Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
el.wubo
Topic Author
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:54 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:56 pm

mkolby wrote:
Been playing around with this a bit, and so far I really like what I'm seeing. Regarding the album art, the current method works great for music albums, but is there a way we can create album art with the same file name as the title, but with different extensions, and have that show as the default thumbnail image for that title (GI-JOE.m4v and GI_JOE.jpg)? This is the way I have my collection for XBMC. I really appreciate all your hard work on this project, it's great to finally be able to stream my local content.


Great idea! Sure. We can support that. Hopefully we can work that in to the next release.
 
canaws
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:56 pm

For el.wubo...

1. Still awesome! It's been my most used channel since I added it.

2. Feature request: pause function for the music.
There's pausing for the video, but not the music. Right now, the only option I have to stop the music is to completely exit the channel. :(

3. Bug? Sometimes when I push the up button from within a folder it will take me all the way to the home/channel menu for a second, but it pops back into the appropriate mymusic channel by itself.

ETA:
4. Personally, I was a little confused by the installation instructions. I did fine with getting python and putting the box into developer mode, but I'd never downloaded anything from github before. It took me a minute to figure out how to get the files! It might be a good idea to add a line about downloading & unzipping the roku_media_server files from the 'download source' link to your instructions for the more computer illiterate among us. =)

Thanks again!
Roku 3 (4230X) / 42" Sharp LED 1080p HDTV / RadioShack Amplified Indoor Antenna
Roku SE (2710X) / 25" Sharp SDTV / GE Indoor Antenna
ATT Uverse 18.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG589 Gateway
 
calicommando
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:18 pm

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:17 pm

canaws wrote:
4. Personally, I was a little confused by the installation instructions. I did fine with getting python and putting the box into developer mode, but I'd never downloaded anything from github before. It took me a minute to figure out how to get the files! It might be a good idea to add a line about downloading & unzipping the roku_media_server files from the 'download source' link to your instructions for the more computer illiterate among us. =)


+1

I actually had trouble with that too.
 
renojim
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3490
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:03 am

Me too, and I doubt you could find anyone who would consider me compute illiterate. :D

-JT
 
el.wubo
Topic Author
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:54 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:07 am

Agreed.

As a short term solution I've updated this thread's first post with a direct download link.

Long term we really need to start establishing a friendly "new users" web presence. A simple site with the README, direct download link, and links back here for troubleshooting help would perhaps be less intimidating than the github page. Anyone have a burning desire to churn out said page? I have webspace ready to go.
 
umbighouse
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:30 am

I'm happy to help tackle this. I can offer the following:
- Help with presentation of items to make it easier/more intuitive for the new user.
- Help with the install and other documentation.

I'm afraid I won't be much help in coding something like the web interface GUI, but I do have some suggestions as far as layout & structure of that, if it continues to be used.

Overall, I guess what I'm offering is help "prettying up the pig" to make it easier from the perspective of a new user.

If you want to go overboard, since it appears that's where we're headed, we could use your web space and I could setup a simple web site for this channel.

Has anyone now realized that there's no such thing as a simple media player?! :D
 
lmorsi
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:30 am

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:18 am

I got this working in about 45 minutes, even with 2 toddlers tackling me periodically.

In case anyone is interested, here are the hitches I encountered:

1. Figuring out what to download from github. Eventually I saw the "Download Source" up at the top, but it took me a lot of puzzling around first.

2. Installing the channel to ROKU didn't seem to work as described (because I had the roku's ip in the server ip box I later realized). I ended up using the SDK web interface to upload the zip, which installed the channel.

3. After installing, I had a problem of endless "Retrieving . . ." I waited *patiently* then started tinkering. This was when I discovered that I had the ROKU IP in the Server spot, and in the Roku spot, I still had "ROKU IP ADDRESS". Yeah, I felt stupid. Maybe I am. But a little more detail in the "Set all configuration variables in the tool" section would have helped slow-learners like myself. When I see a configuration screen that is pre-filled, I tend to wonder what should be left as is try to only change what the instructions say to change.

Overall, super cool. Thanks - this has made the little black box I love at least 60% more loved. That's huge.
 
renojim
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3490
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Cause of and solution to rebuffering problem

Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:41 am

If you're one of the people that's noticed that after a video plays for an hour or so you start to get rebuffering that happens more and more frequently as time goes on, I think I'm on to something. For me at least, it doesn't happen with all videos. What I noticed with the videos it does happen on is that my network traffic slows as time goes on until the transfer rate is too slow to support playback.

By the way, are there people that are observing this with a server running on different operating systems? My server is running on Windows 7, although I believe I tried it on XP as well and have the same issue. I don't believe it's an OS problem, but I'd like to hear from people running on Linux or OSX.

If your server is running on Windows and you want to observe the problem for yourself, start taskmgr and click on the Networking tab to get the pretty graph of network traffic. Start up a known problem video and notice the transfer rate at the beginning of the video. Then fast forward to an hour or so into the video and take a look at the transfer rate. For me, it seems to slow to a trickle. On a video without the problem, if you look at the network traffic it will burst at a maximum rate for a short period of time and then drop to zero for a short period and then repeat. That's what I'd expect to see. The problem videos show constant network traffic that starts at about the maximum rate and slowly decays over time.

So what's the solution? I wouldn't call it a solution as much as a workaround. I noticed that the videos with the problem are encoded at a frame rate other than 29.97 fps. I re-encoded a problem video to have a frame rate of 29.97 fps and it plays fine. I use HandBrake and the command is:
HandBreakCLI -i problemvid -o FixedVid.m4v -O -r 29.97

Hopefully someone from Roku can let us know what the real problem is, but give this workaround a try and see how it goes.

-JT
 
srankin
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:53 am

Re: 5.1 Audio

Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:48 am

I had posted earlier that the AC3 passthru settings (handbrake) work to get 5.1 audio streaming to roku. Unfortunately, when encoding directly from .vob files (or dvd or iso image) the rebufferring problems are present.

Weirdly enough, converting an xvid with AC3 passthru works fine.

One more odd detail: I have the roku set up with analog (stereo) outputs to my tv and digital optical to my stereo. When playing a converted DVD, the audio routes to both . . . and eventually the file starts rebufferring. When playing a converted xvid, the audio only routes to the digital optical.

I don't know what to make of this, but thought I'd report it.

I was wrong above, encoding from an xvid made the rebuferring start much later in the movies (~100minutes for ~60minutes). But it is still there. I'm going to try the trick above forcing a constant frame rate.
Last edited by srankin on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
hammerpocket
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:21 am

lmorsi wrote:
After installing, I had a problem of endless "Retrieving . . ." I waited *patiently* then started tinkering. This was when I discovered that I had the ROKU IP in the Server spot, and in the Roku spot, I still had "ROKU IP ADDRESS". Yeah, I felt stupid. Maybe I am. But a little more detail in the "Set all configuration variables in the tool" section would have helped slow-learners like myself. When I see a configuration screen that is pre-filled, I tend to wonder what should be left as is try to only change what the instructions say to change.


This brings up something I've been wondering about. The iPhone app "DVPRemote" automatically "discovers" any Roku players on your network. Can this functionality be built in to the springboard configuration? That would be a big step toward user-friendliness.
 
calicommando
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:18 pm

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:41 am

hammerpocket wrote:
lmorsi wrote:
After installing, I had a problem of endless "Retrieving . . ." I waited *patiently* then started tinkering. This was when I discovered that I had the ROKU IP in the Server spot, and in the Roku spot, I still had "ROKU IP ADDRESS". Yeah, I felt stupid. Maybe I am. But a little more detail in the "Set all configuration variables in the tool" section would have helped slow-learners like myself. When I see a configuration screen that is pre-filled, I tend to wonder what should be left as is try to only change what the instructions say to change.


This brings up something I've been wondering about. The iPhone app "DVPRemote" automatically "discovers" any Roku players on your network. Can this functionality be built in to the springboard configuration? That would be a big step toward user-friendliness.


I was wondering about that too.
 
el.wubo
Topic Author
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:54 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:45 am

hammerpocket wrote:
I've been wondering about. The iPhone app "DVPRemote" automatically "discovers" any Roku players on your network. Can this functionality be built in to the springboard configuration? That would be a big step toward user-friendliness.


Yes, springboard could be modified to scan for the Roku. One user contributed a windows script to do this -- I just need to port the concept to python so it can work on all 3 platforms.
 
el.wubo
Topic Author
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:54 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:54 am

New Release!

There are lots of new features so I'll just copy/paste the change log:

Changes

Music and Video directories can be configured independently and no longer need to be combined.

Fixed the partitioning algorithm so that it works with folders starting with numbers and passes through folders starting with special characters.

Merged the partition functionality to mainline so we don’t have to maintain the partition version any longer. The partition branch will no longer be updated.

The players position in a video is saved when the player exits. When the same video is played again the user is given the option of resuming play where they were before.

Completed the name change from MyMusic to MyMedia. Updated artwork, README, and server to reflect this change.

Convert poster view to arced-square. The square layout works much better with album art. Our channel specific artwork that is used when album art is unavailable has been updated to the new format as well.

If an image file is found with the same basename as a video file, the image file is used as the cover art for that video. This strategy takes advantage of the directory structure used by XBMC.
If you have multiple video files and artwork for some of them, one video art file will be chosen at random to be the “album art” for the folder.

Channel error conditions are reported to the user. This should make installation and troubleshooting much simpler.
- If the server cannot be contacted using the IP address given at installation a dialog box is displayed explaining this and the user is given the opportunity to enter their own IP address.
** Technically this feature also gives us the option of distributing as a private channel but we’re going to hold off on that for now because keeping the channel version and the server version synchronized could be difficult if the two are distributed separately.
- If the server returns an empty feed for any directory the channel displays a message to that effect and suggestions for what to check.

The server recognizes both mp4 files and m4v files as video. No need to change your file extensions.
Updated documentation with a better explanation of the configuration options

Contributors for this release

dellsweig: Testing for new folder partitioning support

hoffmcs: Support for recognizing mp4 files as video

renojim: Channel error reporting improvements. Video suspend / resume.

umbighouse: New square artwork and MyMedia logo

Thanks all!

Download your copy

Make sure you stop the server and update your client using springboard.

Most requested features that are on the TODO still

Pause / Resume for music playback

Photo slideshow viewer
 
dellsweig
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:08 am

el.wubo wrote:
New Release!

There are lots of new features so I'll just copy/paste the change log:

Changes

Music and Video directories can be configured independently and no longer need to be combined.

Fixed the partitioning algorithm so that it works with folders starting with numbers and passes through folders starting with special characters.

Merged the partition functionality to mainline so we don’t have to maintain the partition version any longer. The partition branch will no longer be updated.

The players position in a video is saved when the player exits. When the same video is played again the user is given the option of resuming play where they were before.

Completed the name change from MyMusic to MyMedia. Updated artwork, README, and server to reflect this change.

Convert poster view to arced-square. The square layout works much better with album art. Our channel specific artwork that is used when album art is unavailable has been updated to the new format as well.

If an image file is found with the same basename as a video file, the image file is used as the cover art for that video. This strategy takes advantage of the directory structure used by XBMC.
If you have multiple video files and artwork for some of them, one video art file will be chosen at random to be the “album art” for the folder.

Channel error conditions are reported to the user. This should make installation and troubleshooting much simpler.
- If the server cannot be contacted using the IP address given at installation a dialog box is displayed explaining this and the user is given the opportunity to enter their own IP address.
** Technically this feature also gives us the option of distributing as a private channel but we’re going to hold off on that for now because keeping the channel version and the server version synchronized could be difficult if the two are distributed separately.
- If the server returns an empty feed for any directory the channel displays a message to that effect and suggestions for what to check.

The server recognizes both mp4 files and m4v files as video. No need to change your file extensions.
Updated documentation with a better explanation of the configuration options

Contributors for this release

dellsweig: Testing for new folder partitioning support

hoffmcs: Support for recognizing mp4 files as video

renojim: Channel error reporting improvements. Video suspend / resume.

umbighouse: New square artwork and MyMedia logo

Thanks all!

Download your copy

Make sure you stop the server and update your client using springboard.

Most requested features that are on the TODO still

Pause / Resume for music playback

Photo slideshow viewer



Fantastic!!!!!!!!
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
 
dellsweig
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:18 am

el.wubo wrote:
New Release!

There are lots of new features so I'll just copy/paste the change log:

Changes

Music and Video directories can be configured independently and no longer need to be combined.

Fixed the partitioning algorithm so that it works with folders starting with numbers and passes through folders starting with special characters.

Merged the partition functionality to mainline so we don’t have to maintain the partition version any longer. The partition branch will no longer be updated.

The players position in a video is saved when the player exits. When the same video is played again the user is given the option of resuming play where they were before.

Completed the name change from MyMusic to MyMedia. Updated artwork, README, and server to reflect this change.

Convert poster view to arced-square. The square layout works much better with album art. Our channel specific artwork that is used when album art is unavailable has been updated to the new format as well.

If an image file is found with the same basename as a video file, the image file is used as the cover art for that video. This strategy takes advantage of the directory structure used by XBMC.
If you have multiple video files and artwork for some of them, one video art file will be chosen at random to be the “album art” for the folder.

Channel error conditions are reported to the user. This should make installation and troubleshooting much simpler.
- If the server cannot be contacted using the IP address given at installation a dialog box is displayed explaining this and the user is given the opportunity to enter their own IP address.
** Technically this feature also gives us the option of distributing as a private channel but we’re going to hold off on that for now because keeping the channel version and the server version synchronized could be difficult if the two are distributed separately.
- If the server returns an empty feed for any directory the channel displays a message to that effect and suggestions for what to check.

The server recognizes both mp4 files and m4v files as video. No need to change your file extensions.
Updated documentation with a better explanation of the configuration options

Contributors for this release

dellsweig: Testing for new folder partitioning support

hoffmcs: Support for recognizing mp4 files as video

renojim: Channel error reporting improvements. Video suspend / resume.

umbighouse: New square artwork and MyMedia logo

Thanks all!

Download your copy

Make sure you stop the server and update your client using springboard.

Most requested features that are on the TODO still

Pause / Resume for music playback

Photo slideshow viewer



Was not able to get the springboard_debug to run. It opens a window and closes it before I can see whats going on. The normal launcher works just fine
Going where the wind don't blow so strange

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests