Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jimmyswimmy

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:49 pm

Oops
Last edited by jimmyswimmy on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmyswimmy

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:12 pm

WilDD wrote:
Look at Options -> My Options -> Video Preferences -> Category Order. If it is not set on Alphabetical, change it to that and try it again.

Argh! I have been trying to figure out why I've been going crazy the past week or so, and it turns out that this is it. My videos.xml file is sorted the way I intend to present it (series shows are sorted in order) and the alphabetizing that started happening all of a sudden thoroughly confused me and my wife.

It's hard to trust that the software is working when it updates on its own. I very rarely bother to update anything anymore unless it is a specific security update which affects me. Having a couple of Android devices trained me out of that. WilDD, would you ever consider doing something like Debian does - multiple distributions, in which one is basically the alpha code, one the beta, and one the stable code? Of course the stable code is way out of date (which would be just fine for many people, I imagine), and only gets updated every few months, while the bleeding edge is always available to the brave.

This would keep your code management pretty straightforward (says the guy who doesn't have to deal with it) and then users get to pick the stability they want - so if you fat finger a change that affects Mongoose users, for example, it would only affect those on the test channel(s), which would be a subset of your total userbase.

WilDD
Topic Author

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:03 pm

jimmyswimmy wrote:
WilDD wrote:
Look at Options -> My Options -> Video Preferences -> Category Order. If it is not set on Alphabetical, change it to that and try it again.

Argh! I have been trying to figure out why I've been going crazy the past week or so, and it turns out that this is it. My videos.xml file is sorted the way I intend to present it (series shows are sorted in order) and the alphabetizing that started happening all of a sudden thoroughly confused me and my wife.

It's hard to trust that the software is working when it updates on its own. I very rarely bother to update anything anymore unless it is a specific security update which affects me. Having a couple of Android devices trained me out of that. WilDD, would you ever consider doing something like Debian does - multiple distributions, in which one is basically the alpha code, one the beta, and one the stable code? Of course the stable code is way out of date (which would be just fine for many people, I imagine), and only gets updated every few months, while the bleeding edge is always available to the brave.

This would keep your code management pretty straightforward (says the guy who doesn't have to deal with it) and then users get to pick the stability they want - so if you fat finger a change that affects Mongoose users, for example, it would only affect those on the test channel(s), which would be a subset of your total userbase.

Hmm, I didn't think I changed anything that would cause that to happen. If I did, it wasn't intentional. When I make changes, I try to make it not affect what users already have set. Anything's possible though, I guess I could have changed something to cause that to happen. Were you able to set it the way you want it by selecting XML file order?

Matt9876

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:27 am

Help please ?

My Roksbox is stuck on the opening Rokabox logo and if you press the up arrow it says "working" but never progresses to the next screen or offers the preferences.

I'm sure the server address has changed but I can't get to the settings screen to make the necessary changes.

Thanks in advance.
ROKU Premiere Plus
ROKU 4
ROKU 3
Tablo OTA DVR
Samsung 4K UHD TV
Hisense 4K TV

krisbee

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:50 am

Anyone else having issue with subtitles not playing in Roksbox? I have an srt file that I created that plays without issue in mplayer but doesn't in roksbox... this is the first time I have used the subtitle feature.

I do have the subtitles enabled when I play the video...

WilDD
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:35 pm

Matt9876 wrote:
Help please ?

My Roksbox is stuck on the opening Rokabox logo and if you press the up arrow it says "working" but never progresses to the next screen or offers the preferences.

I'm sure the server address has changed but I can't get to the settings screen to make the necessary changes.

Thanks in advance.

If you wait long enough it will eventually let you in (could take a few minutes). Then you can change the settings. This will be fixed in a future release.

WilDD
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:37 pm

krisbee wrote:
Anyone else having issue with subtitles not playing in Roksbox? I have an srt file that I created that plays without issue in mplayer but doesn't in roksbox... this is the first time I have used the subtitle feature.

Are you sure the case of the srt name matches the video name exactly?

krisbee

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:57 pm

WilDD wrote:
krisbee wrote:

Are you sure the case of the srt name matches the video name exactly?

Matches exactly, otherwise it wouldn't have played in mplayer in linux. Also, I don't think Roksbox would have given me the option to play it, right?

I wasn't sure if subtitles could be played on a Roku1, but I was intending to watch this title on a Roku2, and regardless, it plays on neither.

Hmm, here is a sample of the first few lines from the srt file...
00:00:02,352 --> 00:00:06,755
After the conquest and plundering
ofthe Inca empire by Spain...

00:00:06,740 --> 00:00:10,198
...the Indians invented the
legend of EI Dorado...

00:00:10,310 --> 00:00:14,713
...a land of gold, located in the
swamps of the Amazon headwaters.

00:00:16,487 --> 00:00:21,390
A large expedition of Spanish
adventurers, led by Gonzalo Pizarro...

hozedhead

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:42 pm

I tried one and it's working on my end. Apache server Windows XP SP3. The subtitles are not in sync with the video, but that's not Roksbox's fault.
Roku Express 3900RW software v8.10

krisbee

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:07 am

Is the format of my srt's correct? I wonder if it is because I use composite... hmmm... not a huge deal losing that one or two movies - but I would like to know why, at least...

JSW

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:29 am

Hi,

Is anyone using MCEBuddy version 2.1 with Roksbox? I've been using version 1.1 for some time to convert TV shows I've recorded with the Windows Media Center. MCEBuddy converts the file to an .mp4, removes the commercials and puts the new file at a specified location. You can also tell it to store the new file by show, so each series you record gets its own subfolder. I have a 'Videos\TV\Recorded\' file structure set up for Roksbox, so once a show has been converted, it's available to any of my Rokus commercial free (kind of like a whole-house DVR).

I recently rebuilt my media server, and I put the new 2.1 version on it. I'm not sure what all 2.x offers over 1.x, but one thing I noticed right away is that it now creates a season subfolder and gets the actual name of the episode. So I end up with things like 'Videos\TV\Recorded\Fringe\Season 04\Nothing as It Seems.mp4'. Version 1.1 doesn't do the subfolder for seasons, and it gives the file itself a generic name such as 'Fringe_KPTM_03-30-12_09-00'.

The problem is Roksbox won't play the .mp4 files created by version 2.1. It either goes to a black screen after loading the file, or it shows a still frame from the video while the audio plays. Has anyone been able to successfully use MCEBuddy 2.x with Roksbox, and if so, what options (recording quality, etc.) are you using?

Thanks for the help!

scarpent

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi. I've been using Roksbox for some time now and everything has been fine/stable, but I think the recent category alphabetization update has "broken" the ordering of my shows. I'm using an XML file and have always had the categories/subcategories set to sort alphabetically, but relied on the order in the XML file for the actual shows within a category. But now the show names are sorted by alpha also. If I change the option to use XML file order it is fixed, but now my categories are also by XML file order. I'd like to maintain the old behavior if possible -- categories/subcategories alpha, shows by XML file order. Was this change in behavior to the file ordering intentional, or are there any other options for the ordering of individual entries?

Thanks!

Andycabs

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:24 am

Hi all. I love the added option for turning on and off subtitles. This was one of the best fixes yet as far as im concerned. However..with these latest updates I have noticed a small issue with the order of the sub catagory listings. I use a single XML file for all of my Movies and individual XML files for TV series episodes. Then when Roksbox encounters a files with a corasponding xml file it overrides the single xml file and uses the individual file for the episode. The movie catagories work just fine. But with the TV sub catagories for different shows and seasons, the files show up out of order. It seems to list the odd numbered episodes first then the even numbered episodes after. While this is not a major problem it is a tiny bit of an annoyance.. Here is an example of my faile naming. "DS9 S01E01.mp4, DS9 S01E02.mp4, DS9 S01E03.mp4" ect..ect. Episode 1 is always centered when the sub catagory menu comes up the the even numbered episodes are left of episode 1 and the odd numbered episodes are right of episode 1. Do I need to change sonething in the individual xml files to change the order? Here is an example of an individual episode XML file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<video>
<title>Episode 1: The Homecoming</title>
<year>1994</year>
<genre>[TV, Deep Space 9, Season 2]</genre>
<mpaa>PG-13</mpaa>
<director>Gene Roddenberry</director>
<actors>Avery Brooks, Rene Auberjonois and Alexander Siddig </actors>
<description>Word that a previously thought dead Bajoran resistance legend is still alive sends Kira and Chief O'Brien to Cardassia IV to rescue him; meanwhile "The Circle", a sect of the Bajoran provisional government that is intent on wiping out alien influence, is sneaking into power.</description>
<length>43</length>
</video>

P.S. this only started happening with the recent updates to Roksbox.
Thanks
Andy

jimboha!

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:18 am

Howdy,
I just typed up a very detailed question, but lost it by accident!

Recap: Does the addition of an SD card into a Roku 2 unit with Roksbox improve the "large collection experience"?

I have 3000+ MP3s and 5000+ JPGs. Must I use frugal mode, or does Roku 2/Roksbox use the additional storage available on the SD card to parse the collection?

I can provide more details if needed, but this is the main question. I have searched the Roksbox FAQs and this forum, but found nothing.

Thank you.
Jimboha!

Gilgamesh

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:26 am

jimboha! wrote:
Howdy,
I just typed up a very detailed question, but lost it by accident!

Recap: Does the addition of an SD card into a Roku 2 unit with Roksbox improve the "large collection experience"?

I have 3000+ MP3s and 5000+ JPGs. Must I use frugal mode, or does Roku 2/Roksbox use the additional storage available on the SD card to parse the collection?

I can provide more details if needed, but this is the main question. I have searched the Roksbox FAQs and this forum, but found nothing.

Thank you.
Jimboha!

I very much doubt that it would as the card is only used for storing the chs but channels do not use the card for storage or any other purpose.