Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

haggisbingo

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Testing

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:36 am

Missing Roksbox .  Has anyone actually purchased Roksbox Cloud lately (like the last few months)????

I have installed PLEX to take Roksbox's place.  And......PLEX is buffering all over the place - very annoying!  I had roksbox running all over a 3 level house with NO buffering at all....

I'm tempted to jump in and fulfill this need for a basic streamer that works with a web server... IF THERE REALLY IS NO MORE ROKSBOX... please someone let me know...

Buzzard1999

Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:21 pm

I used to use roksbox and loved it.  Then WillDD seemed to abandon it completely. 

I for one would love an alternative to the Roku Media Player.  I don't need uber-fancy - just something that works and looks good.  If you could replicate roksbox and have it work with my WDMyCloud, I'd pay for the channel.

haggisbingo

Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:37 am

Buzzard1999 wrote:
I used to use roksbox and loved it.  Then WillDD seemed to abandon it completely. 

I for one would love an alternative to the Roku Media Player.  I don't need uber-fancy - just something that works and looks good.  If you could replicate roksbox and have it work with my WDMyCloud, I'd pay for the channel.

I PM'd WillDD and he's fixing the problem on the Ultra.
PLEX is a big letdown.  We literally had to adjust the video setting for each movie... just ridiculous.  
Roksbox handled ALL of those same videos (MP4s) with no problem, playing immediately and no buffering.  Furthermore, a 15 year old Windows 2000 computer running IIS is handling all of this - with no problem!  The PLEX  server is running on my personal computer (which has 8 processors) and it's giving PLEX everything.  But it's still BUFFERING......

haggisbingo

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:35 am

From WilDD:

"I have the fix for Roksbox on the Roku Ultra. If you have the Cloud version, you can force an update and get the fix. With any of the other Roksbox versions, you will unfortunately have to wait until it goes through the Roku approval process, which can take a week or longer.
Thanks again for your patience. I wish I could have gotten this fixed sooner.
Let me know if you see anything else that isn't working right."

navilor

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:44 pm

haggisbingo wrote:
Buzzard1999 wrote:

I PM'd WillDD and he's fixing the problem on the Ultra.
PLEX is a big letdown.  We literally had to adjust the video setting for each movie... just ridiculous.  
Roksbox handled ALL of those same videos (MP4s) with no problem, playing immediately and no buffering.  Furthermore, a 15 year old Windows 2000 computer running IIS is handling all of this - with no problem!  The PLEX  server is running on my personal computer (which has 8 processors) and it's giving PLEX everything.  But it's still BUFFERING......

A) Turn off transcoding on PLEX and it will lower your CPU usage to almost zero. I have Plex installed as a plugin on my FreeNAS box that has a very underpowered CPU for video encoding. I never get buffering or low quality playback. The CPU is effectively idle when watching a movie.

B) Plex uses the TvDB format for episodes and the TmDB format for movies. I had to change the names of all of my Loony Tunes mp4 files as well as the directory structure to accommodate that.

C) If you had to adjust the video settings for each movie then there may be a problem with your content. I've been in the streaming media industry since 2008 and improperly encoded content is one of the biggest problems I see.

When you are encoding content for streaming, which is what both Roksbox and Plex deliver, it is vital that you do a few things.

1) Make sure that your keyframes are aligned as this helps with segmented content having equally sized segments. This also helps to switch renditions when using Adaptive Bitrate (ABR) content. Keyframe distance is also known as a Group of Pictures or GOP. A small portion of ancient content that I have does not have keyframes properly aligned and they still play back.

2) Make sure that you are converting your content to the proper color space for streaming media.

3) Make sure that your content is encoded to either a constant bitrate or average bitrate. Encoding content using a variable bitrate or Constant Rate Factor (CRF) is anathema for streaming media. VBR and CRF will create unpredictable segment sizes and the bitrate variance will be unpredictable on your network. Please note that delivering CRF content or VBR content via either Plex or Roksbox works.

4) Make sure that your framerate is constant. Having a variable frame rate come out of your encoder will break most forms of segmented content delivery as well as ABR delivery. The x264 implementation of the H.264 video codec will by default create keyframes when it detects a scene change.

I use FFmpeg on Windows for converting my content and drive it with a heavily documented 1,600 line bash shell script I wrote that runs under Cygwin. You will need to adjust your frame rate and bitrate accordingly in the sample two pass command lines below. You should also check for soft telecine if you convert DVD VOB files to MP4. If you do not do that then you may experience judder.

ffmpeg -i inputfile.mp4 -pix_fmt yuv420p -vsync 1 -vcodec libx264 -r 23.976 -threads 0 -b:v: 1024k -bufsize 1024k -maxrate 1024k -minrate 1024k -preset medium -profile:v high -tune film -g 48 -x264opts no-scenecut:ratetol=0.01 -acodec aac -b:a 192k -ac 2 -ar 48000 -af "aresample=async=1:min_hard_comp=0.100000:first_pts=0" -pass 1 -f mp4 -y outputfile.mp4

ffmpeg -i inputfile.mp4 -pix_fmt yuv420p -vsync 1 -vcodec libx264 -r 23.976 -threads 0 -b:v: 1024k -bufsize 1024k -maxrate 1024k -minrate 1024k -preset medium -profile:v high -tune film -g 48 -x264opts no-scenecut:ratetol=0.01 -acodec aac -b:a 192k -ac 2 -ar 48000 -af "aresample=async=1:min_hard_comp=0.100000:first_pts=0" -pass 2 -f mp4 -y outputfile.mp4

-g 48 will define a GOP of 48 frames to create a two second GOP for that 23.976fps content. This works in conjunction with the no-scenecut option below.

-x264opts no-scenecut will force keyframes to be created per the GOP value that FFmpeg uses. The default for libx264 is to create a keyframe when it detects a scene change. If you inspect an output file with MediaInfo you will see "scenecut=40". When done properly that will be zero "scenecut=0". If this option is not used then keyframes will be misaligned for ABR content and segment sizes will be unpredictable.

The libx264 option "ratetol=0.01" will force a very strict constant bitrate, so much so that libx264 will complain and adjust accordingly. This is optional.

-af "aresample=async=1:min_hard_comp=0.100000:first_pts=0" helps to keep your audio lined up with the beginning of your video. It is common for a container to have the beginning of the video and the beginning of the audio start at different points. By using this your container should have little to no audio drift or offset.

Now why two pass encoding? Perform a test CRF 21 encode of your content using the veryfast preset and the baseline profile then do the same with the medium preset and the high profile. Both files will be the same quality but the file encoded using the medium preset and the high profile will be smaller due to the higher levels of compression.

Use the bitrate (or BPP or bit per pixel density) of the baseline profile output file and then do a two pass encode using the medium preset and high profile. This will create a file that is within one percent of the size as your baseline CRF 21, have the same BPP as the baseline file, but have an effective CRF quality value around 19.54. My script does a CRF 21 baseline encode, grabs the BPP value, and then performs a two pass encode using those settings. You can also find a deeper explanation of that process I perform on my video blog here. There is also an article from the Streaming Learning Center where Jan Ozer references multiple methods of calculating a better bitrate, including the method I mention on my blog.

haggisbingo

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:13 am

navilor wrote:
A) Turn off transcoding on PLEX and it will lower your CPU usage to almost zero. I have Plex installed as a plugin on my FreeNAS box that has a very underpowered CPU for video encoding. I never get buffering or low quality playback. The CPU is effectively idle when watching a movie.

B) Plex uses the TvDB format for episodes and the TmDB format for movies. I had to change the names of all of my Loony Tunes mp4 files as well as the directory structure to accommodate that.

C) If you had to adjust the video settings for each movie then there may be a problem with your content. I've been in the streaming media industry since 2008 and improperly encoded content is one of the biggest problems I see.

When you are encoding content for streaming, which is what both Roksbox and Plex deliver, it is vital that you do a few things.

1) Make sure that your keyframes are aligned as this helps with segmented content having equally sized segments. This also helps to switch renditions when using Adaptive Bitrate (ABR) content. Keyframe distance is also known as a Group of Pictures or GOP. A small portion of ancient content that I have does not have keyframes properly aligned and they still play back.

2) Make sure that you are converting your content to the proper color space for streaming media.

3) Make sure that your content is encoded to either a constant bitrate or average bitrate. Encoding content using a variable bitrate or Constant Rate Factor (CRF) is anathema for streaming media. VBR and CRF will create unpredictable segment sizes and the bitrate variance will be unpredictable on your network. Please note that delivering CRF content or VBR content via either Plex or Roksbox works.

4) Make sure that your framerate is constant. Having a variable frame rate come out of your encoder will break most forms of segmented content delivery as well as ABR delivery. The x264 implementation of the H.264 video codec will by default create keyframes when it detects a scene change.

I use FFmpeg on Windows for converting my content and drive it with a heavily documented 1,600 line bash shell script I wrote that runs under Cygwin. You will need to adjust your frame rate and bitrate accordingly in the sample two pass command lines below. You should also check for soft telecine if you convert DVD VOB files to MP4. If you do not do that then you may experience judder.

ffmpeg -i inputfile.mp4 -pix_fmt yuv420p -vsync 1 -vcodec libx264 -r 23.976 -threads 0 -b:v: 1024k -bufsize 1024k -maxrate 1024k -minrate 1024k -preset medium -profile:v high -tune film -g 48 -x264opts no-scenecut:ratetol=0.01 -acodec aac -b:a 192k -ac 2 -ar 48000 -af "aresample=async=1:min_hard_comp=0.100000:first_pts=0" -pass 1 -f mp4 -y outputfile.mp4

ffmpeg -i inputfile.mp4 -pix_fmt yuv420p -vsync 1 -vcodec libx264 -r 23.976 -threads 0 -b:v: 1024k -bufsize 1024k -maxrate 1024k -minrate 1024k -preset medium -profile:v high -tune film -g 48 -x264opts no-scenecut:ratetol=0.01 -acodec aac -b:a 192k -ac 2 -ar 48000 -af "aresample=async=1:min_hard_comp=0.100000:first_pts=0" -pass 2 -f mp4 -y outputfile.mp4

-g 48 will define a GOP of 48 frames to create a two second GOP for that 23.976fps content. This works in conjunction with the no-scenecut option below.

-x264opts no-scenecut will force keyframes to be created per the GOP value that FFmpeg uses. The default for libx264 is to create a keyframe when it detects a scene change. If you inspect an output file with MediaInfo you will see "scenecut=40". When done properly that will be zero "scenecut=0". If this option is not used then keyframes will be misaligned for ABR content and segment sizes will be unpredictable.

The libx264 option "ratetol=0.01" will force a very strict constant bitrate, so much so that libx264 will complain and adjust accordingly. This is optional.

-af "aresample=async=1:min_hard_comp=0.100000:first_pts=0" helps to keep your audio lined up with the beginning of your video. It is common for a container to have the beginning of the video and the beginning of the audio start at different points. By using this your container should have little to no audio drift or offset.

Now why two pass encoding? Perform a test CRF 21 encode of your content using the veryfast preset and the baseline profile then do the same with the medium preset and the high profile. Both files will be the same quality but the file encoded using the medium preset and the high profile will be smaller due to the higher levels of compression.

Use the bitrate (or BPP or bit per pixel density) of the baseline profile output file and then do a two pass encode using the medium preset and high profile. This will create a file that is within one percent of the size as your baseline CRF 21, have the same BPP as the baseline file, but have an effective CRF quality value around 19.54. My script does a CRF 21 baseline encode, grabs the BPP value, and then performs a two pass encode using those settings. You can also find a deeper explanation of that process I perform on my video blog here. There is also an article from the Streaming Learning Center where Jan Ozer references multiple methods of calculating a better bitrate, including the method I mention on my blog.

THanks !! for the great detailed explanation

cem1701

Wed May 03, 2017 2:02 pm

Hello, I am hoping you can help me. I have used Roksbox for Dropbox for years and loved it. About a week ago it stopped working. Now matter what observation as my root folder, it cannot find any files to play. Please help.

js787

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:38 pm

cem1701 wrote:
Hello, I am hoping you can help me. I have used Roksbox for Dropbox for years and loved it. About a week ago it stopped working. Now matter what observation as my root folder, it cannot find any files to play. Please help.

This is happening to me too.  I change the root folder and it keeps telling me no media is found and use the set up wizard.  WillDD can you help?

js787

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:44 pm

js787 wrote:
cem1701 wrote:

This is happening to me too.  I change the root folder and it keeps telling me no media is found and use the set up wizard.  WillDD can you help?

Pretty sure the problem is just with the root folder.  I put in my entire dropbox folder as the root folder and was able to find my movie folder.

kellison94544

Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:30 am

I just encountered the "No files found." error message, also, when using Dropbox as my media server in Roksbox Cloud. The problem has to do with the video root folder. Roksbox Cloud will not accept anything you specify other than the Dropbox root folder. Then you have to search through all your other Dropbox subfolders to get to the videos you want to see. Before this problem happened, I could specify the video subfolder in Dropbox directly. I hope this is fixed soon.

tsbrennan

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Up until earlier this week I was able to stream all of my videos from DropBox through Roksbox Cloud. Then it stopped working and tells me that after parsing my directory structure (which has not changed), it can no longer find any of my media files. I had the channel pointing to a specific folder within Dropbox from which I wanted to stream video. The channel no longer seems to recognize this. If the channel requires me to start from the root directory in Dropbox, it's generally useless to me, as I don't want to expose all of my Dropbox files to other people in my household.

I then purchased and installed, successively, Roksbox X Stream and Roksbox for Dropbox, thinking that there was some change to the software or an update that I'd missed. I then went through the setup for each of them and the same error happened on both X Stream and Roksbox for Dropbox. I then tried to use Roksbox Cloud again and found that the Option menu had disappeared.

I have now purchased and installed four different versions of Roksbox and still cannot stream video from Dropbox. All I wanted was for the channel to keep working as it had been up until Sunday or Monday of this week. What happened, and how can I get it to work properly?

tsbrennan

Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:25 pm

Does anybody from Roksbox actually read this board? The wilddtech.com site says to come here for tech support. I am hoping that there will actually be tech support here -- nothing has changed for the Roksbox X-Stream, Cloud, Dropbox or Google Drive versions I bought and have installed on my Roku, they still can't find any files (even the same files stored elsewhere in Dropbox) anywhere but in the root of my Dropbox directory. Before -- a week or two ago -- Roksbox Cloud had no trouble parsing my directory structure and finding and playing all of my video files. I don't know if something has changed in Dropbox or in the Roku firmware, but no Roksbox channel seems to be aware of whatever it was that changed. I hope this can be remedied very soon.

jerswing

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:41 pm

Roksbox newbie here ...
Can't even get thru Setup ... Clicking on "Setup Wizard" consistently kicks me out to Roku** Home screen!?!  ...  Whaaaa??

Attempted to Register at http://wilddtech.com/roksbox/home/ -- but after entering required data, get this CRAP @Submit:
"Warning / The email address you entered is already in use or invalid. Please enter another email address" ...  Once again, WTH??

Just wanted to be able to play H.264 .MP4 movie from USB plugged into Roku, but Roku Media Player fell on its face!

Please Help!   Anyone??
----
** Roku 2XS w/Roksbox Cloud [private] Channel installed
----
FWIW -- Video specs follow:
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media
Codec ID                                 : isom
File size                                : 23.2 GiB
Duration                                 : 2h 0mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 27.7 Mbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2013-09-05 03:21:12
Tagged date                              : UTC 2013-09-05 03:21:12
Writing application                      : Lavf51.12.1

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : Baseline@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : No
Format settings, ReFrames                : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=12
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 27.5 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 33.0 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 30.000 fps
Original frame rate                      : 24.000 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.443
Stream size                              : 23.1 GiB (99%)

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                           : LC
Codec ID                                 : 40
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 162 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 139 MiB (1%)

jerswing

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:54 pm

And now getting still more CRAP:at Roksbox/Wildtech website:  
"[size=150][font=OpenSansLight]NOTICE  Reset password failed: This user is blocked. If this is an error, please contact an administrator.[/font][/size]
Please enter the email address for your account. A verification code will be sent to you. Once you have received the verification code, you will be able to choose a new password for your account."

And - of course - absolutely NO WAY to actually Contact any Administrator --- assuming there actually IS one!     ARGGGGGHHH !!

RoadRanger

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:43 pm

Since the 7.7.0 update I can't watch most of my MP4 files on Roksbox Cloud anymore :( . Shorter ones seem to work? I get "There was an error in the HTTP response".
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database