna
Roku SE (2710X) / 25" Sharp SDTV / GE Indoor Antenna
ATT Uverse 18.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG589 Gateway
 
el.wubo
Topic Author
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:54 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:10 pm

canaws and scroger:

In general, the challenge with supporting formats other than what the Roku supports natively isn't the conversion itself (there are great utilities and libraries for this) -- it's finding a way to do the conversion on all our supported platforms and using utilities that people are likely already have. I'm trying to keep the number of required downloads to a minimum so installation can stay easy. That said: Most of my music is flac so I have a lot of motivation to support this feature on at least linux at some point.

srankin:

Cool! Does that rule out that theory as being the cause of rebuffering problems? I haven't heard any video rebuffering issues reported with My Music but that's been a common complaint with video experiments on some of the other forum threads.

scrager:

My plan for implementing shuffle on the server side is to write a random walk directory traversal algorithm that prunes entire directories from the search as early as possible. With some tweaking, I think this can give something close to a uniform distribution of song selections in something approximating O(n) where n is the size of the shuffled-playlist and not the size of the collection. Obviously the shape of the directory tree will influence the time complexity of a random walk but I think it will work well for a typical music layout.

DeftOne and Dellsweig:

The player will support separate music and video directories with a top level menu for selecting between the two. However, if the thing you find in the "music directory" happens to be a video, the player will still play it as a video... I see no value in punishing people for putting the wrong file type in their music directory.

dellsweig:

No progress on the deeply nested MP3 problem. I'll get you a version soon with some more debugging output so we can try to troubleshoot the problem. Has anyone else experienced this?


Thanks all!
 
ashes00
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:32 pm

el.wubo - Does your coding specify require that the last folder on the music directory (that is set in server config) be called music? (see example below)
Example: \\192.168.1.12\ash\Media\Music

I ask becuase I have tried with just media (see example below), and I cant play the music files.
Example: \\192.168.1.12\ash\Media

Thought I would ask becuase it seems to affecting my music playback. I have changed everyhing back to \\192.168.1.12\ash\Media\Music ,and its working again.

All - Is this an isolated issue or are there others that see same issue?

Thanks,
- Ash
 
el.wubo
Topic Author
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:54 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:16 pm

ash:

Nope. Nothing about the server or client code assumes the word "Music" will be in your music directory. I'm surprised that you're seeing this.

I'm also surprised to see that network share paths (eg \\hostname\share) work at all! That's cool. You might try mapping the share to a drive letter and using that...
 
ashes00
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:34 pm

el.wubo. Thanks for the quick responce. I am going to wipe everything, and start fresh with your most recent source code, and remove installed app from Ruko DVP, and reboot it. Hopefully i can get a good test bed to work from, and to try to recreate the issues while identifiying the variables.

In regards to \\hostname\share
Ya i was stoaked to see that it worked out. NOTE: to anyone trying this setup a remote share (NAS) as a "Mapped Drive", this will cause some lag on the computer everything "my comnputer" is clicked. This is becuase it has to fecth data from the remote storage device everytime. I try to avoid this when using slower bottom end NAS devices. All you should do is make sure that you "Server" A.K.A your desktop has full access to the remote share. When the roku player pulls the data, its actually the server that is pulling the data from the NAS, and then sending it to the Roku. Its kind of a lot of data to be moving around on a 54MB wifi connection but it works.

e.wubo- Keep you the great work sir!
 
renojim
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3490
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: Re:

Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:54 pm

dellsweig wrote:
Personally I would rather have different base folders as my different media types are on different drives on my file server.


If you're on a Windows machine, you can use a juction (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx) to span drives. For example, in your Music folder you could use the following command:
junction Movies x:\SomePath\Movies
You'll see the "Movies" folder displayed in the mymusic channel.

-JT
 
dellsweig
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:00 am

el.wubo wrote:
canaws and scroger:

In general, the challenge with supporting formats other than what the Roku supports natively isn't the conversion itself (there are great utilities and libraries for this) -- it's finding a way to do the conversion on all our supported platforms and using utilities that people are likely already have. I'm trying to keep the number of required downloads to a minimum so installation can stay easy. That said: Most of my music is flac so I have a lot of motivation to support this feature on at least linux at some point.

srankin:

Cool! Does that rule out that theory as being the cause of rebuffering problems? I haven't heard any video rebuffering issues reported with My Music but that's been a common complaint with video experiments on some of the other forum threads.

scrager:

My plan for implementing shuffle on the server side is to write a random walk directory traversal algorithm that prunes entire directories from the search as early as possible. With some tweaking, I think this can give something close to a uniform distribution of song selections in something approximating O(n) where n is the size of the shuffled-playlist and not the size of the collection. Obviously the shape of the directory tree will influence the time complexity of a random walk but I think it will work well for a typical music layout.

DeftOne and Dellsweig:

The player will support separate music and video directories with a top level menu for selecting between the two. However, if the thing you find in the "music directory" happens to be a video, the player will still play it as a video... I see no value in punishing people for putting the wrong file type in their music directory.

dellsweig:

No progress on the deeply nested MP3 problem. I'll get you a version soon with some more debugging output so we can try to troubleshoot the problem. Has anyone else experienced this?


Thanks all!



ElWubo

Thanks for all your help.
Going where the wind don't blow so strange

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Heyitsrick, twiceover and 17 guests