Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

WilDD
Topic Author

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:50 pm

broy55 wrote:
I'm stuck with an issue using Apache. I've run out of space on my local Hard Drive, so I want to use space on my NAS. I've setup a network link from my NAS, but how do I add this location with Apache? I've tried adding an alias to the network share, but it doesn't work.

This is what I have in the config file

DocumentRoot "F:/www"
Alias /nas/ "//dlink-dvr/Volume_1/Movies"

If I browse to http://localhost/nas I get nothing. Am I missing something?

Try this:

<IfModule alias_module>

Alias /nas //dlink-dvr/Volume_1/Movies

<Directory //dlink-dvr/Volume_1/Movies>
  Options Indexes MultiViews
  AllowOverride None
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>

</IfModule>

Or as krisbee said, you can create a symbolik link.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

broy55

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:18 pm

I've already tried all that, it still doesn't work. I don't think anyone has gotten this to work with Windows NTFS file system.

broy55

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:25 pm

I stand corrected, I didn't try the <IfModule alias_module>, and that fixed it. Thank you very much!

Zudnic

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:19 am

When I load Roksbox for the first time on my XD, it tells me to run a software update. But it fails saying "the software update server could not be reached. there may be a problem with your network" - code 005. When I use the secret screen to force an update there says there are no available ones.
The roku is working fine otherwise, and Roksboxis working great on my other roku.

The one that is acting up is version 013.01E01027A , 16 august 2012. There is precious little on the interwebs about this error 005.

Thanks for any help!

Zudnic

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:31 am

I am embarrassed to say that the resolution to this problem was a simple reboot of my router.

For the benefit of anyone else who may come by, I have a late-2010 vintage XD, Model 2050X, on Version 3.1 build 1027; using Verizon FIOS Actiontec router MI424WR.

rickabillie

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:06 pm

Has anybody had any luck with with a Tonido plug (2) and Roku via Roksbox?
/R

WilDD
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:27 pm

rickabillie wrote:
Has anybody had any luck with with a Tonido plug (2) and Roku via Roksbox?
/R

The TonidoPlug would need to run a webserver. If it has an option to turn on or start a webserver, that should work. Otherwise, there might be a way to install a webserver such as Apache on it.

If you can get a webserver running on it so that you can access your media files directly from a web browser, then there is a good chance it will work with Roksbox.

beau808

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:53 pm

.srt subtitles do not appear
-------------------------------

I have three videos in my video folder. The videos play fine; I have a 'videos.xml' with the movie metadata and an images subdirectory with poster jpgs. The Roksbox interface processes all of this information flawlessly... Using my browser, I can navigate to my servers video folder (exactly as specified in the Roksbox setup) and all files appear and are accessible. I am running Apache 2.2 on mac Mountain Lion.

All three videos have '.srt' subtitle files in the same directory as the videos with the same name as the video to which they pertain. Roksbox is set up to display subtitles by default and when I view the videos I insure the 'subtitle on' button is set. All are encoded in utf-8 and work with vlc.

THE BOTTOM LINE: one video's subtitles appear, the other two do NOT.

I have tried _everything_ I can think of and have come up dry. Does anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Has anyone run into a similar problem?

Aloha, Beau.

>>>EDIT Wed Feb 20 20:44:28 HST 2013<<<

...upon further testing, adding a newline character to the end of the subtitle file, as several of you have reported, fixed my issues. This, on the surface, seems to be something that would be easy to fix in Roksbox. Is it on a to-do list somewhere?

Aloha, Beau.

krisbee

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:37 am

Beau,

I had this happen too.. I wish I could remember the program, but there is some program that you can run the .srts through that seem to "fix" them - even though there is no logical reason or difference that I can see. They should just work, but they don't.

Here is a post here:
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26058&p=327913&hilit=.srt+work#p327913

I think the program was Subtitle Workshop...

beau808

Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:13 am

krisbee,

Actually, you don't need any kind of special program at all to fix the subtitle problem!

.srt files contain lines of plain text in the following format:

<blank line(s)>
<subtitle number>
<start time> --> <end time>
<one or more lines of text>
<blank line(s)>

Here is the end of an actual .srt file that works fine:

<blank line>
01:46:21,625 --> 01:46:25,962
Chloe, don't worry, it's just God punishing
you 'cause you're a ginger.
<blank line>
01:46:27,548 --> 01:46:28,923
(ALL LAUGHING)
<blank line>

The Roksbox software that processes the subtitles _insists_ on strict adherence to this format or refuses to show the subtitle (with no error indication)!

For example, Roksbox will NOT show the following subtitle because it is missing a blank line after the last subtitle:

<blank line>
<blank line>
(ALL LAUGHING)

Likewise the following will not be shown because the last subtitle has no text (even though it is followed by a blank line):

<blank line>
<blank line>
<blank line>

THE FIX:

1. Open the .srt in a NON FORMATTING text editor (i.e.: TextEdit on Mac, NotePad on Windows)
2. Navigate to the bottom of the file
3. Add a blank line to the end if it is missing
4. Delete the subtitle if there is no text
5. Save and test

I have ALL my subtitles working fine using this simple technique.

Aloha, Beau.

beau808

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:19 am

Hi -

I am a bit confused (again ;-)). I have subtitles for all my movies. When I navigate to a movie without a movie sheet, I get the following menu:

resume at ... [if I have played it previously]
play
subtitles on[off]
exit

But when I use a movie sheet I get

play
exit

I have the global option for subtitles set on. I have tried several different movie sheets but none of them allow me to control subtitles on/off at the movie level.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Aloha, Beau.

WilDD
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:54 pm

beau808 wrote:
Hi -

I am a bit confused (again ;-)). I have subtitles for all my movies. When I navigate to a movie without a movie sheet, I get the following menu:

play
subtitles on[off]
exit

But when I use a movie sheet I get

play
exit

I have the global option for subtitles set on. I have tried several different movie sheets but none of them allow me to control subtitles on/off at the movie level.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Aloha, Beau.

Yeah, it looks like I need to add subtitles on[off] to movie sheets. I'll make sure that gets added to the next release.

beau808

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:47 pm

Thanks WilDD!

wayloncovil

Automatically Ingest TV Shows

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:52 pm

I'm planning on getting a TV tuner card that will transcode directly to H.264.
Probably this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... Qgod8AMAOQ

I'm wanting Roksbox to be able to list the tv shows in it's directory without me having to go create an entry in the directory on the server each time after my computer records something.
I want to get to a point where I can setup my recordings on the computer and after they're done go to Roksbox and watch them.

Any initial thoughts on how to get there?

krisbee

Re: Automatically Ingest TV Shows

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:09 am

wayloncovil wrote:
I'm planning on getting a TV tuner card that will transcode directly to H.264.
Probably this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... Qgod8AMAOQ

I'm wanting Roksbox to be able to list the tv shows in it's directory without me having to go create an entry in the directory on the server each time after my computer records something.
I want to get to a point where I can setup my recordings on the computer and after they're done go to Roksbox and watch them.

Any initial thoughts on how to get there?

Yeah, that just happens - you just point your webserver to that record folder and they will show up.. Really has nothing to do with roksbox... I do this all the time.