Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:04 am

maw4156 wrote:
Problem connecting/launching

I have Roksbox set up on three different Rokus throughout the house. It worked great on Monday night. No issues at all I tried to connect last night and nothing. I clicked on the Roksbox icon and it would never "load." I left it for a minute to see if it would launch and it didn't. I tried it on all three of the Rokus again this AM with the same result. Before I go through the hassle of deleting the channel and reloading it on all three Rokus, I figured I would check to see if others were having the same issue or if something changed.

Thanks for any help!!

You sure nothing changed in your router or server?

JSW

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:14 am

Hi,

Not quite a year ago I had asked about the possibility of having a delete option added, hopefully with a verification message before the file is actually deleted. Ideally, I'd like to have it set up somehow with a configuration file, so that the user could pick which folders the delete option appears on.

WilDD had replied that it was on his to-do list. I was just wondering if you had an update on this?

Thanks as always for all your work!

maw4156

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:26 am

philsoft wrote:
maw4156 wrote:

I have Roksbox set up on three different Rokus throughout the house. It worked great on Monday night. No issues at all I tried to connect last night and nothing. I clicked on the Roksbox icon and it would never "load." I left it for a minute to see if it would launch and it didn't. I tried it on all three of the Rokus again this AM with the same result. Before I go through the hassle of deleting the channel and reloading it on all three Rokus, I figured I would check to see if others were having the same issue or if something changed.

Thanks for any help!!

Nope nothing changed. Like I said - worked great Monday night. But tried again on Tuesday night and I couldn't get the channel to launch. If no one else is having an issue, I can try and delete the channel and try again.

krisbee

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:09 am

maw4156 wrote:
philsoft wrote:
maw4156 wrote:

Thanks for any help!!

Nope nothing changed. Like I said - worked great Monday night. But tried again on Tuesday night and I couldn't get the channel to launch. If no one else is having an issue, I can try and delete the channel and try again.

And the obvious, you have turned off your router and rebooted, along with the Roku's, right?

philsoft

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:22 am

krisbee wrote:
And the obvious, you have turned off your router and rebooted, along with the Roku's, right?

And reboot the server.

maw4156

Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:33 pm

philsoft wrote:
krisbee wrote:

And reboot the server.

Rebooting the server (for the third time) seems to have done the trick. AAARRRGGHHHH Deeep breath - I'm up and running again!!! YEAH!!!

Thanks for all of the help - as always!!!

krisbee

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:26 pm

maw4156 wrote:
philsoft wrote:
krisbee wrote:

And reboot the server.

Rebooting the server (for the third time) seems to have done the trick. AAARRRGGHHHH Deeep breath - I'm up and running again!!! YEAH!!!

Thanks for all of the help - as always!!!

No problem... glad it was solved... also sometimes having a firewall turned on causes problems if it isn't clearly defined/allowed for intranet traffic, which trapped me once when it was inadvertently turned on...

iarizona

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:32 am

Tilde still a problem in V2. WilDD I tried it again on V2 and Roksbox does not list any of my movies that exist in the Mac's Sites location. This used to work a couple of months back even on version 1.

I am using Apache2 on the Mac and the logs show that HTTP accesses that carries the tilde such as http://10.1.0.2/~username are processed ok by Apache with a return code of 200. But there are also other HTTP requests coming from Roksbox that replace the tilde with %7E (automatic replacement by Roksbox I think) and those do not return HTTP code 200, so there is not problem there.

So the result is none of my movies are listed and of course I cannot play them.

I don't want to add symbolic links so can you look into this again? Thanks!

By the way you may want to consider adding optional automatic transcoding, like Plex does, to your product in a future release. Plex has a lot of bugs so this is an opportunity for you to transcode everything on-the-fly to a playable format such as .mp4.

Best Regards.

krisbee

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:06 pm

Sorry for my ignorance (use linux and not a mac), but can't you make a symbolic link from somewhere to your ~username location - like http://10.0.0.0/link which then points to your ~username location? it will resolve correctly, as will all the subdirectories, but you don't have to do anything except the one initial link... (so http://10.0.0.0/link/videos/video.mp4 really is at http://10.0.0.0/~username/videos/video.mp4)

As for transcoding, software would have to be installed on the web serving computer - which isn't what roksbox does - the only software installed is on the Roku - you install a webserver (or if one is already installed, great)... I don't run plex specifically because I don't want to run plex software on my computer (older linux machine that also functions as my dvr backend, and NAS)...

kirkwolf

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:15 pm

I have roksbox running, serving videos from my linux server.

I have a basic question: what is the best tool (command line linux) to use if I need to lower the average bitrate of a mp4 or mkv video so that it will play on my ROKU 2 HD?

Many of the videos that I want to play are, from various sources, 720P MP4 or mkv. They seem to be using supported codecs, but have an average bit rate of 4-5 mbits/sec.

Thanks,

Kirk

BTW: I tried using ffmpeg with settings as described here: http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/RokuSDK ... ndBitrates
It ran a long time, and didn't lower the bit rate or file size at all. Wierd.

philsoft

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:18 pm

kirkwolf wrote:
They seem to be using supported codecs, but have an average bit rate of 4-5 mbits/sec.

This bitrate should not be a problem for HD video.

Arwen

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:10 pm

kirkwolf wrote:
Many of the videos that I want to play are, from various sources, 720P MP4 or mkv. They seem to be using supported codecs, but have an average bit rate of 4-5 mbits/sec.

If I remember correctly, MKV are only supported via the USB channel(s), not for streaming. Use MP4.

As the prior response said, 4-5Mbps should be fine. I routinely run 6Mbps or higher on my Roku 2 XS
for SD and 720p. Even upto 15Mbps for 1080p.

As for trans-coding, I use HandBrake, which works well under Linux via command line;

http://handbrake.fr/

And I also use Linux as my media server, (a fit-PC1). Works very well even for 1080p videos. (Though
it's slow to copy over the large files like videos... but whence there, great.)
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth

krisbee

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:37 am

I agree with the past posters - your bandwith should be fine - I would look into some of your wireless settings on the router, making sure the mhz size is as big as possible, perhaps changing channels, etc. first. Then I would look into your webserver and make sure the settings there are optimized - perhaps there is a priority setting that is gumming up the works, or cache size in apache, etc...

Having said that, to change bit rate, I would use either mencoder using xvid (quicker) and putting that in an mp4 container (which works), or using handbrake (which is basically all I use to make roku compliant files)...

krisbee

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:39 am

Also, your mkv's I would look at and see if they have the right codecs in them, if so, converting them to mp4 is a snap using ffmpeg with the copy option, so basically it is just changing it to the proper container...

ffmpeg -i file.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy file.mp4

lakanen

Neither Version of Roksbox Displays My Artwork and Most Albu

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:58 pm

Got a helluva puzzle on my hands.

Just moved to new place. Have new wireless router (built into DSL modem). Have copied entire 10 GB of music library from backup to my laptop. Installed Mongoose 2.8. Added exception to Windows Firewall.

I predominantly use the Music Directory Structure approach plus three custom XML playlists. My folder structure is the typical style where level 1 is the artist and level 2 are the album sub-folders. I have folder.jpg files in about 95% of the album sub-folders.

Both versions of Roksbox (original and cloud) are doing the same thing: Playlists are fine; all music plays and art displays. But (and here's the problem) when I go the directories, the vast majority of them display: (empty)

The few that display the album(s) so I can play it, do not show the folder.jpg artwork.

So I pulled out my iPad to test the web connection. It all works fine: directory browsing, viewing the folder.jpg files, etc.

And as if this situation isn't confusing enough... I have a single artist who has both her albums display WITH THEIR COVER ART. But no one else.

I've rebooted the Roku several times and re-configured the settings manually, but to no avail.

What the heck is going on? I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Also, does Frugal Mode still exist in the cloud version? If so, I can't figure out how to turn it on. Could that be my problem?

And, yes, all of this worked fine at my old place with a different wireless router and hosting the music on workstation instead of the laptop.

Thanks!

-peter