Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

WilDD
Topic Author

Re: Streamming Local Media Channel Available for Testing

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:10 am

ironmb wrote:
Hi, I tested this last night and it looks good. I was able to set it up to use my NAS, without installing any web server on my home PC. I tested it with "Pigeon Impossible" mp4, and it worked fine. But other mp4 files from Handbrake did not play. They would start, but immediately return to to the summary screen. So when I click to play, I get a brief black screen, then back to the summary. Anything special I need to select in Handbrake?

Start by setting the Average Bitrate to 1500 on the Video tab, and experiment from there to see what kind of quality you can get.

philsoft made this suggestion on another thread:

Videos must be encoded to fairly exact standards
try 720x480 mp4
1500kbs video
44100 audio at 192kbsphilsoft

JC77

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:03 pm

I'm having a little trouble too.

I load the Roksbox channel. I have the XML file in the Videos folder only, that's all i'm trying to play. When I go to "My Videos", the Roksbox logo says on the screen for a long time. I keep getting the "XML file is not properly structured" or something similar to that (Roku is not in front of me right now).

When I go to the Music or Photos area, where there is no XML file, I get the error message much quicker, which leads me to believe it's reading the Videos XML file.

My IP is 192.168.1.2 (when i type this exactly into my browser, I get the root Media directory). I opened up port 80 on my router and even on Windows firewall.

I'm doing everything in the tutorial, no name changing when it comes to the folder names, etc. I'm using Mongoose and Handbrake. I went into Roksbox settings, and I do have the correct IP address as the server address.

I did reboot the computer after installing Mongoose, and I even did a CTRL-ALT-DEL, and saw that Mongoose is running in the background.

Any suggestions?

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:16 pm

JC77 wrote:

I load the Roksbox channel. I have the XML file in the Videos folder only, that's all i'm trying to play. When I go to "My Videos", the Roksbox logo says on the screen for a long time. I keep getting the "XML file is not properly structured" or something similar to that (Roku is not in front of me right now).

I had the same issue at first. In my case it was antivirus software that was silently blocking mongoose from accessing the network.

JC77

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Hmm....I have to look into that. Which virus program are you using? I have MS Security Essentials.

philsoft

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:31 pm

JC77 wrote:
Hmm....I have to look into that. Which virus program are you using? I have MS Security Essentials.

I use "Charter Security Suite" free from my ISP.

pjoshua5000

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:26 pm

JC77 wrote:

When I go to the Music or Photos area, where there is no XML file, I get the error message much quicker, which leads me to believe it's reading the Videos XML file.

My IP is 192.168.1.2 (when i type this exactly into my browser, I get the root Media directory). I opened up port 80 on my router and even on Windows firewall.

I'm doing everything in the tutorial, no name changing when it comes to the folder names, etc. I'm using Mongoose and Handbrake. I went into Roksbox settings, and I do have the correct IP address as the server address.

I did reboot the computer after installing Mongoose, and I even did a CTRL-ALT-DEL, and saw that Mongoose is running in the background.

IF you are talking about that black screen with the works "Roksbox" I have the same problem. But all I do is click left or right, then up and it goes out then it goes into the selection screen.
Last edited by pjoshua5000 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vbathory

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:25 pm

thanks for you hard work on making this app works really well but i have one problem the artwork is not showing up for my movies i did everything like you said in the tutorial but it only asks me to pick the artwork once not twice like you said it did in the tutorial for the avatar trailer.

JC77

Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:02 am

pjoshua5000 wrote:
JC77 wrote:
IF you are talking about that black screen with the works "Roksbox" I have the same problem. But all I do is click left or right, then up and it goes out then it goes into the selection screen.

Yep, that's the screen. I'm going to have to try that out.

WilDD
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:41 am

JC77 wrote:

Any suggestions?

Usually when Roksbox hesitates for a long time after entering My Videos, it means that it is being block from your web server. If you have another computer on your network, enter your ip address into a web browser on that machine and see what happens. You can also temporarily turn you firewall off and try Roksbox. If it works, then you know your firewall is blocking it. You shouldn't need to open port 80 on your router, but you might need to allow http on your firewall.

WilDD
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:44 am

JC77 wrote:
pjoshua5000 wrote:
JC77 wrote:

Yep, that's the screen. I'm going to have to try that out.

This might clear the roksbox logo screen, but it really shouldn't have anything to do with making it work.

WilDD
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:49 am

vbathory wrote:
thanks for you hard work on making this app works really well but i have one problem the artwork is not showing up for my movies i did everything like you said in the tutorial but it only asks me to pick the artwork once not twice like you said it did in the tutorial for the avatar trailer.

You might need to clear it completely out or Personal Video Database and add it back in. Get into PVD, and right click on Avatar on the left side of the screen. Click Delete, then hold the Ctrl key down and click Yes. This will completely remove it from the PVD database. Then add it back in.

JC77

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:07 am

WilDD wrote:
Usually when Roksbox hesitates for a long time after entering My Videos, it means that it is being block from your web server. If you have another computer on your network, enter your ip address into a web browser on that machine and see what happens. You can also temporarily turn you firewall off and try Roksbox. If it works, then you know your firewall is blocking it. You shouldn't need to open port 80 on your router, but you might need to allow http on your firewall.

I don't have another computer on the network. Just to see if it would work, I used the Nintendo DS web browser to see if I can get into the network, and it worked perfectly.

I'm going to try disabling the firewall. The only firewall I'm using is Windows Firewall. How would I go about allowing http? I'm not all that experienced when it comes to that.

Edit: Tried disabling Firewall. No change at all.

Question, would the video file settings cause this to freeze at the Roksbox screen?

philsoft

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:23 am

JC77 wrote:
Question, would the video file settings cause this to freeze at the Roksbox screen?

No, but a missing XML file or router firewall could.

JC77

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:12 pm

The XML file is definitely there. I have the media server IP as the same exact IP address (192.168.1.2). This address works fine for both my PC, and my Nintendo DS. Both points to the media root folder perfectly.

Let me fool around with the router settings, see if I can get it working.

philsoft

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:16 pm

JC77 wrote:
The XML file is definitely there. I have the media server IP as the same exact IP address (192.168.1.2). This address works fine for both my PC, and my Nintendo DS. Both points to the media root folder perfectly.

Let me fool around with the router settings, see if I can get it working.

I DO have the server IP static and in the DMZ.