Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jdesign214

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:45 pm

Using Roksbox for quite sometime and for the last month, on all 5 boxes, I'm getting "format detected" when I start a video in roksbox. You have to click the ok box to see the video. I think this is from the last update. I have notified Roku. Still waiting for a fix. Anyone?

avalpert

Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:25 pm

Hi, I'm trying to register my roksbox after my trial expired - but it seems like your code for sending registration emails isn't working so my account hasn't been activated and I can't login to register and purchase it.

Is this going to be fixed?

stan7826

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:16 pm

I've been using roksbox for several years now, and it's been great. But just in the last few days, I've started having some *very* weird problems. So far the problems have only occurred for high-resolution videos. Standard (think DVD or standard camcorder resolution) videos play fine. But anything that's HD plays for a while and then stops. A box shows up saying something like "An unknown error has occurred". It will happen at exactly the same spot for each video that fails. And the time and place of failure is different for each one that fails. Also, if I start the video from the beginning and immediately fast-forward to a minute or so after the failure point, then it plays just fine, although some have hit a second failure point later on. I verified that the video files are not corrupted. I can type the GET request to the web server into my macbook and it will get the video file and play it just fine. It also plays fine if I use mplayer on the linux machine that hosts my web server. I thought it might be an issue with my web server, but I've tested it with two different computers acting as the web server, and also with the file served off my NAS box or directly from the computer. At this point, the only common thing in all the failures is that it's playing through roksbox on the roku.

Has anyone else seen this?

navilor

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:11 pm

stan7826 wrote:
A box shows up saying something like "An unknown error has occurred". It will happen at exactly the same spot for each video that fails.

Has anyone else seen this?

Yes. This happened after one of the recent updates to Roku. I have the same issue and there are multiple people up thread that are also affected by this issue.

1) I am in the streaming media business and know how to create H.264 video with stereo AAC audio in an MP4 container that is 100 percent compatible for repacketizing for delivery via RTMP, RTSP, HLS, MPEG-DASH, Adobe HDS, and Microsoft Silverlight. This is not a media problem.

2) I run nginx in a BSD jail with FastCGI PHP enables with pseudo-streaming enabled. This is not a problem with your web server.

Resolution for this issue will only happen if Wilddtech fixes the code in Roksbox. This concerns me as most companies that create a software product or operating system typically announce in advance what changes developers should expect to see and that they should modify their code accordingly lest it break in the upcoming release. Changing an API call or depreciating an old method are the most common things that I see developers being faced with. If worse comes to worst there are always the release notes to refer to.

Due to this issue I have sadly moved to Plex, at least until this is resolved.

Debstoy54

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Testing

Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:08 pm

I'm trying to register my new Streaming stick with Roksbox.  Unfortunately I don't remember my Roksbox password and the email address I used when I registered is no longer valid.  I have tried to re-register with a new login name and my current email address and it won't let me do that either.  Is there something wrong with your login/registration at Roksbox.com?

Debstoy54

Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:59 am

What is the difference between "Roksbox Cloud", "Roksbox Xstream" and "Roksbox Plug N Play"?  Is one of these the latest and greatest while the others are outdated?  When I originally purchased Roksbox, it was "Roksbox Cloud" and you had to go thru Roksbox.com to activate it.  Since that no longer appears to be possible is it the case that Xstream and PnP are newer versions that don't require this?  

clos2016

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:44 am

Hello, I am using Roksbox for google drive. I have added jpeg files and xml files in google drive directory where Roksbox is set but my videos still show default screens. How can I fix it? I want to be able to see the thumbnail for each video not just the name.

kuiqshifta

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:29 am

Just purchased this and its been both exciting but difficult to setup. To start, ive been using twonky media server through my router/local network and the roku media player app. This roku app Works wonderfully with all (handbrake ripped) .mp4's being available to play. (Running this for months)After roksbox setup, directing to the same media server i have /video for directory, it says no media found. If i had known this i would used my $4 to buy a box of tissues instead. Any feedback on this,.... im not the first with this problem. Ive only purchased to gain more features (one being search option) for ease of finding videos but have lacked in it to work at all.

pbnj

Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:17 pm

jdesign214 wrote:
Using Roksbox for quite sometime and for the last month, on all 5 boxes, I'm getting "format detected" when I start a video in roksbox. You have to click the ok box to see the video. I think this is from the last update. I have notified Roku. Still waiting for a fix. Anyone?

Bump.
Mee too, I get about 30 "startup progress" popups a "format detected", followed by a "start of play" then a new"playback position" box every few seconds.

jhanson

Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:45 pm

pbnj wrote:
jdesign214 wrote:

Bump.
Mee too, I get about 30 "startup progress" popups a "format detected", followed by a "start of play" then a new"playback position" box every few seconds.

Same here.  It has effectively made the channel unusable.  Does anybody know a good alternative?  I don't really like Plex.  I want something with the simplicity of Roksbox, only that still works.

JSW

Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:40 pm

pbnj wrote:
jdesign214 wrote:

Bump.

Same thing here, but only on my Roku 3 - I have my fingers crossed on my Roku 2s; they are still working (except for the annoying one time "format detected" at the start). I noticed it Saturday (11/05) on my Roku 3. I checked the update history and it had updated on 11/04; I'm sure that's what did it. I'm in agreement on the issue, it makes Roksbox completely unusable.

I had a new Roku 2 I received recently for reactivating my Sling account. I swapped out the Roku 3 with the new Roku 2. My setup went fine until I tried to register Roksbox. When I try to login, it tells me "Login denied! Your account has either been blocked or you have not activated it yet." If I try to have it send me my user name or password, it tells me "Reset password failed: This user is blocked. If this is an error, please contact an administrator." Any idea what's causing this or how to resolve it?

Thanks for your help!

WilDD
Topic Author

Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:44 pm

jhanson wrote:
pbnj wrote:
jdesign214 wrote:

Bump.

Same here.  It has effectively made the channel unusable.  Does anybody know a good alternative?  I don't really like Plex.  I want something with the simplicity of Roksbox, only that still works.

This issue was fixed a few months ago. Make sure you are using one of the following Roksbox versions or higher:
Roksbox Cloud:  V2.3.14
All other Roksbox versions:  V3.3.14
To find the Roksbox version, select Help from the Roksbox main menu.

JSW

Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:59 pm

WilDD wrote:
This issue was fixed a few months ago. Make sure you are using one of the following Roksbox versions or higher:
Roksbox Cloud:  V2.3.14
All other Roksbox versions:  V3.3.14
To find the Roksbox version, select Help from the Roksbox main menu.

Hi WilDD,

Sorry if this is document somewhere, but I couldn't find it. How do I get Roksbox to update itself? I checked one of my Rokus, and it shows that I'm running V1.26.3 of your original server-based version, so it sounds like I am way behind on updates.

Also, do you have any idea why my account appears to be locked? I cannot log on to the Roksbox site.

Thanks!

jchallen

Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:59 pm

JSW, like you, I was running the old version of Roksbox. Here's how to get the latest: sign in to your Roku account in a web browser, choose "Add A Channel" and enter code CU2SC. It'all install the latest "Roksbox Cloud" which is slightly different than the old plain "Roksbox" app. Works perfectly and somehow got all the settings from my old Roksbox channel without having to set it up again. No more format detected, startup progress, etc.

jonathanknez

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:49 pm

I have been using Roksbox for probably 5 years. Its great, very simply in comparison to plex.

I found my way to this forum page due to recent issues:
  1. Formatted detected message
  2. Playback stopping at repeatable time in a movie
  3. Startup progress / start of play messages.
I am still running version 1.26.3 of the original channel. WilDD, I understand I need to install a more recent version. When I attempt to do so, Roku says I will have to pay for the channel again, $3.99 or $4.99. I already bought the original channel. Do I really need to purchase it again or is there some path I can take to get the new app without being charged again?

Thanks.