Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

vbathory

Re: Streamming Local Media Channel Available for Testing

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:52 am

I got the art work to show up i put the movies in sub folder and it would not find the jpgs so i put the movies in the video folder and it worked. :)

aegl

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:06 am

Today it works! Did you fabulous people update the channel while I was sleeping?

Logs now show a correct: "GET /media/video/test.jpg HTTP/1.1"

WilDD
Topic Author

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:48 am

aegl wrote:
Today it works! Did you fabulous people update the channel while I was sleeping?

Logs now show a correct: "GET /media/video/test.jpg HTTP/1.1"

That's interesting. Nothing changed. Maybe the roksbox fairy waved her magic wand and made it work. :)

In reading your previous post, it looks like it should have worked before. There are several ways you can organize your videos and poster art. It all depends on how you specify it in your xml file. With Personal Video Database, it puts all poster art in a subfolder called images under the folder where your video is. If your videos are in media\video, then PVD will put the poster art in media\video\images, and will put an entry in the xml file that says <poster>images\poster-image.jpg</poster>.

If you are creating your own xml file, then you can put your poster art in the video folder if you want to, and the xml file would need to have <poster>poster-image.jpg</poster>.

As far as the file structure in the roksbox setup, you can have:

Media Path: media
Video Path: video

or

Media Path:
Video Path: media/video

If you have an alias set up called video, you would have:

Media Path:

aegl

Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:21 pm

Media Path:

An "alias" here is a windows thing on the server, right? Not a setting on the roksbox channel.

New question: What is the appropriate size for images to be used as "poster"s? The Roku is quite happily scaling the ones that I tested with to fit the DVD shaped rectangle, but my initial ones started with a close to square aspect ratio - which meant that people became very tall and thin :)

A few rough measurements on screen show that the largest that the channel uses posters are about 230x330 pixels. But if there is a precise figure for this it would be nice to make the image the right size. No sense in sending an overly high resolution image over the wire just to have the Roku down-sample it. Nor have distortions by sending the wrong aspect ratio.

WilDD
Topic Author

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:17 pm

aegl wrote:

Media Path:

An "alias" here is a windows thing on the server, right? Not a setting on the roksbox channel.

New question: What is the appropriate size for images to be used as "poster"s? The Roku is quite happily scaling the ones that I tested with to fit the DVD shaped rectangle, but my initial ones started with a close to square aspect ratio - which meant that people became very tall and thin :)

A few rough measurements on screen show that the largest that the channel uses posters are about 230x330 pixels. But if there is a precise figure for this it would be nice to make the image the right size. No sense in sending an overly high resolution image over the wire just to have the Roku down-sample it. Nor have distortions by sending the wrong aspect ratio.

You can set up an alias on the web server if you want to. An alias "points" to your media folders. For example, you could create an alias called Videos that "points" to C:\Media\Videos. Then you would specifiy this alias as the Video Path in roksbox. This is explained in the tutorial at http://roksbox.wikispaces.com/Tutorial.

According to the Roku Component Reference Guide, the video posters should be sized at Standard Definition=158x204, and High Definition=214x306. Other sizes will work, but as you said, they might turn out a little distorted, or if they are too big, they can slow down the navigation of roksbox. Most poster art that Personal Video Database downloads should be ok. I probably wouldn't bother resizing it, it is probably close enough the way it is.

dreinhard

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:00 am

I installed the private channel and web server 2 days ago and everything appears to work nicely. I am having some issues with the way the RVP is rebuffering the video after about 15 mns. but do not think it is a channel problem but more of how I am converting my mpg's to mp4's. It looks like you followed the developers pdf's very well. The channel looks and feels a lot like netflix and you are to be commended on this. It is also very responsive. All my jpg's are showing up for movies and descriptions, etc.... The one thing that I think is holding this channel back from being top notch is having to use genre for TV shows/episodes. A sub-catagory layout would finish this wonderful channel off. Do you have any plans on continuing development to code sub-catagories for multiple episode shows? Like I said the look and feel fits right in with everything else on the RVP.

Dave

noelc

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:19 pm

Thank you for creating and posting this channel. I really appreciate it.

I setup my web server to serve out videos only at this time. One thing that I forgot to do was change my firewall settings to allow the inbound request from the Roku. Other than my own machine's configuration problem, everything went great!

Thank you!

WilDD
Topic Author

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:55 pm

dreinhard wrote:
I installed the private channel and web server 2 days ago and everything appears to work nicely. I am having some issues with the way the RVP is rebuffering the video after about 15 mns. but do not think it is a channel problem but more of how I am converting my mpg's to mp4's. It looks like you followed the developers pdf's very well. The channel looks and feels a lot like netflix and you are to be commended on this. It is also very responsive. All my jpg's are showing up for movies and descriptions, etc.... The one thing that I think is holding this channel back from being top notch is having to use genre for TV shows/episodes. A sub-catagory layout would finish this wonderful channel off. Do you have any plans on continuing development to code sub-catagories for multiple episode shows? Like I said the look and feel fits right in with everything else on the RVP.

Dave

Dave -

Thanks for the compliments, and I'm glad you got things working relatively quickly. I am always open for suggestions on how to make the channel better, and I will continue development until I feel that I have either satisfied the needs of the users, or have reached the limits of the capabilities of the Roku DVP. Remember, the Roku DVP doesn't have a hard drive in it, so it is limited to it's internal memory, which isn't a whole lot. I keep thinking that I am pushing its capabilities to the limit now. Currently, one of my concerns is that as user's media libraries continue to grow, roksbox might not be able to handle what is being thrown at it. As you mentioned, it is very responsive. The part that will slow down as media libraries grow is the time between when you select the media you want to play (videos, music, or photos), and when the poster screen appears (the amount of time the roksbox logo is on the screen). That is when it is loading the xml file and converting in to categories or genres. As the xml file gets larger, that process will take longer. Once you get to the poster screen, it will always be responsive. But, will users become impatient on the longer appearing logo screen? Some probably will. I guess I'm rambling, but to answer your question about added features, the answer is yes, but only to the limit of the Roku DVP.

I am stil trying to "perfect" roksbox with its current features (I just added playlists to the music section). At some point, I would like to get a list of the most important features that users would like to see added.

aegl

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:08 pm

That is when it is loading the xml file and converting in to categories or genres.

Does the Roku SDK library require that all the information be in one giant xml file? Or could the genre sorting be done on the server so the roku would first pick up a top level xml file describing all the genres. Then when the user picks one on the roku, it would request the xml file for that genre.

dreinhard

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:44 am

WilDD wrote:
dreinhard wrote:

Dave

Dave -

Thanks for the compliments, and I'm glad you got things working relatively quickly. I am always open for suggestions on how to make the channel better, and I will continue development until I feel that I have either satisfied the needs of the users, or have reached the limits of the capabilities of the Roku DVP. Remember, the Roku DVP doesn't have a hard drive in it, so it is limited to it's internal memory, which isn't a whole lot. I keep thinking that I am pushing its capabilities to the limit now. Currently, one of my concerns is that as user's media libraries continue to grow, roksbox might not be able to handle what is being thrown at it. As you mentioned, it is very responsive. The part that will slow down as media libraries grow is the time between when you select the media you want to play (videos, music, or photos), and when the poster screen appears (the amount of time the roksbox logo is on the screen). That is when it is loading the xml file and converting in to categories or genres. As the xml file gets larger, that process will take longer. Once you get to the poster screen, it will always be responsive. But, will users become impatient on the longer appearing logo screen? Some probably will. I guess I'm rambling, but to answer your question about added features, the answer is yes, but only to the limit of the Roku DVP.

I am stil trying to "perfect" roksbox with its current features (I just added playlists to the music section). At some point, I would like to get a list of the most important features that users would like to see added.

WilDD,
I completely understand that RVP has limited resources. I to am a software developer (by trade) and am thinking about getting into the channel development realm during spair time. I took a look at the Brightscript language and it looks very straight forward. Almost vb script esq. I am big on ease of use and responsiveness and would never want to sacrifice that for more functionality. Sometimes it is better to say, "It is what it is"! Is it possible to have the RVP look at multiple xml files? Just a thought. If possible, if you code the dvp environment to look at multiple xml files, I will write a front end app for configuring these xml files.

Dave

WilDD
Topic Author

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:23 am

dreinhard wrote:
WilDD wrote:
dreinhard wrote:

Dave

Dave -

WilDD,
I completely understand that RVP has limited resources. I to am a software developer (by trade) and am thinking about getting into the channel development realm during spair time. I took a look at the Brightscript language and it looks very straight forward. Almost vb script esq. I am big on ease of use and responsiveness and would never want to sacrifice that for more functionality. Sometimes it is better to say, "It is what it is"! Is it possible to have the RVP look at multiple xml files? Just a thought. If possible, if you code the dvp environment to look at multiple xml files, I will write a front end app for configuring these xml files.

Dave

Yes, two xml files is certainly doable on the Roku side. When I first started working on this project, I tried to find a GUI program similar to Personal Video Database that would create two xml files, but I couldn't find one. PVD was the best program I could find that would produce a useable xml file. If you can write an application similar to PVD that produced two seperate xml files, then I'm sure I can make it work with roksbox. It would also be nice if it worked with Linux and OSX, but that might be asking too much.

Another option would be to take the xml from PVD and divide it into two seperate xml files.

And a third option would be to contact the developers of PVD and see if they would be willling change PVD so that it creates two seperate xml files. That would probably be fairly easy to do.

ugandy

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:38 am

WilDD wrote:
At some point, I would like to get a list of the most important features that users would like to see added.

Hi!

Is bookmarking possible with the current SDK?

Thanks,
h

WilDD
Topic Author

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:33 am

ugandy wrote:
WilDD wrote:
At some point, I would like to get a list of the most important features that users would like to see added.

Hi!

Is bookmarking possible with the current SDK?

Thanks,
h

I don't remember seeing anything in the SDK about bookmarking, but I wasn't really looking for it. I will check to see if there is anything there. I think it would be difficult to do, because it would require writing something back to the web server, possibly to a database, so the users would have to install and configure some type of database on their web server. It's still worth looking into though.

dreinhard

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:33 pm

After spending more time this afternoon and reading the SDK docs, it appears to me that having multiple xml files to each various menus would be the best way to go. It may be easier in the code to encorporate pointers to various xml files and have a few sub routine calls to access them. I could be off base on this but given the fact that the RVP is very limited on memory, everything should be read into memory realtime and released upon exiting. This MAY lead to a solution for sub-catagories, BOOKMARKS, placeholders for when a video is stopped and resumed at a later time, etc... Just some thoughts.

Dave

mforan

Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:04 pm

I note in a recent post you said: "I am stil trying to "perfect" roksbox with its current features (I just added playlists to the music section)." This is a feature I'd love to play with but I do not see how. Advise?
Better is the enemy of good enough.