Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

WilDD
Topic Author

Re: Streamming Local Media Channel Available for Testing

Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:13 pm

pjoshua5000

I don't know what you mean here. Where do you need to put in the thumb nail picture? If you don't have any poster art, it will say retrieveing for the poster, but it should still work.

pjoshua5000

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:06 pm

WilDD wrote:
pjoshua5000

I don't know what you mean here. Where do you need to put in the thumb nail picture? If you don't have any poster art, it will say retrieveing for the poster, but it should still work.

What I mean was I try to get a video to show up, but their was not thumb nail picture add, and I did not see the title of the video, but when I when in and added one, it show up. Maybe it was just something else. Like the XML needing up dated.

Also have do we make sub categories. Like I can have TV, then under TV have Stargate, then under that the episodes.

WilDD
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:48 pm

pjoshua5000

Categories are created by adding genres. Each genre will show up as a category in roksbox. If you are using Personal Video Database, after you open your video file, click on the pencil icon at the top of the screen, then put something in for genre. Whatever you put for genre will appear as a category in roksbox. Then your video with any poster art will appear under that category (genre). You can also have multiple genres for one video seperated by commas. Like Action Adventure, Fantasy, SciFi. This would show up as three seperate categories in roksbox. In your case, unfortunately, you can only have one level of category. I would just use Stargate as a genre (you know it is TV anyway, or you could call the genre TV-Stargate). That would create a category in roksbox called Stargate, and your episodes would be under that. If you have five different episodes, code each one with a genre of Stargate, and they will all show up in roksbox under the category Stargate. If you can find some poster art for them you can add that to PVD, and it will show up in roksbox. That would look real nice. Try to google poster art stargate.

Actually, I just tried this in PVD. When you open your video in PVD, type Stargate for the Original Title, and PVD will find a lot of stuff for it. You can choose the episode you want.

pjoshua5000

Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:24 am

WilDD wrote:
pjoshua5000

Categories are created by adding genres. Each genre will show up as a category in roksbox. If you are using Personal Video Database, after you open your video file, click on the pencil icon at the top of the screen, then put something in for genre. Whatever you put for genre will appear as a category in roksbox. Then your video with any poster art will appear under that category (genre). You can also have multiple genres for one video seperated by commas. Like Action Adventure, Fantasy, SciFi. This would show up as three seperate categories in roksbox. In your case, unfortunately, you can only have one level of category. I would just use Stargate as a genre (you know it is TV anyway, or you could call the genre TV-Stargate). That would create a category in roksbox called Stargate, and your episodes would be under that. If you have five different episodes, code each one with a genre of Stargate, and they will all show up in roksbox under the category Stargate. If you can find some poster art for them you can add that to PVD, and it will show up in roksbox. That would look real nice. Try to google poster art stargate.

Actually, I just tried this in PVD. When you open your video in PVD, type Stargate for the Original Title, and PVD will find a lot of stuff for it. You can choose the episode you want.

SO only one level deep for the Categories. Maybe that will change some day. PVD gives me tones of art work for Stargate. Also I hope one day there will be a dedication app for steaming content from the Computer. One that acts like a web server but allows a GUI so you can organized your videos they you want.

wizzy1291

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:44 pm

I love the interface, but have had no luck getting the server and client to talk to one another. (Constant "invalid IP/XML file" error.)

I was able to play around with the live demo and liked it a lot. I will check out future versions, but I must reluctantly agree with those that have commented that the set-up is still a click or two too cumbersome in this release.

pjoshua5000

Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:23 pm

wizzy1291 wrote:
I love the interface, but have had no luck getting the server and client to talk to one another. (Constant "invalid IP/XML file" error.)

I was able to play around with the live demo and liked it a lot. I will check out future versions, but I must reluctantly agree with those that have commented that the set-up is still a click or two too cumbersome in this release.

Try removing the "80:80" from the IP address. (If work for me) And make sure its your computers id address. If possible go into the routes settings and assign a static IP address for you computer (or your computer's mac address). Also, like it suggests on the tutorial, go and try to connect to the web sever on a different computer.

WilDD
Topic Author

Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:20 pm

wizzy1291-

If you can tell me how your configuration is set up, I can probably help you get it working.

I will need to know how your web server is set up - did you use Mongoose, or something else?

Where are your media files located?

Also, I just updated the tutorial at http://roksbox.wikispaces.com/Tutorial with some advanced setup procedures for using aliases to identify your media files. It's not very difficult, and I can help you with it.

russws

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:38 am

pjoshua5000 wrote:
For those that might be having a problem try this.

My IP address is 192.168.1.101

I did not know why it was not working, but had a hunch of why, however I had to do my Work, and could not test my idea out. At first I thought it was that it did not see it. But then I try, taking away the ":80:80" and it work. SO instead of the

192.168.1.101:80:80

I change it to

Shouldn't that be 192.168.1.101:8080, not :80:80?

WilDD
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:57 pm

russws wrote:
pjoshua5000 wrote:

I did not know why it was not working, but had a hunch of why, however I had to do my Work, and could not test my idea out. At first I thought it was that it did not see it. But then I try, taking away the ":80:80" and it work. SO instead of the

I change it to

That's right. If you're using port 8080, then it should be 192.168.1.101:8080, not 80:80. If you're using port 80, then it can be 192.168.1.101:80, or just 192.168.1.101 without a port specified (80 is the default).

pjoshua5000

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:21 am

WilDD wrote:
russws wrote:
pjoshua5000 wrote:

I change it to

That's right. If you're using port 8080, then it should be 192.168.1.101:8080, not 80:80. If you're using port 80, then it can be 192.168.1.101:80, or just 192.168.1.101 without a port specified (80 is the default).

I thought that look wrong.

ugandy

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:45 am

WilDD wrote:
I have created a private channel which will stream local media files to your Roku player.

Thanks! Very well done!
I set it up and it was very easy. I specially like the fact that I only need the http server running on my windows machine (and mongoose is perfect).

A couple of issues that I suspect have to do with me choosing the wrong parameters in handbrake:

1) movie plays 5 minutes and then gets in a loop of "reloading" plays 2 secs, "reloading" plays 2 secs, ...
2) movie didn't play. shows length as 0min

if I'm converting a source from 1080 in handbrake, should I use the normal or high profile? what about other parameters i need to change for the 1080->720 downgrade? Maybe you could create a Roku profile for handbrake?

thanks!!!

cheers,
h

WilDD
Topic Author

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:08 pm

ugandy wrote:
WilDD wrote:
I have created a private channel which will stream local media files to your Roku player.

Thanks! Very well done!
I set it up and it was very easy. I specially like the fact that I only need the http server running on my windows machine (and mongoose is perfect).

A couple of issues that I suspect have to do with me choosing the wrong parameters in handbrake:

1) movie plays 5 minutes and then gets in a loop of "reloading" plays 2 secs, "reloading" plays 2 secs, ...
2) movie didn't play. shows length as 0min

if I'm converting a source from 1080 in handbrake, should I use the normal or high profile? what about other parameters i need to change for the 1080->720 downgrade? Maybe you could create a Roku profile for handbrake?

thanks!!!

cheers,
h

You might have to experiment a little to see what works best. I would start at setting the Average Bitrate to 1500 on the Video tab. That has always worked well for me.

ugandy

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:26 pm

WilDD wrote:
You might have to experiment a little to see what works best. I would start at setting the Average Bitrate to 1500 on the Video tab. That has always worked well for me.

working like a charm now. i use 1500 for SD and 2500 for HD and also set the 'web optimized' option.

it's really cool to see it work!

thanks!

h

pjoshua5000

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:35 am

I have a SD video streaming at about 4.5 mbps. (even though it reports it as 1.5) The quality looks good for the most part. A little snowing artifices on dark scenes, put that's probably because the roku is up-converting it to 720P. And you don't notice it that much is you are setting far enough from the TV. I'm not an expect on video quality, but I say it looks on par (or maybe a little better) than Netfix's videos. I still need to play around with the advance feature of handbrake to see if I can improve quality.

This is one of the best channel I have on the roku.

ironmb

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:15 am

Hi, I tested this last night and it looks good. I was able to set it up to use my NAS, without installing any web server on my home PC. I tested it with "Pigeon Impossible" mp4, and it worked fine. But other mp4 files from Handbrake did not play. They would start, but immediately return to to the summary screen. So when I click to play, I get a brief black screen, then back to the summary. Anything special I need to select in Handbrake?