Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

eluttmann

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:17 am

WilDD wrote:
Roksbox doesn't parse the first level of folders below the video root folder. It uses them as the main top level categories, then parses each one as you navigate to it. You can quickly navigate across the top level categories without parsing each one until you stop on it.

I don't know how PlayOn organizes its folders and sub folders, but the most efficient way when using Roksbox is to divide your content into as many folders as you can at the first level, then branch out from there. Let me know whether this is feasible or not. I think the idea of integrating Roksbox with PlayOn is good, and I am willing to help make it work.

Okay, what you describe is what (I think) I'd expect it to work ... which I believe will work well with the way PlayOn organizes it's internet video feeds. However, what I'm experiencing is that it seems to want the main top level structures to be orgainized as Genre (or something like that) - I figured it was attempting to read all videos in order to organize them that way, which seems to take forever and eventually locks up. If you want to take the discussion off the forum to talk more about the details and to debug this, you can email me at 'vmcPlayIt<at>gmail.com'.

Thanks for helping work with me to make it work,
- EricL

WilDD
Topic Author

Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:06 pm

hugacrv wrote:
WilDD wrote:
Make sure you don't have a slash (/) at the end of the Media Location. Also, make sure the Media Root Folder specification doesn't have spaces. If you still can't get it to work, and if there is a web access log file (and if you can find it), post it here.

Confirmed - no slash in Media Location & Media Root Folder is completely blank.

Roksbox still does not work

Here is the access log for today, I've tried numerous variations so I hope you can make sense of it

192.168.1.6 is the correct IP address for the host - I had changed it earlier in the thread in a moment of "security paranoia"
192.168.1.5 is the Roku Box
192.168.1.2 is my iPhone, used to confirm the setup

Here's what I've figured out so far:

Roksbox is seeing your web server since you are getting the log entries.
The problem seems to have something to do with the ~websharetest or %7Ewebsharetest (%7E is the hexadecimal code for ~) part. I can duplicate the 404 log entries on my web server by putting in an invalid entry at the end of my ip address (http://192.168.1.120/abc generates two 404 log entries). So, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the ~websharetest part. To verify this, you could put a Pictures folder at the http://192.168.1.6 root and see what happens. Make sure the Pictures folder has at least one subfolder and some jpg files in the subfolder. Also remove the /%7Ewebsharetest part in Roksbox.

hugacrv

Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:36 pm

WilDD wrote:

The problem seems to have something to do with the ~websharetest or %7Ewebsharetest (%7E is the hexadecimal code for ~) part. I can duplicate the 404 log entries on my web server by putting in an invalid entry at the end of my ip address (http://192.168.1.120/abc generates two 404 log entries). So, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the ~websharetest part. To verify this, you could put a Pictures folder at the http://192.168.1.6 root and see what happens. Make sure the Pictures folder has at least one subfolder and some jpg files in the subfolder. Also remove the /%7Ewebsharetest part in Roksbox.

I was using %7E because that's what you suggested to patwheel on page 54 of this thread and it seemed to solve his/her problem. I just changed that back to a ~ in my Media Location and it no longer turns into a ? HOWEVER, I still cannot use Roksbox.

I have tried all your suggestions with no success so at this point, I give up and will delete the Roksbox channel.

If anyone is able to produce an idiot-proof "Roksbox for Dummies on Mac" set of instructions, I'll be happy to try again. But for now, I'm defeated.

abe

Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:26 pm

I'm on a Mac as well an it was a bit confusing.

I couldn't get anything to work until I found this info and applied it:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TA25038?viewlocale=en_US

Once I did that I was able to access the files I had placed in my Web Share folder.

hugacrv wrote:
WilDD wrote:

I was using %7E because that's what you suggested to patwheel on page 54 of this thread and it seemed to solve his/her problem. I just changed that back to a ~ in my Media Location and it no longer turns into a ? HOWEVER, I still cannot use Roksbox.

I have tried all your suggestions with no success so at this point, I give up and will delete the Roksbox channel.

If anyone is able to produce an idiot-proof "Roksbox for Dummies on Mac" set of instructions, I'll be happy to try again. But for now, I'm defeated.

hugacrv

Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:48 pm

abe wrote:

Once I did that I was able to access the files I had placed in my Web Share folder.

I had already run into this problem and got it fixed. My issue now is that, despite having a properly functioning web server, Roksbox cannot see my media no matter how I configure it. (Please see my previous posts in this thread)

Could you post your configuration settings for both your Roku/Roksbox AND your Mac?

russws

Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Oops,

Well, I had tried Roksbox out some months ago, hadn't used it for awhile, and now there is a $15.00 registration fee. Ahh well, it was nice while it lasted.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:33 pm

russws wrote:
Oops,

Well, I had tried Roksbox out some months ago, hadn't used it for awhile, and now there is a $15.00 registration fee. Ahh well, it was nice while it lasted.

Well, given that there are 56 pages in this thread, maybe half of the posts by the developer giving help to people setting up his channel, I don't have a problem with a fee to pay him for all that development time.

ruser1

Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:18 pm

kc8pql wrote:
russws wrote:
Oops,

Well, given that there are 56 pages in this thread, maybe half of the posts by the developer giving help to people setting up his channel, I don't have a problem with a fee to pay him for all that development time.

Hi,
I've added this channel based on the following tutorial (first two hits when searching on google for "setup roksbox"): http://roksbox.wikispaces.com/Tutorial, according to which: "Roksbox is free. There is no registration required, no credit card required, and no personal information required."
Now, I created account at roksbox.com and realised that there is a $15 fee involved. (perhaps wikispaces should be updated?). Please note, I am not judging if the dev. and support of this effort worth the fee or not. All I am noting is that I've added this channel based on the no-fee info, and I don't really need this for a fee.
Could anyone tell me how can I delete this channel from my roku account (and perhaps also remove my account from roksbox.com)?
Thanks.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:18 pm

ruser1 wrote:
Could anyone tell me how can I delete this channel from my roku account ?
Thanks.

Channel Store>My Channels>Roxbox>Remove Channel

greubel

Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:12 pm

Anyone try Chaneru ?

abe

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:52 pm

I'm on 10.5.8 so not sure if there are any differences if you are on 10.6 yet or not.

Setting and structure on my Mac:

Web Sharing is turned on.

I have a folder named "media" with the "Sites" folder (Sites is located within your Home folder). I have placed a few test movies saved out using the recommend Handbrake setting within this "media" folder in a "videos" folder.

/Sites/media/videos/...all my video files...

Roksbox settings:

Web Server Address: I've entered the exact same address as what was listed under the personal website in the Web Sharing panel on my Mac.

Media Root Folder: media

Video Folder Path: videos

I deleted all the address for the xml files for all sections. I have not tried anything other than streaming video files from my computer with this channel. So I can't say how the Youtube, music or picture streaming is. But the above setting allowed me to stream video without issues once I created my 'user.conf' file that was missing.

I've yet to figured out how to change the location of my media from anywhere but the default Sites folder that the Apache server apparently uses. I would like to change that to an external hard drive. I've tried altering the user.conf file and using symbolic and alias links but nothing has worked so far. Its a pain having to not only re-encode the files but not being able to store them where I want.

Not sure if any of that helps or not but its what finally worked for me after experimenting.

hugacrv wrote:
abe wrote:

I had already run into this problem and got it fixed. My issue now is that, despite having a properly functioning web server, Roksbox cannot see my media no matter how I configure it. (Please see my previous posts in this thread)

Could you post your configuration settings for both your Roku/Roksbox AND your Mac?

Gilgamesh

Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:27 am

I tried to discover if this issue has been discussed earlier in this VERY long thread but I could not find it.

I have roksbox working just fine. I am using it only for movies and I am using a video.xml file generated by Personal Video Database.

This setup works fine except for one issue: From time to time I add a movie or two to the database, save the xml file, exit roxbox and then reenter it and all appears fine except at some point about half way through the xml file (someplace between the letters k and n usually) the pointers to the images for the movie go off by one or two spots. That is the mpg for say King Kong will be in the correct place but it will show the image for Looker and the images for all movies after King Kong will also be off.

The only way to fix this is to power down my Roku. But after a power down the movies and images will match correctly for all movies. This tells me that PDV is creating a correctly formated xml file but roxbox is failing to reread it correctly after reentering the ch.

Yes I do completely exit roxbox before reentering it. I have even gone to other chs and watched a movie before returning to find this problem.

If there are no changes to the xml then the issue never happens and, if the original xml is placed back in the correct location then the problem seems to go away. of course without the new movie info.

This is more of a irritant than a problem but it is more of an irritant now since I am in the process of adding a lot of my movies.

I currently have about 150 movies in my database and I expect the total to be around 400 or more once I am done.

BTW: I love the XML method of organizing the movies. It gives me so much more info like description, actors, directors and more. I used the directory structure with this and other streaming chs but that gives so much less info. I still keep my movies in the old structure but PVD picks up on this just fine and gets info for all my movies.

Thanks for any help on my issue.

Edit to add: I only have 8 chs currently on my Roku.

hugacrv

Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:41 am

abe wrote:

/Sites/media/videos/...all my video files...

Roksbox settings:

Web Server Address: I've entered the exact same address as what was listed under the personal website in the Web Sharing panel on my Mac.
Media Root Folder: media
Video Folder Path: videos

Not sure if any of that helps or not but its what finally worked for me after experimenting.

Thanks abe, that got me part of the way there.

I created /Sites/Media/Videos/ and the test video that I placed in there worked fine. However, when I created
/Sites/Media/Pictures/ by dragging an alias of the Pictures folder from my User directory to the /Sites/Media/ directory it did not work.

It seems that I should be able to point the /Sites/Media/ directory back to the correct folders in my User directory by using an alias so I don't have to move all of my media structure around (and probably break something else).

Anybody else got any clues?

PS - I only have 19 days left in the trial and still no success so I need to 1) find a fix FAST, 2) get an extension on my unregistered trial, or 3) try another solution (Chaneru?). I'm hoping for option #1

aegl

Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:29 am

Gilgamesh wrote:
That is the mpg for say King Kong will be in the correct place but it will show the image for Looker and the images for all movies after King Kong will also be off.

Does PVD generate "random" filenames for the posters for each movie - or are the posters named for the movie. I.e. does the XML entry for the "King Kong" movie end up with a poster named "23.jpg", or is it "king-kong.jpg"? If the filenames are random, it is possible that Roku is caching the poster image "23.jpg" which was attached to one movie, but then to a different movie when you added more movies.

Gilgamesh

Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:42 am

aegl wrote:
Does PVD generate "random" filenames for the posters for each movie - or are the posters named for the movie. I.e. does the XML entry for the "King Kong" movie end up with a poster named "23.jpg", or is it "king-kong.jpg"? If the filenames are random, it is possible that Roku is caching the poster image "23.jpg" which was attached to one movie, but then to a different movie when you added more movies.

That cannot be the case as simply rebooting the Roku cures the problem without changing anything else. However PVD generates regular file names for the images ie. King_Kong.mpg = King_Kong.jpg