Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
dellsweig
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:50 am

cdndave wrote:
dellsweig wrote:
New issue.....

I have two Roku boxes.

When I registered the first - I added the code to the regid line in the config.ini file on my server. This worked fine.

Now I want to run mymedia app on the second Roku box - when launched it gives a new code... Can I add a second regid line to the config or a second code to the existing config entry?

Is it even possible to use two Roku boxes with the app??

Thanks


I had the same issue this weekend. I entered the code of my 2nd (new) box, got that one working, but the 1st (older) roku stopped working...

A reboot of the older roku, a bit of a wait and everything works great now.



Can't say if it was the wait or the reboot that did the magic.

Hope that helps

Dave



Did you enter the second code directly in the config file or the web config utility?
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
 
dellsweig
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:43 am

Ok - finally have both boxes working GREAT with MyMedia... I have the Windows app running as a service on my PC - awsome...

Today I tried to play some iPhone videos saved in my Video path.

First, they play GREAT - excellent quality and sound.

Second - and more important question. Some of the phone videos are 90 or 180 degrees rotated. With still photos I can easily fix this. How does one fix this with Videos??

Finally - ElWubo - How about building something that lets me play my videos/photos/music directly from my iPhone ala AirPlay? Are extensions possible to the python server to allow this??
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
 
el.wubo
Topic Author
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:54 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:50 pm

dellsweig wrote:
Ok - finally have both boxes working GREAT with MyMedia... I have the Windows app running as a service on my PC - awsome...

Great! glad to hear it!

dellsweig wrote:
Today I tried to play some iPhone videos saved in my Video path.

First, they play GREAT - excellent quality and sound.

Second - and more important question. Some of the phone videos are 90 or 180 degrees rotated. With still photos I can easily fix this. How does one fix this with Videos??


I assume handbrake can take care of this. Can anyone confirm?

dellsweig wrote:
Finally - ElWubo - How about building something that lets me play my videos/photos/music directly from my iPhone ala AirPlay? Are extensions possible to the python server to allow this??


See if the experimental web-based music player works on your iphone. While on your home wifi, open your iphone browser and connect to your server's IP address (xx.xx.xx.xx:8001) and select the music player from the list. Anything more elaborate than that will likely require creating an iphone specific native application or leveraging an existing app that speaks an open-enough protocol that we could support it on the server. Neither of those options are things that I can do for you because I don't own an Iphone. Any iphone developers that happen to be on the list are welcome to contribute.
 
Redflea
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:14 pm

I hope this isn't interpreted as heresy on this thread (;-)) but I'm wondering what the key differences are between this channel and Roksbox.

Has anyone tried both, and can you give a comparison of key differences in features/performance (e.g., loading/response speed)?

Thanks!
 
canaws
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:11 am

Redflea wrote:
I hope this isn't interpreted as heresy on this thread (;-)) but I'm wondering what the key differences are between this channel and Roksbox.

Has anyone tried both, and can you give a comparison of key differences in features/performance (e.g., loading/response speed)?

Thanks!


I can't give a comparison since I've never used roksbox, but mymedia is pretty easy to add now. I say just add them both and compare. :wink:

1. Add the channel
2. Go through the channel setup
Requires:
a) installing python & pil (python imaging library) plugin
b) downloading mymedia server
c) telling the server where to find your music/video/pictures
3. Have fun!

It works well for me! Pretty snappy. I use it mostly to listen to my music collection, at least I did until my niece figured out she can get me to put Vampire Diaries and Glee episodes on the MyMedia channel. :lol:
Roku 3 (4230X) / 42" Sharp LED 1080p HDTV / RadioShack Amplified Indoor Antenna
Roku SE (2710X) / 25" Sharp SDTV / GE Indoor Antenna
ATT Uverse 18.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG589 Gateway
 
dellsweig
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:27 am

el.wubo wrote:
dellsweig wrote:
Ok - finally have both boxes working GREAT with MyMedia... I have the Windows app running as a service on my PC - awsome...

Great! glad to hear it!

dellsweig wrote:
Today I tried to play some iPhone videos saved in my Video path.

First, they play GREAT - excellent quality and sound.

Second - and more important question. Some of the phone videos are 90 or 180 degrees rotated. With still photos I can easily fix this. How does one fix this with Videos??


I assume handbrake can take care of this. Can anyone confirm?

dellsweig wrote:
Finally - ElWubo - How about building something that lets me play my videos/photos/music directly from my iPhone ala AirPlay? Are extensions possible to the python server to allow this??


See if the experimental web-based music player works on your iphone. While on your home wifi, open your iphone browser and connect to your server's IP address (xx.xx.xx.xx:8001) and select the music player from the list. Anything more elaborate than that will likely require creating an iphone specific native application or leveraging an existing app that speaks an open-enough protocol that we could support it on the server. Neither of those options are things that I can do for you because I don't own an Iphone. Any iphone developers that happen to be on the list are welcome to contribute.



I can launch the web page from my iPhone and navigate down to an individual album. Nothing plays when I select an album.
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
 
dellsweig
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:01 am

el.wubo wrote:
dellsweig wrote:
Ok - finally have both boxes working GREAT with MyMedia... I have the Windows app running as a service on my PC - awsome...

Great! glad to hear it!

dellsweig wrote:
Today I tried to play some iPhone videos saved in my Video path.

First, they play GREAT - excellent quality and sound.

Second - and more important question. Some of the phone videos are 90 or 180 degrees rotated. With still photos I can easily fix this. How does one fix this with Videos??


I assume handbrake can take care of this. Can anyone confirm?

dellsweig wrote:
Finally - ElWubo - How about building something that lets me play my videos/photos/music directly from my iPhone ala AirPlay? Are extensions possible to the python server to allow this??


See if the experimental web-based music player works on your iphone. While on your home wifi, open your iphone browser and connect to your server's IP address (xx.xx.xx.xx:8001) and select the music player from the list. Anything more elaborate than that will likely require creating an iphone specific native application or leveraging an existing app that speaks an open-enough protocol that we could support it on the server. Neither of those options are things that I can do for you because I don't own an Iphone. Any iphone developers that happen to be on the list are welcome to contribute.



I have some more info on the rotation issue when playing .mov format (iphone video).

The iphone can be held either veritally or horizontally when shooting video.

If I shoot a video with the phone help horizontally, MyMedia plays it correctly.
If I shoot a video with the phone held vertically, MyMedia roates the image 90 degrees to fit the screen aspect ratio.

I can use a tool like mpeg_streamclip to save the file as an mp4 format file - and NOT fix the orientation - it then plays correctly in MyMedia

Is this a bug in the way MyMedia handles .mov files??
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
 
MacAttack103
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:26 am

I can say once again truthfully that this is the most difficult program I have ever tried to set up. The set up directions are incomplete and very vague. The directions should be more concise and a lot more detailed steps need to be added. Hunting through a couple hundred hit or miss suggestions just don't cut it. Roku should put out some very easy and concise directions including all the complete steps. All I find is a four step proccess that is very vague and incomplete. My suggestions to anyone trying to set up the MyChannel on the Roku player would be, DON'T. Get yourself a good Video/TV card and install it in your computer and go that way. This is the best method until Roku decides to put out a very complete and concise set of directions for using there product. It would appear to me that Roku is not the best and most friendly company to give complete instrutions for there product. They are solely lacking in customer support. They expect there clients, you and I to solve all there problems. The Roku player is a great little plug and go box, along as nothing hard or complicated comes along. Then watch out. They (ROKU) need to put out a complete set, probably 25 to 30 easy to use steps and concise directions for setting up this MyMedia channel. I have had and been using and setting up programs on a computer for (11) years. If I can not get it to work correctly think about the (2) year computer operator.
 
DeftOne
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:13 pm

MacAttack103 wrote:
I can say once again truthfully that this is the most difficult program I have ever tried to set up. The set up directions are incomplete and very vague. The directions should be more concise and a lot more detailed steps need to be added. Hunting through a couple hundred hit or miss suggestions just don't cut it. Roku should put out some very easy and concise directions including all the complete steps. All I find is a four step proccess that is very vague and incomplete. My suggestions to anyone trying to set up the MyChannel on the Roku player would be, DON'T. Get yourself a good Video/TV card and install it in your computer and go that way. This is the best method until Roku decides to put out a very complete and concise set of directions for using there product. It would appear to me that Roku is not the best and most friendly company to give complete instrutions for there product. They are solely lacking in customer support. They expect there clients, you and I to solve all there problems. The Roku player is a great little plug and go box, along as nothing hard or complicated comes along. Then watch out. They (ROKU) need to put out a complete set, probably 25 to 30 easy to use steps and concise directions for setting up this MyMedia channel. I have had and been using and setting up programs on a computer for (11) years. If I can not get it to work correctly think about the (2) year computer operator.

Just to clarify -- MyMedia is not a Roku developed channel. It's a private channel developed using the available SDK.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
 
Peter321
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:44 am

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:44 pm

I'm running kubuntu. Everything installed fine but I get Failed to autoconfigure server. You're on your own.
When I type http://localhost:8001/feed it works fine. When I goto another computer I can't connect to the server.
Yet all my computers can see each other.
Can some one point me in the right direction
 
dellsweig
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Peter321 wrote:
I'm running kubuntu. Everything installed fine but I get Failed to autoconfigure server. You're on your own.
When I type http://localhost:8001/feed it works fine. When I goto another computer I can't connect to the server.
Yet all my computers can see each other.
Can some one point me in the right direction




What URL are you typing on the other computer? If you are using your servers ip address it should work. If you use Localhost or 127 it won't work

For example
Http 192.168.1.xxx:8001 will work (xxx is server ip)
Http Localhost:8001 will only work on the server (Localhost)
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
 
Peter321
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:44 am

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:53 pm

dellsweig

As soon as I read your post I knew what I did wrong!
Everything works now, Thank you

Peter
 
dellsweig
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:45 am

dellsweig wrote:
el.wubo wrote:
Ok - finally have both boxes working GREAT with MyMedia... I have the Windows app running as a service on my PC - awsome...

Great! glad to hear it!

dellsweig wrote:
Today I tried to play some iPhone videos saved in my Video path.

First, they play GREAT - excellent quality and sound.

Second - and more important question. Some of the phone videos are 90 or 180 degrees rotated. With still photos I can easily fix this. How does one fix this with Videos??


I assume handbrake can take care of this. Can anyone confirm?

dellsweig wrote:
Finally - ElWubo - How about building something that lets me play my videos/photos/music directly from my iPhone ala AirPlay? Are extensions possible to the python server to allow this??


See if the experimental web-based music player works on your iphone. While on your home wifi, open your iphone browser and connect to your server's IP address (xx.xx.xx.xx:8001) and select the music player from the list. Anything more elaborate than that will likely require creating an iphone specific native application or leveraging an existing app that speaks an open-enough protocol that we could support it on the server. Neither of those options are things that I can do for you because I don't own an Iphone. Any iphone developers that happen to be on the list are welcome to contribute.



Anyone want to chime in on .mov format??

I have some more info on the rotation issue when playing .mov format (iphone video).

The iphone can be held either veritally or horizontally when shooting video.

If I shoot a video with the phone help horizontally, MyMedia plays it correctly.
If I shoot a video with the phone held vertically, MyMedia roates the image 90 degrees to fit the screen aspect ratio.

I can use a tool like mpeg_streamclip to save the file as an mp4 format file - and NOT fix the orientation - it then plays correctly in MyMedia

Is this a bug in the way MyMedia handles .mov files??
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
 
renojim
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3491
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:10 am

There isn't much going on when the file is passed to the video player component. I don't believe there's anyway to tell it to rotate a video and I don't believe there's anything in the video that would indicate that it was rotated. Are you sure MPEG Streamclip isn't rotating the video for you? Have you played it back on a computer to verify that it's still rotated? I'd be interested to see a video that plays back in one orientation on a computer but a different one on the Roku.

-JT
 
dellsweig
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:29 am

renojim wrote:
There isn't much going on when the file is passed to the video player component. I don't believe there's anyway to tell it to rotate a video and I don't believe there's anything in the video that would indicate that it was rotated. Are you sure MPEG Streamclip isn't rotating the video for you? Have you played it back on a computer to verify that it's still rotated? I'd be interested to see a video that plays back in one orientation on a computer but a different one on the Roku.

-JT


I am sure because the orientation when the Mp4 is is played is portrait (or whatever you call it in video land).

When I play the mov file it is rotated in landscape.

When I converted the file from mov to mp4 I kept the orientation.

Its almost like the mov file rotates to fit the disply.

Also when I play the mov in quicktime - it is oriented normally (portrait)

PM me your email and I will send you a .mov that plays fine on computer but rotated on MyMedia
Going where the wind don't blow so strange

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests