Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

JSW

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Testing

Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:25 am

jchallen wrote:
JSW, like you, I was running the old version of Roksbox. Here's how to get the latest: sign in to your Roku account in a web browser, choose "Add A Channel" and enter code CU2SC. It'all install the latest "Roksbox Cloud" which is slightly different than the old plain "Roksbox" app. Works perfectly and somehow got all the settings from my old Roksbox channel without having to set it up again.  No more format detected, startup progress, etc.

Hi jchallen,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I added the Roksbox Cloud channel and all my Rokus are running fine now (including my Roku 3). No messages at all during video playback. The cloud version detected all my settings as well, so a very simple setup. Thanks again!

weisborg

Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:21 pm

I didn't see much structure here, so I guess we just post questions? Help for Roksbox just says to come here too, so here it goes-

I had tested the software before, but ended up going with Chaneru and the built in Roku one for my DLNA server on my router. I decided to get the xstream version too since it seemed to be the all inclusive version, and round out my capabilities plus other streaming options. It plays videos and mp3 well, but doesn't seem to like my m4a/aac audio files that the others play fine. Most of my videos use that format of audio too and it plays those fine. Is there something that can be done to allow them to play?

jonathanknez

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:19 am

I reread your instructions jchallen and it worked. I now have Roksbox clound installed and it works great. I am very happy to have Roksbox back again.

bwaslo

Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:01 pm

OK.  I'm an idiot.

I've been playing flac music files, from my Kodi box in another room, through the Roku Media Player, but that had decided about a month ago to freeze with "malformed data" errors every few songs now.  So I noticed this thread about roksbox on the forum.  I added the roksbox cloud channel to my Roku, and hey (!!) it found my Kodi box!.  I went through the setup wizard, where it wanted me to setup folders for video, music and photos.  I just took the defaults (it actually never showed me any folder names that seemed relevant, so stayed with /root).  Then selected music....

....and it sat at "Parsing directory structure" overnight (for more than 10 hours!).  Tried to get out of that this morning via the remote's <------- (back) arrow, where it jumped to a screen which helpfully sat showing "working" (nothing moving, just the word sitting there).  After about an hour of that, I tried a further back arrow, but nothing happened.  The Home button on the remote finally got me out of Roksbox Cloud.

So, the obvious question is: can roksbox stream out from a wireless connected Kodi box (which the roksbox indicates it can see)?  Should I have waited for more than 10 hours to "Parse" the directory structure?  Am I misunderstanding what the roksbox does altogether?  I went to the roksbox's web site, and see that it makes no mention of working with Kodi (it gives info to install a roksbox server on a Linux, Windows, Apple or NAS system).  I only want a (working) alternative to the now-uncooperative Roku Media Player, preferably with a better user interface, maybe the roksbox can't do that?

Any advice or clarification (other than "don't be such an idiot!) would be appreciated!

CarolinaRIII

Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:49 pm

jchallen wrote:
JSW, like you, I was running the old version of Roksbox. Here's how to get the latest: sign in to your Roku account in a web browser, choose "Add A Channel" and enter code CU2SC. It'all install the latest "Roksbox Cloud" which is slightly different than the old plain "Roksbox" app. Works perfectly and somehow got all the settings from my old Roksbox channel without having to set it up again.  No more format detected, startup progress, etc.

This has solved the problem of the popup errors. However, now some of my videos no longer play audio. They used to but not anymore. Any suggestions?
Thank for any help.
CarolinaRIII

haggisbingo

Ultra upgrade- No video from Roksbox!

Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:24 am

The Roku Ultra has been a great upgrade except for Roksbox Cloud which is not showing video (only audio) for movies!  All of these movies had worked fine on Roku 3s using the latest Roksbox Cloud.  They're encoded using handbrake and are at 720p.

Any idea why RoksBox Cloud is not showing the video?  (it is actually playing, but just audio and no video display, just a blank screen)

Thank you!

P.S.  
Oddly enough, the old version of Roksbox plays the videos fine on the Roku Ultra..  It just has the old annoying pop-up message.  Glad I didn't remove that channel yet!

debro1114

Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:03 am

My Roksbox is acting the same with Roku Ultra. Get audio but only a black screen shows - no video. Worked fine for many years until I bought the Ultra. Of note, Roksbox is still working fine with my older Roku in the bedrooms, a Roku 2 and a Roku 3. Also - the Emby, Plex and My Media channels all work fine with the Ultra/Samsung 4k setup. I have the Ultra connected to my Samsung 4K HD tv - the 70" 6300 model and I bought new 18m HDMI cables. I have tried everything - unhooking connects/unplugging and then re-connecting all in the order suggested by many here. I have switched out the HDMI cables ( 4 of them with 2 being one brand and 2 being another brand - all 2.2/18m). Someone suggested updating the Roksbox channel - which I did - and also paid for one of the other Roksbox channels, just in case - nada. My TV software just updated and made no difference; my Ultra updated to the 7.5 and it made no difference either. I see you said it works on the "old" Roksbox channel - which I had but no longer do. Anyone know how to get the old Roksbox back - the original one before they came out with the "cloud" one? (I assume that is the one you are referring to???). Any suggestions, ideas, etc will be appreciated.

haggisbingo

Cannot Register - 30 days running out

Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:27 am

Upgraded to Roku Ultra.  Apparently, Roksbox did NOT recognize my previous license and is prompting me to register\activate again.  Which is fine, BUT, when I go to the site to login, register, etc with my previous login, it says:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reset password failed: This user is blocked. If this is an error, please contact an administrator.

Please enter the email address for your account. A verification code will be sent to you. Once you have received the verification code, you will be able to choose a new password for your account.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have NO idea why I'm blocked.  What should I do?

debro1114

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:52 am

debro1114 wrote:
My Roksbox is acting the same with Roku Ultra. Get audio but only a black screen shows - no video. Worked fine for many years until I bought the Ultra. Of note, Roksbox is still working fine with my older Roku in the bedrooms, a Roku 2 and a Roku 3. Also - the Emby, Plex and My Media channels all work fine with the Ultra/Samsung 4k setup. I have the Ultra connected to my Samsung 4K HD tv - the 70" 6300 model and I bought new 18m HDMI cables. I have tried everything - unhooking connects/unplugging and then re-connecting all in the order suggested by many here. I have switched out the HDMI cables ( 4 of them with 2 being one brand and 2 being another brand - all 2.2/18m). Someone suggested updating the Roksbox channel - which I did - and also paid for one of the other Roksbox channels, just in case - nada. My TV software just updated and made no difference; my Ultra updated to the 7.5 and it made no difference either. I see you said it works on the "old" Roksbox channel - which I had but no longer do. Anyone know how to get the old Roksbox back - the original one before they came out with the "cloud" one? (I assume that is the one you are referring to???). Any suggestions, ideas, etc will be appreciated.

Bump - nobody with any resolution on this? Thx.

viktorgfx

Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:41 pm

Same here my roksbox only shows black screen but with sound, i have a roku plus

mattpotthoff

Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:12 pm

I have been using Roksbox for years with a usb drive and xml file with no problems.  My old Roku XR just died so I got a Roku 3.  Now, none of my video files will play on Roksbox or Roksbox Cloud.  I get this error message: "unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected."  When I don't use the xml file then the videos will play.  Why doesn't it work anymore?

haggisbingo

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:12 pm

Any update on the various problems?  If RoksBox cloud won't work on the latest Roku Ultra, is Roksbox kaput??

Can the developer be contacted at all?

haggisbingo

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:06 am

can't even register this product.... after 30 day trial.  The software doesn't work, no developer support, etc

I wish Roku would make sure developers like Roksbox are legitimate.  Using this product is like banging your head up against a wall..

haggisbingo

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:11 am

Time to take a good look at PLEX....

Markp

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:30 am

With the new Roku remote app update you can stream all your media from your phone to tv seamlessly. Great innovation.