Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ricbeeler

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Testing

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:25 pm

fluke wrote:
I don't think roksbox is being maintained anymore.

I haven't been able to login to the Roksbox/Wilddtech website for several months and attempting to use the "Forgot your password?" option just returns a SMTP connect() failed error.

The author of Roksbox, WilDD, has not been active in the Roku forums at all in 2019 despite the Roksbox website indicating the Roku forums is the only method of getting "personalized help."

I would recommend either attempting to use the official Roku Media Player if possible or look for some other alternative on the Roku channel store.

I have been using Roksbox for a long time also.  I noticed about a year ago that the program was buggy and tried to find out if anyone was fixing it. At that time, their website had gone dormant presumably they hadn't been paying their landlord.  A while later, last year a bunch of problems were fixed and it was working well.  I have recently purchased an ultra and am trying to set it up.  I can't seem to get it to take the web address for my local server.  Has anyone figured out how to do this???

ricbeeler

Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:17 pm

I uninstalled Roksbox from my new Ultra and it also removed it from my Roku3.  I was able to reload the web server information onto the Roku3, but not the Ultra.  Apparently, there is a difference that the Roksbox code doesn't take into account.  Waiting for a fix???

carllr

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:02 pm

I have 3 different Roku tvs all made by TCL. One loads up fine. One will only take the IP server addr but no the folder. The last one wont load anything.

Would really love to hear from the designer since its still being sold as a working App.

hhdbennett

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:13 pm

xstream updated!

version 4.4 just released.

to everyone frustrated by the program, i’ve had a quick email conversation with the developer. he/she’s a real person, definitely not a team of programmers.

hope the update works well!

Debstoy54

Thu May 23, 2019 3:18 pm

Mine still takes forever when I start up.  We have maybe 700-800 movies on our hard drive.  Until about 6 months ago it didn’t take nearly this long but now I almost don’t want to use it.  

Debstoy54

Wed May 29, 2019 9:15 pm

I have the latest Roku OS and Roksbox v4.5 and it takes forever to display my movies on both a 2nd gen Roku 2 XD and a 4th gen Roku Streaming Stick.  It was sometime around the end of last year that this slowdown started.  Before then it was pretty quick, similar to loading up Netflix.  Now it has me searching for alternatives.  I don’t want something that requires me to have a computer running as I frequently travel in my small RV and am able to just hook up my network hard drive to a travel router and I’m good to go.  I’d rather not switch from Roksbox but I’m hating how slow it’s become and there doesn’t seem to be any fix on the horizon.

ChrisAK

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:14 pm

I just upgraded from a Roku2 to Roku Ultra and am trying to get my roksbox setup going again. My server streams via https; it was hard to convince the roksbox to do this at all (don't type https in the URL, but specify the port as 443) and now it's complaining that I use a self-signed certificate. Of course I use a self-signed certificate for my local media server!

This wasn't a problem on the Roku2. What gives? Is there a way to override this?

fluke

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:43 pm

The strong enforcement of authenticating certificate signing is from a trusted certificate authority is a huge improvement.  Other platforms have allowed developers to turn off CA verification and in some cases resulted in applications being released in that insecure state (do a Google search for "FTC Fandango" for a fun read about this sort of thing).  Allowing unauthenticated certificates to be used for TLS encryption is leaving the connection open to a MITM attack (Man in the Middle) which defeats the purpose of using encryption.

Roku seems to have addressed this type of issue in modern versions of Roku OS.  I don't see any way in Brightscript for a channel developer to enable blindly trusting a self-signed certificate.  Instead, there is the option to trust an additional certificate authority file for the specific channel.  It would be up to the Roksbox author on if he wants to support using additional CA files in any future update to Roksbox.  It would probably involve having to copy the self created CA file in PEM format to a USB drive and then leaving that in the Roku every time you use Roksbox.

Ultimately, I think trying to get TLS working for a local network is not worth it.

If it is that important for you to do it, buy a domain and try using Let's Encrypt.  However, keep in mind that Roku does not use your local DNS server and probably will confirm the name in the URL matches the name in the CN or SAN field of the certificate.  So you will have to publish a DNS entry that the internet based DNS servers that Roku uses can locate.

Or, you can try just going to using unencrypted HTTP.

atc98092

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:28 pm

fluke wrote:
If it is that important for you to do it, buy a domain and try using Let's Encrypt.  However, keep in mind that Roku does not use your local DNS server and probably will confirm the name in the URL matches the name in the CN or SAN field of the certificate.  So you will have to publish a DNS entry that the internet based DNS servers that Roku uses can locate.

Or, you can try just going to using unencrypted HTTP.

And you can't publish your internal IP address to the public DNS servers, so that won't accomplish what he needs either. Now if you run a DNS server inside your network, and has that assigned by the DHCP server, you can add your internal IP address. But I agree that's way too much work for something that remains inside the firewall. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

fluke

Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Actually, you can publish intranet IP addressed to public DNS servers.  But the Let's Encrypt certbot in HTTP mode won't work because Let's Encrypt won't be able to reach the intranet IP.  Instead, it would require doing the DNS based challenge to renew the Let's Encrypt certificate each time. 

It looks like "GoGetSSL" has two year certificates for $8.

I still think going unencrypted makes the most sense when using Roksbox.

CthulhuSaves

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:37 am

Just bought this channel/app because it's the only one listed on Roku as being able to view media stored on Google Drive; exactly what I was looking for.

Problem is, it shuts down (drops back to Roku's main menu) the moment I begin the setup wizard. Once that's happened, just opening the app causes it to immediately close out. If I uninstall/reinstall it just puts things back to the beginning, and the wizard crashes it all over again.

Could really use some help here.