Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
Bob Coxner
Topic Author
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:35 pm

HBO to Release Streaming Online Content to V'zon FiOS Users

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:27 pm

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-0 ... users.html

Why not to Roku users? We can be verified subscribers as well.
 
jcmolet
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:11 pm
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ

Re: HBO to Release Streaming Online Content to V'zon FiOS Us

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Bob Coxner wrote:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-02-17/hbo-to-release-streaming-online-content-to-verizon-fios-users.html

Why not to Roku users? We can be verified subscribers as well.


Because the cable/satellite industry does not want people to view the content they currently get through them, on their televisions via streaming. The idea behind these services, at least as I understand them, is that you would have access to their content on a computer when you are not at home. Obviously if you were at home, you would just watch it on television. I suppose it makes some sense; however, I think most people have absolutely no desire to watch anything beyond a 3 minute YouTube video on a computer screen. Hence, the reason streaming services like Netflix and Amazon VOD; and devices like the Roku DVP have become so popular.

If those like HBO who are heavily immersed in the cable/satellite world were forward thinking and innovative, they would be looking for ways to stream their content to a STB like the Roku DVP as a means of increasing their customer base. Instead they are spending their effort on providing a service with questionable value to an existing customer base. Maybe I am missing something, but this - HBO Go - and Comcast's Xfinity seem to defy logic.
 
robertm
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: HBO to Release Streaming Online Content to V'zon FiOS Us

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Bob Coxner wrote:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-02-17/hbo-to-release-streaming-online-content-to-verizon-fios-users.html

Why not to Roku users? We can be verified subscribers as well.



Why would you stream something you can just watch?

Like JC mentioned none of this seems particularly useful. Unless I am stuck in a hotel room with no other decent options I am not going to watch my computer like a TV. Maybe that doesn't bother some people but I don't care for it. I am not even terribly fond of my big screen connected to a computer.
 
jcmolet
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:11 pm
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ

Re: HBO to Release Streaming Online Content to V'zon FiOS Us

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:52 pm

robertm wrote:
Bob Coxner wrote:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-02-17/hbo-to-release-streaming-online-content-to-verizon-fios-users.html

Why not to Roku users? We can be verified subscribers as well.



Why would you stream something you can just watch?

Like JC mentioned none of this seems particularly useful. Unless I am stuck in a hotel room with no other decent options I am not going to watch my computer like a TV. Maybe that doesn't bother some people but I don't care for it. I am not even terribly fond of my big screen connected to a computer.


Yep. As I look at all these efforts like HBO Go and XFinity, I am left with the feeling I must be missing something. They are trying sell this as some great leap forward and all I can think is, "Why in the world would I want to watch my favorite TV show or a two hour movie on a 15" computer screen?"

Now with that being said, I travel a fair amount and typically stay at Marriotts. One thing I have noticed lately is that a lot of them have a little switch box (VGA, HDMI, component and composite connections) connected to their TVs. I suppose if you carried your own cables, were in a hotel that had these switch boxes and didn't want to watch what was on the TV at any given time, you could connect your laptop, login to XFinity and choose from the content available there. It seems like a lot of work to me, but I suppose some people would do it.
 
robertm
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: HBO to Release Streaming Online Content to V'zon FiOS Users

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:17 am

I have hooked a computer to a tv in a hotel room a number of times. It is not ideal. No remote. The notebook lid cannot be closed completely without losing playback. Screensavers get in the way if you don't remember to shut them off. Pausing for a restroom break is a hassle. There is really nothing fun about it. If it is all you have it is better than nothing but not by much.

Newer ones with HDMI outputs may not be so bad but in order to have the video and audio you have to run 2 wires through adaptors to the TV. So throughout you get the unsightly mess of cables as a bonus prize.
 
dougrb
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: HBO to Release Streaming Online Content to V'zon FiOS Users

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:45 am

I've never been in a hotel that had the bandwidth to support video streaming anyway.
 
Bob Coxner
Topic Author
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: HBO to Release Streaming Online Content to V'zon FiOS Us

Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:12 am

robertm wrote:
Bob Coxner wrote:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-02-17/hbo-to-release-streaming-online-content-to-verizon-fios-users.html

Why not to Roku users? We can be verified subscribers as well.



Why would you stream something you can just watch?

Like JC mentioned none of this seems particularly useful. Unless I am stuck in a hotel room with no other decent options I am not going to watch my computer like a TV. Maybe that doesn't bother some people but I don't care for it. I am not even terribly fond of my big screen connected to a computer.


I sub to HBO through DirecTV. DirecTV doesn't offer HBO on Demand. I would like to access the On Demand library and watch it on my tv. Being able to watch it while traveling would add icing on the cake.
 
robertm
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: HBO to Release Streaming Online Content to V'zon FiOS Users

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:07 am

I just accidentally hit save instead of submit and I have no idea where that post went.


Anyway... If the on-demand gives you access to episodes that are not currently play I can see your point, otherwise, I would rather just record them.
 
zwei
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:49 am
Location: Near an iPad
Contact:

Re: HBO to Release Streaming Online Content to V'zon FiOS Users

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:36 am

robertm wrote:
I just accidentally hit save instead of submit and I have no idea where that post went.


Anyway... If the on-demand gives you access to episodes that are not currently play I can see your point, otherwise, I would rather just record them.

Look in your User control panel under the "manage drafts" section.

On HBO. Until they give me a way to subscribe to HBO directly through their website I couldn't care less. Having to have a subscription via cable doesn't solve my problem.
Roku 2 XS: Serial # 13A167000334
 
digital_user63
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:20 am

Re: HBO to Release Streaming Online Content to V'zon FiOS Us

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:42 am

jcmolet wrote:
Bob Coxner wrote:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-02-17/hbo-to-release-streaming-online-content-to-verizon-fios-users.html

Why not to Roku users? We can be verified subscribers as well.


Because the cable/satellite industry does not want people to view the content they currently get through them, on their televisions via streaming. The idea behind these services, at least as I understand them, is that you would have access to their content on a computer when you are not at home. Obviously if you were at home, you would just watch it on television. I suppose it makes some sense; however, I think most people have absolutely no desire to watch anything beyond a 3 minute YouTube video on a computer screen. Hence, the reason streaming services like Netflix and Amazon VOD; and devices like the Roku DVP have become so popular.

If those like HBO who are heavily immersed in the cable/satellite world were forward thinking and innovative, they would be looking for ways to stream their content to a STB like the Roku DVP as a means of increasing their customer base. Instead they are spending their effort on providing a service with questionable value to an existing customer base. Maybe I am missing something, but this - HBO Go - and Comcast's Xfinity seem to defy logic.



You missed that cable networks are on Roku, like Starz and AMC.
 
mkiker2089
Posts: 2810
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: HBO to Release Streaming Online Content to V'zon FiOS Us

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:50 am

digital_user63 wrote:

You missed that cable networks are on Roku, like Starz and AMC.


I've missed that as well then. I get Starz through Netflix. Where is AMC and are there others.

Like others have said, having to subscribe to HBO is missing the point. It means we at least have to have a basic cable package, if not more. I don't want a DVR or converter box, I don't want cable packages.

HBO is owned by Time Warner. I'd think Showtime would be more likely to allow a streaming deal than anyone else.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
 
robertm
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: HBO to Release Streaming Online Content to V'zon FiOS Us

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:11 am

digital_user63 wrote:
You missed that cable networks are on Roku, like Starz and AMC.



Starz has lousy quality and the only place I see to get the others is PPV on Amazon.
 
rjdriver
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:16 am

Re: HBO to Release Streaming Online Content to V'zon FiOS Us

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:54 pm

jcmolet wrote:
SNIP...... "Why in the world would I want to watch my favorite TV show or a two hour movie on a 15" computer screen?" SNIP.....



Exactly! I have a 22" widesreen monitor and a very comfortable chair in front of my computer. I get my TV OTA, and have no DVR, so I once had to watch an episode of 24 that I had missed, on the computer the next day. Have also watched a college basketball game on ESPN3.com from the computer as it was the only way to catch it. But both experiences were less than optimal. It's just not the same as watching it on a large TV from your favorite living room chair or the couch.

HBO repeats things so often, I can see no real upside to the streaming service for them. "It’s about getting our subscribers to watch more of the content,” said Eric Kessler, co-president of HBO. “The more our subscribers watch HBO, the more they like the service and the longer they keep the service.” Is HBO really losing subscribers because they can't watch it when on a business trip or vacation, or on their smart phones? I find that hard to believe. Cable and telcos have made DVRs available to just about everybody, so there's no excuse for missing an episode of your favorite show anymore. And as most of us have agreed, watching TV on a laptop, let alone a phone, is not a great experience.

With ESPN now offering their web content streaming through Xbox, I think the parent companies of the networks are recognizing there is market share they are missing. Xbox users area a perfect market to find sports fans. But if they are courting this market they must be experiencing a loss of subscribers elsewhere. Could it be the effect of cord cutting? ESPN certainly has the most to lose due to it's very high cost to the consumer. If a million people cancel cable/Fios/Sat, that's approximately a $3,000,000.00 loss for ESPN, every month!

Granted, the TV networks, and their parent conpanies don't want to change the status quo. Their double ended cash cow of getting paid by both the advertisers *and* the viewers makes them money hand over foot. At the same time, when they see the numbers dwindling, and see an avenue to get that revenue back, I dont think they will shrink from it. It's a delicate balancing act, no doubt. But I think this is just the begining. ESPN will soon begin thinking about deals with Roku and other STB and entertainment equipment makers. HBOs entry into this market might be slower, but I don't think they would spend all that money on a streaming service just to keep current customers happy. This is a test run for doing the same thing as ESPN. I would pay $10-$12 a month for HBO through Roku in a heartbeat, but I would never go back to cable and pay for all that junk I never watch, to get it.
Last edited by rjdriver on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LG 42" 1080, Sony S550 Blu Ray, Pioneer VSX 512S, Harmony One, Roku 3-wired, Fire TV Stick, FlircUSB, 30Mb, Antenna. Coventry RI, USA
 
robertm
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: HBO to Release Streaming Online Content to V'zon FiOS Us

Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:25 pm

rjdriver wrote:
HBO repeats things so often, I can see no real upside to the streaming service for them. "It’s about getting our subscribers to watch more of the content,” said Eric Kessler, co-president of HBO. “The more our subscribers watch HBO, the more they like the service and the longer they keep the service.” Is HBO really losing subscribers because they can't watch it when on a business trip or vacation, or on their smart phones? I find that hard to believe. Cable and telcos have made DVRs available to just about everybody, so there's no excuse for missing an episode of your favorite show anymore. And as most of us have agreed, watching TV on a laptop, let alone a phone, is not a great experience.


They lost me because they don't offer enough variety. However, if they allowed me to stream their entire catalog of original content to my living room I might be interested again. By entire catalog I mean every show, movie, or documentary they have ever produced.

Showtime could get me back too. I wouldn't mind watching dead man's gun again.
 
bc24
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: HBO to Release Streaming Online Content to V'zon FiOS Us

Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:18 pm

The only upside to having this to me is to allow me to get rid of the cable box that is hooked up to one of my TVs. That TV has a computer hooked up to it and I only use it to watch streaming stuff and the occasional movie or show on HBO. If I could just stream it all instead I could save myself the 6 bucks a month that I pay for the box that is hardly ever used, but required if I want to watch HBO content currently.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests