Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

bblackmoor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:00 am

As of two weeks ago, I have new problem. Videos do not show as "Watched" anymore. When they get to the end and stop, they just say "Progress".  Like "Progress 43:34:21".

Any idea why?

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:59 pm

What version of firmware (with build number) does your device have? The client looks for the "isFullResult" message from the firmware to indicate the video completed. I wouldn't think Roku would be mucking with the video player anymore since that component has been deprecated, but who knows? Does the progress otherwise make sense?

-JT

bblackmoor

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Software version 9.0.0 build 4114-29, on both of our Rokus (the same issue has appeared on both).

Could it be caused by an update in Ubuntu?

renojim

Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:23 pm

I just updated to build 4142 and guess what? - progress doesn't work properly anymore.  Thanks Roku. grr  My Roku still on build 4084 works just fine.  As I suspected, they're no longer firing the "isFullResult" message so the last playback position received (which should be within 10 seconds of the end of the video) is getting saved as the progress.

Roku announced they wouldn't be adding new features to deprecated components, but I suppose that doesn't preclude them from breaking them.  I'm not even going to bother reporting this since I know I'll get no response.  IF I can still update the channel (which I'm not sure whether or not private channels with deprecated components can still be updated), I'll try to fix it.  I may not get to it for a while since right now I have to take care of the giant shafting I just got from Roku.

Someday I'll recreate this using the new Scene Graph crap, but that's going to be a while off (see above note about giant shafting).  You could edit the resume.xml file to get the "Watched" to appear, but I don't recommend that.

-JT

bblackmoor

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:20 pm

Roku says that class is deprecated. https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... creenEvent

It looks like it has been replaced with roVideoPlayerEvent. https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... layerEvent

renojim

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:11 pm

Yep, but that doesn't mean they should break it. The whole video player and its events has been deprecated, but that only means you shouldn't use it going forward. It's NOT ok to change its behavior!

-JT

bblackmoor

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:22 pm

I'm not defending them. I'm just saying that appears to be the way to fix it. If the code is in Bitbucket or something, and you give me access, I'd be happy to take a look.

renojim

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:44 am

I received information that it will be fixed in the firmware, but no time frame. The code is/was in github, but it's probably (definitely) out of date. Modifying the code is trivial; it's updating the channel that could be a problem. I've got so many experimental versions of the client and server code not to mention multiple private channels that figuring it all out will take some time.

-JT

rmcnts259

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:01 pm

As of this morning,  the correct date is being shown on a watched show and "play all" and "play new" are working again.

bblackmoor

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:26 pm

Yes, I noticed that last night myself. Yay!

renojim

Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:33 pm

That's good to hear! I'm guessing you've been updated to v9.1 of the firmware? I haven't received it yet.

-JT