Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

HeyJoe

Re: HBO to Release Streaming Online Content to V'zon FiOS Us

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:26 pm

Just two items keep me hanging on to this overpriced, endless rerunning mess of a channel....Real Time with Bill Maher and HBO Boxing. That's all. Otherwise I would have absolutely no use for it and would drop this service in a heartbeat.

Remember when HBO stood for Home Box Office and actually showed movies?

bc24

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:38 am

HeyJoe wrote:
Just two items keep me hanging on to this overpriced, endless rerunning mess of a channel....Real Time with Bill Maher and HBO Boxing. That's all. Otherwise I would have absolutely no use for it and would drop this service in a heartbeat.

The Sports documentaries are fantastic as are the HBO films movies. You Don't Know Jack was nominated for best picture at the Golden Globes and should have won. The other movies they show aren't great. Entourage is awesome as is Eastbound and Down.

vmps

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:23 am

HeyJoe wrote:

rentals and time shifting pretty much killed that business model.

mkiker2089

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:19 am

vmps wrote:
HeyJoe wrote:

rentals and time shifting pretty much killed that business model.

What killed it was the studios experimenting with time widows for sure. They used to have different time windown. Theatre, 4 months or so later was Pay Per view, a month later premium cable, a few more months for regular cable followed shortly by home video and TV at about the same time. It was over a year before people could get a VHS, and sometimes 2 for the broadcast premiere of a movie. I remember waiting two years to see several James Bond movies.

By the time a movie came to TV and VHS people had forgotten about all but the biggest of them. By killing HBO and it's likes they have improved their direct sales.

Back in the day you had three channels and it was nice to have them all. HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax. Cinemax became crap pretty quick so Time Warner increased the price of Showtime to compensate.

Anyone else remember 99 dollar VHS tapes?
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

vmps

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:33 am

mkiker2089 wrote:
Anyone else remember 99 dollar VHS tapes?

Yup--another time the studios were sure their profits would drop and were wailing long and loud about how they needed to sell $100 tapes to make ends meet. Suprise! It was BS and they've made billions on $10 DVDs. Streaming will end up the same way: lots of sound and fury, but volume will win out in the end.

RocknRoll

Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:05 am

People want to show off their new smartphone or tablet and display it showing HBO running on it. If you love your new teckie toy ,then you might be persuaded to switch carriers.

I agree with the earlier post; if we get HBO and ESPN streaming..pay TV really has to look at alacarte services or face significant revenue losses. I wouldnt mind a low-cost Cinemax( skinamax) offering and seems like Ol Ted Turner would put AMC/TBS/TCM/TRU as a package as well. Now bring on a FOXNEWS/SPORTS package and I wont be thinking about paytv anymore.

SynGamer

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:19 am

Sorry to bump a thread this old but has there been any word on HBO, TBS, FOX, etc. coming to Roku? I dropped cable and I would rather pay $4.99 a month for these channels (individually) than to pay $80 for 100's of channels I don't use.

scyber

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:10 am

SynGamer wrote:
Sorry to bump a thread this old but has there been any word on HBO, TBS, FOX, etc. coming to Roku? I dropped cable and I would rather pay $4.99 a month for these channels (individually) than to pay $80 for 100's of channels I don't use.

I'm sure if there was news you would of heard about it. It would be a pretty big deal.

I'm not sure how likely it is to happen since the channels would potentially upset the MSOs and could result in backlash (dropping the channel). Of all of the channels, I'd say HBO would be in the best position to offer streaming access directly to customers, since any MSO that dropped HBO would be lacking a major channel and at a competitive disadvantage to other providers. But if it does happen, don't expect to pay $4.99/month for it. Its likely the price would be similar to the cost to add it to your TV package, which, depending on your provider, ranges from $9.99-$19.99/month.

andrewnigrosh

Wed May 18, 2011 8:55 pm

Here's a thought. I don't want to pay for cable when I can just get HBO on my Roku. That would be the complete package for me. I already have Netflix and Hulu Plus, and those services provide all the content I want, anytime, for a good price - oh, and it works great (HD great). The only other shows or movies I want to watch are programs on narrow cast networks like HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc.

Like everyone says though, these networks do not have much incentive to focus on this strategy. Networks have a relationships with advertisers. Relationships that form an industry. Frankly, I think that the reason services like Netflix and Hulu are cool is because they don't have the long commercials. There is an integration happening in the future, but it doesn't make practical sense. For them I mean. I would flower love it.

shdware

Thu May 19, 2011 9:51 am

robertm wrote:
Why would you stream something you can just watch?

I got the Roku as a cable substitute, but when I switched internet providers to a cable service I got a bundle that included cable anyways.

Even though we have cable, my wife still prefers to use the Roku as all of the shows she watches are on Hulu+ and she HATES commercials. The 15-30 second commercials on Hulu are a far cry from what you'd see over the air.

Plus there's the convenience of watching a show when you want to watch it, not scheduling your life around a show.
4200R [Roku 3]

Formerly:
3100X [Roku 2 XS]
2050X [Roku XD]

42" VIZIO via HDMI @ 1080p
Comcast 20Mbit

robertm

Thu May 19, 2011 10:36 am

scyber wrote:
SynGamer wrote:

I'm sure if there was news you would of heard about it. It would be a pretty big deal.

I'm not sure how likely it is to happen since the channels would potentially upset the MSOs and could result in backlash (dropping the channel). Of all of the channels, I'd say HBO would be in the best position to offer streaming access directly to customers, since any MSO that dropped HBO would be lacking a major channel and at a competitive disadvantage to other providers. But if it does happen, don't expect to pay $4.99/month for it. Its likely the price would be similar to the cost to add it to your TV package, which, depending on your provider, ranges from $9.99-$19.99/month.

The boxee box has it but it is probably because they have the browser loophole.

robertm

Thu May 19, 2011 10:37 am

shdware wrote:
robertm wrote:
Plus there's the convenience of watching a show when you want to watch it, not scheduling your life around a show.

I have a DVR. The only thing I schedule my life around is sports.

scyber

Thu May 19, 2011 11:37 am

robertm wrote:
scyber wrote:
SynGamer wrote:

The boxee box has it but it is probably because they have the browser loophole.

Unless I'm mistaken the boxee box can only stream hbogo if your have a cable package with HBO already. It functions the same as a browser. I was referring to streaming to customers w/o a cable package.

scyber

Thu May 19, 2011 11:41 am

robertm wrote:
shdware wrote:
robertm wrote:

I have a DVR. The only thing I schedule my life around is sports.

DVRs are limited how many shows they can record at once by the # of tuners. That is one advantage VOD has over DVRs. The significance of that advantage depends on your (and your families) viewing preferences and the network schedules. I have 3 dual tuner DVRs and their are still times I need to make a choice about what to record.

robertm

Thu May 19, 2011 12:00 pm

scyber wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken the boxee box can only stream hbogo if your have a cable package with HBO already. It functions the same as a browser. I was referring to streaming to customers w/o a cable package.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that...

DVRs are limited how many shows they can record at once by the # of tuners. That is one advantage VOD has over DVRs. The significance of that advantage depends on your (and your families) viewing preferences and the network schedules. I have 3 dual tuner DVRs and their are still times I need to make a choice about what to record.

Wow. You got me there. There has never been a time where there have ever been 7 things I have wanted to record at the same time.