Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

JSW

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:02 am

Hi,

I've been using Roksbox for several years now and love it, but I have a few questions.

1) Has anyone been having problems with themes? I have three Rokus running Roksbox, and they are each set to show themes automatically, but I've noticed for some time that they aren't working. Most recently was the 4th of July, no theme, just the black background. I could manually select the 4th of July theme and see it, but as soon as I changed back to the automatic option, it was gone.

2) I also noticed we had a recent software update on Roksbox. Maybe I’ve just never found it, but is there a page that shows what was added/changed in each update (and maybe when they were released)? If not, would it be possible to have that? Right now I kind of stumble across new features by accident.

3) This is a request I’ve made a couple of times, but is there a chance of getting a delete option added for movies? One of the things I use Roksbox for is part of my homemade DVR setup, and it would be great if I could delete TV shows after I watch them. Especially with a verification first, so I don't delete something by accident! Right now I go to my server periodically to clean them up.

Thanks as always for your great product!

PalmFrond

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:53 pm

I have a Micca EP350 G2 media player for some of the long TV series stuff - a bit more convenient than thumb drive on the Roku. Works well enough but I'm using composite to the TVs. Thought RoksBox would be slick.

I am no wizard but I tried everything I could think of, I was unable to connect with RoksBox. Got frustrated and deleted the channel.

Still like the idea of RoksBox. Particularly if the GUI is better than the one on the EP350.

My Mac connects with smb://ip#/c

When I put the IP address in Safari, it goes to Neighborhood Web with the Ip#/home.html

Help would be appreciated or knowing I just have the wrong stuff to connect to RoksBox so I can stop wondering.

Thanks.
Doug

Zudnic

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:09 pm

For the record, anyone using PVD and generating an XML file must edit the XML file. PVD by default adds a path to the video file that is local to your computer (e.g., c:\myvideos) when the path needs to be relative to your web server.

If you don't do this you get a 404 when playing the video file on your Roksbox.

After generating the PVD XML file, open it up and do a CTRL+F. In my case, I needed to replace
z:\dvd video\mp4\
with
MP4\

Just something I worked out and thought I would add if anyone comes across this in the future.

DallasSoxFan

Problems with an LT

Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:34 am

I was hoping someone could shed some light into this for me.

Here is my problem: On my Roku LTs, Roksbox playback is punctuated with 1 second long audio/video blackouts every minute or so. The video continues happily on its way, but with these occasional display hiccups. This problem doesn't exist on my original first generation Rokus, just the LTs. The LTs don't have this behavior on any other channel I use (netflix, amazon video, pandora, PBS Kids, or Amazon Cloud Player), just on Roksbox.

Here is my setup: I use a RaspberryPi (low powered linux) running Raspian and lighttpd as the webserver. It is networked through a wireless bridge to the main router. It works very well and I can reliably get 3 concurrent streams playing to Roksbox. As for media storage, I use directory browsing with the video file, cover jpg, and xml metadata all having the same file name. This also works peachy. (Actually, I should probably write up my instructions for the metadata - I've really streamlined the process). My media is all ripped from physical disks that I own. I rip using handbrake using the original AppleTV profile. I don't really care about getting to 1080 with my rips. The vast majority of them are from my kids and they aren't HD snobs so my media comes from DVD not Bluray.

I have 4 Roku's in the house. Two of them are first generation (original) Rokus and the other two are Roku LTs. One of the first gens is wired, the other is wireless. Like I said, the first gen rokus work fine, I just have these problems with the LT.

I am fine solving my problem by getting a Roku 3, but I'd like to at least know that will actually solve the problem. Re-encoding really isn't something I'd like to do (WAY too many videos), but I will do so if I hear that the Roku 3 won't help. Actually, I would probably look to ebay and get a couple of extra first generation ones instead!

DallasSoxFan

My method for roksbox metadata files

Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:51 am

As promised in my other reply...

These instructions are for linux. This is more than capable of being used on Windows, but you will need to use alternate programs and figure it out yourself :)

***save all files into the same directory or alter the commands to use the full path
1. Install xsltproc. This is a command-line application for converting one XML format to another using XSLT transformation.
sudo apt-get install xsltproc
2. Save the XSLT at the bottom of this post to a text file and name it nfo.xsl
3. Use this URL to download the metadata for your video file and name it movie.nfo (http://nfo.sprocket.dk)
4. Download the cover art for the movie using google images. Be sure you choose a jpg.
5. Use the following to remove all ampersands from the downloaded .nfo file
sudo perl -pi -e 's/&/and/g' movie.nfo
6. Use the following to convert the movie.nfo to movie.xml
sudo xsltproc -o movie.xml nfo.xsl movie.nfo
7. Rename your movie file, jpg, and movie.xml to all have the exact same case-sensitive file name (except the extension, of course).
8. Copy to your web server (IIS, Apache, Lighttpd, etc)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
<xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>
   <xsl:template name="divide">
      <xsl:param name="to-be-divided"/>
      <xsl:param name="delimiter"/>
      <xsl:choose>
         <xsl:when test="contains($to-be-divided,$delimiter)">
            <name>
               <xsl:value-of select="substring-before($to-be-divided,$delimiter)"/>
            </name>
            <xsl:call-template name="divide">
               <xsl:with-param name="to-be-divided" select="substring-after($to-be-divided,$delimiter)"/>
               <xsl:with-param name="delimiter" select="','"/>
            </xsl:call-template>
         </xsl:when>
         <xsl:otherwise>
            <name>
               <xsl:value-of select="$to-be-divided"/>
            </name>
         </xsl:otherwise>
      </xsl:choose>
   </xsl:template>
   <xsl:template match="movie">
      <movie>
         <origtitle>
            <xsl:value-of select="title"/>
         </origtitle>
         <year>
            <xsl:value-of select="year"/>
         </year>
         <genre>
            <xsl:value-of select="genre"/>
            <!--<xsl:call-template name="divide">
               <xsl:with-param name="to-be-divided" select="genre"/>
               <xsl:with-param name="delimiter" select="','"/>
            </xsl:call-template> -->
         </genre>
         <mpaa>Rated <xsl:value-of select="mpaa"/></mpaa>
         <director>
            <xsl:for-each select="director">
               <xsl:value-of select="concat(., substring(',', 2 - (position() != last())))"/>
            </xsl:for-each>
         </director>
         <actors>
            <xsl:for-each select="actor">
               <xsl:value-of select="concat(name, substring(',', 2 - (position() != last())))"/>
            </xsl:for-each>
         </actors>
         <description>
            <xsl:value-of select="outline"/>
         </description>
         <length>
            <xsl:value-of select="translate(runtime,translate(runtime,'0123456789',''),'')"/>
         </length>
      </movie>
   </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Gilgamesh

Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:01 am

I have not heard of the problem you describe but let's see what we can do to fix it.

Since You R1 works we don't need to worry about re-encoding.

The first thing to try is a power off reboot. Unplug the Roku and wait about 10 seconds and plug it back in the test Roksbox.

If that does not help try removing and reinstalling Roksbox. While we are here I have a question. Which ver of Roksbox are you running? If it is the original Roksbox then try Roksbox Cloud. The Cloud ver is what I run.

If the above does not help, we will avoid a factory reset for now as I doubt it will fix the problem, there are some other things to try but first report back here so we can evaluate the next things to try.

I doubt that the Lt itself is the issue but you never know. If you are able to do so fairly easily you might try getting an R3 just to be sure. There is a slight possibility that the LT is the problem but it is not likely.

Oh, it just occurred to me it could be a wireless issue that the LT does not handle well. Try changing the wireless channel in your Router to something like 11 or 6. It can't hurt to try as you can always change it back if needed.

WilDD
Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:29 pm

New version available - V2.1.0

A new version of Roksbox is now available. Version V2.1.0 provides the ability to skip the main menu and go directly to your default media screen. To set Roksbox to skip the main menu, go to:

Options -> My Options -> Menu Preferences -> Show Main Menu

From the Show Main Menu screen, choose "yes" to show the main menu, or "no" to skip the main menu and go straight to your default media screen.

If you want to change your default media screen, go to:

Options -> My Options -> Menu Preferences -> Default Media

From the Select Default Media screen, choose "Video Screen", "Music Screen", or "Photo Screen".

Gilgamesh

Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Thanks WilDD everything works as advertised.

WilDD
Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:21 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
Thanks WilDD everything works as advertised.

Good to hear. I'll work on your request next (I haven't forgotten about it).

farside847

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:59 am

Awesome!

beq

Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Coincidentally I'd already re-installed Roksbox Cloud yesterday on another Roku account, and saw the default media option. Didn't realize it's new :mrgreen:

WilDD
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:09 pm

JSW wrote:
Hi,

I've been using Roksbox for several years now and love it, but I have a few questions.

1) Has anyone been having problems with themes? I have three Rokus running Roksbox, and they are each set to show themes automatically, but I've noticed for some time that they aren't working. Most recently was the 4th of July, no theme, just the black background. I could manually select the 4th of July theme and see it, but as soon as I changed back to the automatic option, it was gone.

If you're using Roksbox original, the auto themes should work now. If you're using Roksbox Cloud, there aren't any holiday based themes. However, some of those themes are nice (I like the Halloween one). Maybe I will add the holiday themes to Roksbox Cloud.

2) I also noticed we had a recent software update on Roksbox. Maybe I’ve just never found it, but is there a page that shows what was added/changed in each update (and maybe when they were released)? If not, would it be possible to have that? Right now I kind of stumble across new features by accident.

Unfortunately I don't have anything organized for that right now.

3) This is a request I’ve made a couple of times, but is there a chance of getting a delete option added for movies? One of the things I use Roksbox for is part of my homemade DVR setup, and it would be great if I could delete TV shows after I watch them. Especially with a verification first, so I don't delete something by accident! Right now I go to my server periodically to clean them up.

This would be very tricky to do. You would need something like PHP on your local server in order to do the deleting, which would make the setup much more complicated. I will give it some thought as a possible option for those who might be interested.

Thanks as always for your great product!

themann00

Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:55 pm

Is it possible to have both a webserver AND usb configured? It seems whenever I configure one, the other no longer shows up. I want ROKSBOX to be my one-stop shop!

Gilgamesh

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:44 pm

themann00 wrote:
Is it possible to have both a webserver AND usb configured? It seems whenever I configure one, the other no longer shows up. I want ROKSBOX to be my one-stop shop!

Although I rarely use the USB option recently I had a need to test it and I set up and ran the USB for a while. (Worked well by the way) Then I changed back up the web server and all my settings remained. All I had to do was choose the web server and all my settings remained.

farside847

Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:51 pm

Has anyone ever used a Raspberry Pi to stream movie files to Roksbox?