Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

krisbee

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Testing

Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:56 am

Now new issue with Roksbox Cloud - it doesn't load at all - it gets past the splash screen, I see a quick blip and then my guess is it is trying to reach a webserver and just hangs with a blank screen (it used to do this a long time ago to fetch themes and then time out after 15 seconds with a cached/default theme if it couldn't reach home) - it stays black for at least five minutes - so basically the channel is unusable.

While I didn't care for the update dropping Poster layout, only grid, it DID work on my Roku.  now it doesn't work at all.

ronganus

Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:31 am

krisbee wrote:
Now new issue with Roksbox Cloud - it doesn't load at all - it gets past the splash screen, I see a quick blip and then my guess is it is trying to reach a webserver and just hangs with a blank screen (it used to do this a long time ago to fetch themes and then time out after 15 seconds with a cached/default theme if it couldn't reach home) - it stays black for at least five minutes - so basically the channel is unusable.

While I didn't care for the update dropping Poster layout, only grid, it DID work on my Roku.  now it doesn't work at all.

Same here, there was an update a few weeks ago that made it almost unusable, now apparently there was another update that broke it completely.

krisbee

Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:50 pm

Spoke to the developer real quick - he is aware of the issue and is still working around the new Roku coding that is out there that channels have to adhere to, plus the recent OS change (I did notice it changed a few days ago, the whole Roku OS).  He will hopefully have a fix soon for it (at least the Cloud version, but I think almost all the different versions of the channel use the same code base).

sharpedge

Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Dang, using roksbox now reboots my roku 3 :-(. I had some issues with the new version but at least it was working until today :-(

krisbee

Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:49 am

Last update fixed the channel for me - no more black screen - everything working again.  12/16/18

DaRamblerman

Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:59 am

So does this roksbox gizmo play DVD vob files? I just bought the Roku ultra to replace my ailiing wdtv and it does not play :(VOB

krisbee

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:05 am

DaRamblerman wrote:
So does this roksbox gizmo play DVD vob files? I just bought the Roku ultra to replace my ailiing wdtv and it does not play :(VOB

No, it does not - Roku's only play h264 files (either in m4v or mkv containers) - you have to either transcode them or use Plex which will transcode on the fly from a host computer (assuming it is powerful enough).  

JSW

Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Good News: Roksbox Cloud is once again working on my Rokus that already had it installed. Thanks!

Bad News: I still can't get Roksbox Cloud installed on my new Roku Ultra. I get the Roxksbox Cloud splash screen; it tells me the profile has not been configured, it takes me to the Setup Wizard (this is new, before it just rebooted the Roku at this point), I select Server and it asks for my server URL (automatic search doesn't find my media server; I don't think it ever did). At this point, I enter the URL for my server 'http://192.168.xxx.xxx' and hit Continue. This kicks me out of Roksbox and sends me back to the Roku Home screen. If I go back into Roksbox, it starts all over.

I've tried this a number of times. Occasionally it leaves me in the setup wizard, but none of the options work (I select them but nothing happens). I tried removing Roksbox and adding it back, and I just tried a factory reset on the Ultra. I still get the same results described above. 

So, unless I'm doing something wrong - and I could be, I haven't set up Roksbox in over a year - it looks like there may still be an issue with the setup wizard.

Has anyone else ran into this issue, or does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try?

Thanks for the help!

Kent_c

Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:46 pm

So I had the issue on my Ultra. For some reason I could not get it to allow me to manually input my server settings. 

The first time I tried to auto detect it did not work. I ran it a second time and it did pick up the server. Only issue I am having now is getting it to recognize my xml file.

krisbee

Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:35 pm

When I talked to the developer a few days ago, he said he is still having issues with the new coding and initial setup.  He is aware of the issue and still working on it.  So, basically - if you had it running before it should be ok, but if you hadn't, the channel will still not work.
Having said that, he said expect crashes as well even if it IS working for a bit as he goes through and fixes the incompatibilities with the new OS from Roku.

JSW

Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:06 pm

krisbee wrote:
When I talked to the developer a few days ago, he said he is still having issues with the new coding and initial setup.  He is aware of the issue and still working on it.  So, basically - if you had it running before it should be ok, but if you hadn't, the channel will still not work.
Having said that, he said expect crashes as well even if it IS working for a bit as he goes through and fixes the incompatibilities with the new OS from Roku.

Thanks for the update. I don't remember exactly, but I was thinking once I'd switched to the cloud version, the initial setup became much easier - I'm thinking it remembered my settings from my other Rokus.

My media server is running on a Windows 10 Pro machine. The user accounts are password protected - I think that is what's causing my issue (at least part of it). I can give it my server address, but without a user ID and password, it can't connect. I can remember the original version of Roksbox let you set a user name/password to access the server. Again, I think after switching to the cloud version, it just seems to know it on new setups.

I'll just wait for the fix in the initial setup. Thanks again!

doubleoh0

Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:05 am

Hi -- I'm seeing the same issue as others, black screen after loading and sometimes causing my Roku to restart. I am using Rokxbox Xstream -- should I switch to cloud or remove and download or should I just wait for an update?

Thanks!

krisbee

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:07 pm

doubleoh0 wrote:
Hi -- I'm seeing the same issue as others, black screen after loading and sometimes causing my Roku to restart. I am using Rokxbox Xstream -- should I switch to cloud or remove and download or should I just wait for an update?

Thanks!

Make sure you go to the system screen in the regular roku menu (not roksbox) and check for updates.  He also may be just updating cloud until its all figured out, but I dont know that.

dbrake

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:21 am

Same issue, Roksbox died after last update

agnostic

Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:48 pm

Same thing as others, black screen. Removed and reinstalled roksbox and now after black screen it reboots my roku, wtf is going on?